LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
That is not a fair comparison. Kap is a QB. That's a much harder position to grasp and develop then a #2 tight end.

Yes it is more difficult but its funny how people will accept that QB's must develop but every other position must be good to go. TE is a tough position to play, even moreso if you didn't really play the position in college. I don't think it was unreasonable to expect that McDonald would need a full season to get up to speed, especially as a blocker. Long-term he's got a ton of talent and potential.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
People say he was drafted to replace D. Walker. It may be true, but D. Walker wasn't the Walker we know until about his 3rd year that he emerged as a complemetary weapon on offense . He was relegated mostly to special teams the first few years. We need to give McDonald another year to see his full potential.

This is true. But the problem is Delanie was a 6th round pick, so his path was understandable. Ideally, second rounders are supposed to come in and contribute more then he actually did, especially positions like a tight end.

McDonald contributed more than almost all of our 2'nd rd. picks in the last decade combined did in their first year. Here are our 2'nd rounders back to 2003. What did any of them do in their rookie season?
Lamichael James
Kaepernick
Taylor Mays
Chilo Rachal
David Baas
Justin Smiley
Anthony Adams

The answer? Virtually nothing.
[ Edited by Disp on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Disp:
McDonald contributed more than almost all of our 2'nd rd. picks in the last decade combined did in their first year. Here are our 2'nd rounders back to 2003. What did any of them do in their rookie season?
Lamichael James
Kaepernick
Taylor Mays
Chilo Rachal
David Baas
Justin Smiley
Anthony Adams

The answer? Virtually nothing.

This team sure had a woody for drafting guards in the 2nd round.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is true. But the problem is Delanie was a 6th, so that is understandable. Ideally, second rounders are supposed to come in and contribute more then he actually did.

You mean like Kaepernick did his rookie year? As long as a guy progresses and shows real improvement, that is what I'm most concerned about and McDonald did that. As I mentioned before, TE's take awhile to develop, a guy who was a slot WR from Rice, even moreso. McDonald did fine for what they asked him to do and he'll be the better player for it long term.

That is not a fair comparison. Kap is a QB. That's a much harder position to grasp and develop then a #2 tight end.

But, moving to the NFL is a bit more challenging for some. The fact that Mac made it onto the field is a good sign. Remember, were not too far removed from the 2012 draft. By comparison, Mac has been a success.

Agree. He did make it on the field so that is a good sign. At least he wasn't Jenkins. Although do you think Celek's injury had something to do with McDonald's playing time?

I don't remember.

Well, if McDonald wasn't ready, I'm of the opinion Tukafu(sp) would have been signed to play TE
This is true. But the problem is Delanie was a 6th, so that is understandable. Ideally, second rounders are supposed to come in and contribute more then he actually did.

You mean like Kaepernick did his rookie year? As long as a guy progresses and shows real improvement, that is what I'm most concerned about and McDonald did that. As I mentioned before, TE's take awhile to develop, a guy who was a slot WR from Rice, even moreso. McDonald did fine for what they asked him to do and he'll be the better player for it long term.

But, moving to the NFL is a bit more challenging for some. The fact that Mac made it onto the field is a good sign. Remember, were not too far removed from the 2012 draft. By comparison, Mac has been a success.

Agree. He did make it on the field so that is a good sign. At least he wasn't Jenkins. Although do you think Celek's injury had something to do with McDonald's playing time?

I don't remember.

Well, if McDonald wasn't ready, I'm of the opinion Tukafu(sp) would have been signed to play TE

Haha.

Well, Jenkins wasn't ready and got thrown out there due to injury. We didn't go and sign someone. That's what I was wondering. Whether McDonald's playing time was due to Celek's injury? I'm asking because i don't remember.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:48 PM ]
vance is the 2nd most underrated player on our team behind only k hunter. people keep overreacting an sayin ooooo he dropped 2 balls what A BUST! actualy WATCH the plays this guy made in his rookie year thats completely wrong. he barely ever got thrownt he ball and ya he had a coupe drops but when he got it HE RAN OVER DEFENDERS. im sure none of u saw his catch when he plowed thru sherman like he was a piece of paper. hes good at blocking but ever better at runin witht he ball, we cud have used him this year but once again our staff does not use players appropiately he wud have been crucial in seattle. watch him int he GB game at the stick. we need to use him an hunter way more
Originally posted by stefano89:
. im sure none of u saw his catch when he plowed thru sherman like he was a piece of paper.

Oh, I saw it. It's my favorite Vance McDonald moment!
I don't think we've scratched the surface on what he is, or isn't! Hard to take a stance either way on Vance at this point. We can be optimistic because he's shown understanding and improvement in blocking/assignments but really, 2014 is a big year for 89.

Okay, that's just awesome.

McDonald will be fine.

The 49ers tend to take raw but incredibly athletic players with the thought that they can coach them to be great players. McDonald is no different.

We'll see if it pans out, but this season was all about learnigh somehting he didn't do alot of in college...block. He'll be a better player next year.
vance is the 2nd most underrated player on our team behind only k hunter. people keep overreacting an sayin ooooo he dropped 2 balls what A BUST! actualy WATCH the plays this guy made in his rookie year thats completely wrong. he barely ever got thrownt he ball and ya he had a coupe drops but when he got it HE RAN OVER DEFENDERS. im sure none of u saw his catch when he plowed thru sherman like he was a piece of paper. hes good at blocking but ever better at runin witht he ball, we cud have used him this year but once again our staff does not use players appropiately he wud have been crucial in seattle. watch him int he GB game at the stick. we need to use him an hunter way more

This coaching staff wouldn't know what to do with an underneath pass catching tight end if one fell down from heaven and landed on their heads.

Maybe it has.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

This coaching staff wouldn't know what to do with an underneath pass catching tight end if one fell down from heaven and landed on their heads.

Maybe it has.

Why we did not see him catch at least 20 passes in the flat off bootleg rollouts is beyond me.
Sure. Yeah. Sentiments like that.
I hope this guys off season includes a heavy dose of the juggs and getting stronger. We saw some glimpses and I think McDonald can be a stud with dedication.
Share 49ersWebzone