There are 183 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
Originally posted by Nuns:
He does. He moves well at that size. His 40 time was pretty impressive if I remember correctly. I expect him to be a John Frank type tight end.

He ran a 4.7 forty yard dash. Big frickin deal. He doesn't play to his speed. He didn't run a fast 40, but a fast forty for a guy his size. Which means overall he's not a fast tight end. More importantly he didn't get separation when he ran his routes, which is fine if he would just use his size and outmuscle guys for the ball when it's in the air ala Anquan Boldin, but he just doesn't have that killer in him to fight for balls. Just what I see.

Celek has some nice hands and it runs in his family as his brother Brent is a nice TE for the Eagles. Not giving up on McDonald, but Celek is a young guy as well and may the best man play.

"McDonald, like the departed Walker, doesn't have the greatest ball skills. He's capable of catching any pass but can have trouble adjusting to the defense mid-route and to the ball in flight. With Colin Kaepernick's howitzer of a right arm, McDonald won't have much time to think when catching passes from No. 7." (Niners Nation 4/6/2013).

McDonald has played a total one year in the NFL.

It might be a bit early to write his definitive football obituary.

I do have a question. Are you from Gilroy?
Vance had a bad year and it did not help when Harbaugh hyped him up to take Mike Ditka's number. He had 2 key drops, that may have made a difference in a game. With that said he has shown flashes. His blocking was good, extremely good considering he was a hybrid TE slot receiver out of Rice. His athleticism can be seen on the field, the Sherman truck and hurdling over tacklers. If he works hard and continues to get a better understanding he could develop to become one of the best #2 TE in the league which really is not asking much.
Originally posted by NCommand:
100% agree...and I wanted Ertz or Fleener as well. But your point is spot on...how many targets did he get the past three games against Seattle? He got 2 targets. 1 he RAC's and trucks Sherman for 19. The other was in the NFCCG and goes for 13.

And then we never go back to him again...

Fleener has pretty inconsistent hands too, but he gets more targets and his steadily improving...I think its is flat out stupid to call any player a bust after one year. Some players take time to develop. To many people expect everything now, probably were spoiled children.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Decent read. Hopefully he gets targeted a few times a game next year. I still think he can be a huge weapon.

Why do a lot of you guys think he can be a "huge weapon" in the NFL? That's a big statement. What has he shown for us to conclude that? His speed is below average at this level, his hands haven't translated. I just don't get how you can feel that way right now.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
100% agree...and I wanted Ertz or Fleener as well. But your point is spot on...how many targets did he get the past three games against Seattle? He got 2 targets. 1 he RAC's and trucks Sherman for 19. The other was in the NFCCG and goes for 13.

Fleener has pretty inconsistent hands too, but he gets more targets and his steadily improving...I think its is flat out stupid to call any player a bust after one year. Some players take time to develop. To many people expect everything now, probably were spoiled children.

Quite simply, Fleener had 106 targets. McDonald has had 19. It's that simple.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i wonder why that was? hmm. he gets a nice 20 yard catch vs the hawks and then, as certain people whose name i will not mention but whose initials are greg potatoe , decided that we can not try to run that play again

Once again, we run into a problem with our passing offense. It just is not designed to take advantage of the talents of multiple guys. It is basically, "Ok Frank. You try to rush us to the first down. If you don't get it, Receivers you bail us out. Now you guys figure this thing out while I go find some pancakes."
[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:25 AM ]
First and foremost, he has to be a better run blocker. Can't see taking one of our other weapons off the field for him right now, now even Miller.
Originally posted by socalniner:
First and foremost, he has to be a better run blocker. Can't see taking one of our other weapons off the field for him right now, now even Miller.

That's the thing. Run blocking was not his specialty in college. He is learning that aspect. What he excelled at in college was his receiving. He is bigger and faster than most guys. Yet, we just have to beat our heads against a wall and have him do what he is weakest at 98% of the time.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Once again, we run into a problem with our passing offense. It just is not designed to take advantage of the talents of multiple guys. It is basically, "Ok Frank. You try to rush us to the first down. If you don't get it, Receivers you bail us out. Now you guys figure this thing out while I go find some pancakes."

Yup...and even with AR being a platform for our passing game, it's not like we couldn't scheme McDonald open like we did on the two aforementioned plays. But it's one-and-done. Throw the dog some bones!

Originally posted by socalniner:

That's the thing. Run blocking was not his specialty in college. He is learning that aspect. What he excelled at in college was his receiving. He is bigger and faster than most guys. Yet, we just have to beat our heads against a wall and have him do what he is weakest at 98% of the time.

Well given we only saw 19 targets all year, I actually thought he became one of our better blockers. I would have loved to see him used in the passing game (he was always wide open on the check-downs and delayed flare-outs) and continue to exploit the Hawks (b/c you know they weren't game planning for him). Nah...Crabtree fade it is.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:38 AM ]
  • thl408

Agreed. He even got handoffs in the backfield when in college. He was doing something completely different than what he was accustomed to in his rookie season, blocking LBs and DEs. His few comments in that article suggests that the coaching staff really focused on his blocking as he mentioned balance and technique. I seriously doubt the 49ers traded up to draft a purely blocking TE. Then again, I also doubt the 49ers spent a 2nd rounder on a KR/PR (LMJ), but it's turning out that way.

I don't think it's wrong to get him developed in the blocking aspect. In this offense, it appears the 2nd TE has to be a good blocker (DWalker) so that VD can go run routes. When lined up in the 2TE set, the 49ers have to be able to run to either side effectively (VD's side or Vance's side). Agreed he has to hit the juggs machine. As a TE working the middle of the field, he should expect to get popped as soon as the ball arrives. Need to quickly secure the catch.
Well given we only saw 19 targets all year, I actually thought he became one of our better blockers. I would have loved to see him used in the passing game (he was always wide open on the check-downs and delayed flare-outs) and continue to exploit the Hawks (b/c you know they weren't game planning for him). Nah...Crabtree fade it is.
Same her. I had no clue who he was when the 49ers drafted him since i dont follow collage football . I Always though he was a"blocking TE" But yeah im surprised why they didnt throw more his way. I remeber i while back i was watching some NFL Network program and they were showing John Elway and he mentioned that Mike Shanahan always called "option sprint right" as there go to play for TD'S in crucial moments.(they called it in the AFC Championchip and SuperBowl) both TD'S.

49ERS Anti-TD'S Play is the "Kaep2Crabtree Fade"
Just gonna leave this here.

""Other than an outlier or two, tight ends simply haven't produced in their rookie seasons.""

McDonald was a college slot receiver that transitioned to a TE in the NFL, anyone who thought he was going to come in and tear s**t up from the get-go was out of their minds. Your average TE already has a steep hill to climb, a guy who basically has to learn the position has it even tougher. I think his improvement as a blocker was huge and that he'll be a good weapon for this offense in the future.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this dude blows. he better be on that juggs machine all offseason like Vernon did when he had stone hands

Chargers fans said the same thing about Ladarius Green after he had 56 yards receiving his rookie year and dropped a bunch of passes. You think they're still mad now that he had about 400 yards receiving as the #2 TE this past season? Tight-ends take time to develop, Gavin Escobar played for pass happy Dallas, he had about 15 more yards receiving than McDonald.
Share 49ersWebzone