LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Dude was a major disappointment. Blocking tight ends are a dime a dozen. Hopefully he steps it up.
People say he was drafted to replace D. Walker. It may be true, but D. Walker wasn't the Walker we know until about his 3rd year that he emerged as a complemetary weapon on offense . He was relegated mostly to special teams the first few years. We need to give McDonald another year to see his full potential.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
People say he was drafted to replace D. Walker. It may be true, but D. Walker wasn't the Walker we know until about his 3rd year that he emerged as a complemetary weapon on offense . He was relegated mostly to special teams the first few years. We need to give McDonald another year to see his full potential.

This is true. But the problem is Delanie was a 6th round pick, so his path was understandable. Ideally, second rounders are supposed to come in and contribute more then he actually did, especially positions like a tight end.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:25 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Dude was a major disappointment. Blocking tight ends are a dime a dozen. Hopefully he steps it up.

I know right, 19 targets all season long and he couldn't crack 1,000 yards receiving, he's a bum.
This is true. But the problem is Delanie was a 6th, so that is understandable. Ideally, second rounders are supposed to come in and contribute more then he actually did.

You mean like Kaepernick did his rookie year? As long as a guy progresses and shows real improvement, that is what I'm most concerned about and McDonald did that. As I mentioned before, TE's take awhile to develop, a guy who was a slot WR from Rice, even moreso. McDonald did fine for what they asked him to do and he'll be the better player for it long term.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I know right, 19 targets all season long and he couldn't crack 1,000 yards receiving, he's a bum.

lol yeah our passing offense is anemic so that has a lot to do with it.

I do have to admit when he actually got the ball in his hands he made some sweet plays (hurdle in preseason and the trucking of Sperman).
This is true. But the problem is Delanie was a 6th, so that is understandable. Ideally, second rounders are supposed to come in and contribute more then he actually did.

You mean like Kaepernick did his rookie year? As long as a guy progresses and shows real improvement, that is what I'm most concerned about and McDonald did that. As I mentioned before, TE's take awhile to develop, a guy who was a slot WR from Rice, even moreso. McDonald did fine for what they asked him to do and he'll be the better player for it long term.

That is not a fair comparison. Kap is a QB. That's a much harder position to grasp and develop then a #2 tight end.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:28 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
I swear in the preseason I saw him run routes where he ran right into the LB, pushed off, then turn and catch a pass. Easy 7 yards using his big frame to shield the defender from the pass. That's what had me so excited for this guy coming into the season. Such an easy bullet throw for Kap right over the middle where defenders don't have much time to react. Didn't really see that much.

Here's Vance's longest catch of the season (25 yards). Week 1 on the second offensive drive for the 49ers. Doesn't get much earlier in the season than this.

Just finding a quiet area in the middle of the field. Love how he catches the pass and turns upfield right away, no wasted movement. So this play got me even more excited for the guy. Then, not much the rest of the way.

I know this is off topic for this thread, but I'd like to point out that Kaepernick looks to his right and wants to go there, sees that the receiver is covered and comes back over the middle to McDonald. And yet, I'm absolutely certain that some people on these boards will continue to repeat the words "one-read QB" over and over despite any evidence to the contrary.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

That is not a fair comparison. Kap is a QB. That's a much harder position to grasp and develop then a #2 tight end.

But, moving to the NFL is a bit more challenging for some. The fact that Mac made it onto the field is a good sign. Remember, were not too far removed from the 2012 draft. By comparison, Mac has been a success.
Originally posted by Geeked:

But, moving to the NFL is a bit more challenging for some. The fact that Mac made it onto the field is a good sign. Remember, were not too far removed from the 2012 draft. By comparison, Mac has been a success.

Agree. He did make it on the field so that is a good sign. At least he wasn't Jenkins. Although do you think Celek's injury had something to do with McDonald's playing time?

I don't remember.

Originally posted by crake49:
I know this is off topic for this thread, but I'd like to point out that Kaepernick looks to his right and wants to go there, sees that the receiver is covered and comes back over the middle to McDonald. And yet, I'm absolutely certain that some people on these boards will continue to repeat the words "one-read QB" over and over despite any evidence to the contrary.

Whenever we go 4+ (sometimes 3) receiver sets, that's typically a pro-style play (spread like) so this is when you can expect to see CK scan the field ala Brady and just pick the best option. I love these formations. And he'll always be in shotgun. Even Gore (check down) is a receiver here...wide open as well. Many options to choose.

That was a sweet play. Ignored the check down and went up the field for a first.

The One-Read guys, ironically, are also "one read" guys. Meaning that they read one article about Kap being a one-read QB and that's final. They need to stop starting down one grant cohn article and scan through different articles and choose a better read.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 31, 2014 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Whenever we go 4+ (sometimes 3) receiver sets, that's typically a pro-style play (spread like) so this is when you can expect to see CK scan the field ala Brady and just pick the best option. I love these formations. And he'll always be in shotgun. Even Gore (check down) is a receiver here...wide open as well. Many options to choose.

Right. I'm hoping that as he progresses at playing the position from the pocket, they'll go to these formations more often. But the point is, when will his detractors stop repeating that mantra that he's a "one-read" QB?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

This is true. But the problem is Delanie was a 6th round pick, so his path was understandable. Ideally, second rounders are supposed to come in and contribute more then he actually did, especially positions like a tight end.

Don't think his draft position can help him with a cohesive offense that the Niners are running. It's not like we are running the simple Ray gun and just plug in Crabtree and adapted to his usual routes in college. The offense has been around for 2 years for most of the guys on offense. They are not going to change it up for a rookie 2nd rounder TE. McDonald has to to learn it.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Right. I'm hoping that as he progresses at playing the position from the pocket, they'll go to these formations more often. But the point is, when will his detractors stop repeating that mantra that he's a "one-read" QB?

Remember, PLAY DESIGN often times dictates the "one read" BS. CK is and CAN read through progressions...he's just had limited opportunities here in SF and he will continue to get better the more PS plays are added and we have all the weapons on the field. Also, I'd almost rather put CK in shotgun and run out 4 to 5 receiving options on every single play and let him pick the best option like here. He's a smart guy. He had about 3 options on this play alone.
Share 49ersWebzone