There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

Originally posted by NCommand:
BTW: I'm watching this "stumble" by McDonald on DVR and I'm not so sure he even stumbled. CK threw it out too far (not off much but more of a throw where VD would have been with his speed) and McDonald looked like he was half diving just to get a hand on it. Anyone else see that? The ball was coming in hot.

Re-watched the play a few times on NFL Rewind and I think you're right. The pass was just slightly out of reach. One positive is that Kap threw it just before Vance made his break (threw him open). Literally just inches, or a fraction of a second, off from being a big play. Should get better with repetition.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
BTW: I'm watching this "stumble" by McDonald on DVR and I'm not so sure he even stumbled. CK threw it out too far (not off much but more of a throw where VD would have been with his speed) and McDonald looked like he was half diving just to get a hand on it. Anyone else see that? The ball was coming in hot.

Re-watched the play a few times on NFL Rewind and I think you're right. The pass was just slightly out of reach. One positive is that Kap threw it just before Vance made his break (threw him open). Literally just inches, or a fraction of a second, off from being a big play.

100% agree...I think most just heard Gruden saying he just stumbled and ran with it. That ball seemed to come down hot/heavy and it was mere inches away from being a big completion and the best part is, like you said, CK threw before he made his break. Again, HaRoMan, come BACK to that again. Or use VD. It was a great play design.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Re-watched the play a few times on NFL Rewind and I think you're right. The pass was just slightly out of reach. One positive is that Kap threw it just before Vance made his break (threw him open). Literally just inches, or a fraction of a second, off from being a big play.

100% agree...I think most just heard Gruden saying he just stumbled and ran with it. That ball seemed to come down hot/heavy and it was mere inches away from being a big completion and the best part is, like you said, CK threw before he made his break. Again, HaRoMan, come BACK to that again. Or use VD. It was a great play design.

Yup. I see it as a classic case of two young guys who need continuous reps to get their timing down. HaRoMan should go back to it. It was good play design and it's only a matter of time before it starts paying serious dividends. Vance can really move well for his size. I still have a good feeling about him.
Dude started stumbling had he kept running he would have caught it in stride.
Originally posted by susweel:

From what i saw, Kaep anticipated a break to the outside and threw it up, And when Mcdonald cut, he fell down.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

From what i saw, Kaep anticipated a break to the outside and threw it up, And when Mcdonald cut, he fell down.

These!!
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

These!!

McDonald has been an epic fail this season. I expect a drop every time he gets a pass thrown his way. No wonder kap hates throwing to him.
patience, Sus, patience. This is his blocking yr. He's a rook , remember. They don't get but 3 or 4 chances a season. Blocking has been splendid.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
patience, Sus, patience. This is his blocking yr. He's a rook , remember. They don't get but 3 or 4 chances a season. Blocking has been splendid.

yah Im sure he'll get better but I expected more than a blocker for a second round pick.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

yah Im sure he'll get better but I expected more than a blocker for a second round pick.

I would argue that McDonald isn't an improvement over Celek. At least Celek is reliable for a few catches. Obviously Celek's blocking isn't as good, but drops kill drives. If you commit those on a regular basis, you'll be left out of this offense. Boldin, Crabtree, Davis, Gore and Kendall are proven. Patton and McDonald aren't. Interesting to see Osgood. His size can be useful for blocking, and he did have a good reception last game, LMJ remains a mystery.
yall act like he drops every pass... Are yall ignoring those stats I listed in the previous page? Expecting more from a second round pick is totally understandable, but don't at like we haven't seen this before.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
yall act like he drops every pass... Are yall ignoring those stats I listed in the previous page? Expecting more from a second round pick is totally understandable, but don't at like we haven't seen this before.

I saw those. But VD made some wow plays even though he dropped passes. Like that TD against GB where he burned everyone. McDonald is dropping passes and is just a blocker, which are dime-a-dozen in this league. He hasn't shown anything special except the trucking of the royal highness of Seattle, Sherman.

Its too early, but so far, so meh.

Davis was very inconsistent in his rookie year, but there were a few plays that you knew he was going to be good down the road. Obviously we didn't expect him to become one of the best TEs ever, but there was a lot of potential. He had a long TD against GB that kept me going. I just don't see the necessary athleticism. He's big and he's fast, but he's missing something.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Davis was very inconsistent in his rookie year, but there were a few plays that you knew he was going to be good down the road. Obviously we didn't expect him to become one of the best TEs ever, but there was a lot of potential. He had a long TD against GB that kept me going. I just don't see the necessary athleticism. He's big and he's fast, but he's missing something.

SWAG?
Could have just drafted Zach Ertz but baalke always trying to out smart everyone.

No wonder Harbaugh is gonna get rid of him.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home