There are 203 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
People who are talking about keeping perspective and bring up Delanie need to remember one things themselves... Delanie was a 6th round pick and it's great he turned out as well as he has. If he was a bust no one would have batted an eyelash. Vance on the other hand is a 2nd round pick. Is it wrong to expect a bit more?

I understand he doesn't get many opportunities but that's all the more reason to make the most of it when you do. When we are only passing 50% of the time a receivers mistakes become more glaring.

Well I did say that it shouldn't take as long to come around as Delanie did. However, rookie, year, few targets, I'm not mad at all. Someone stated it was 19 on the entire year I believe. I'd like to see him do more, but I'd also like to see him get more opportunities.

Totally agree.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Why are people loving this pick? He's big and fast in a straight line, that's about it. His hands are VERY suspect, and I don't see clean routes. I don't know, maybe this one of those "we'll coach him up" picks. Hopefully I'm wrong.

So far you are right

Not something I wanted to be right about. Hopefully he turns it around.
BTW: I'm watching this "stumble" by McDonald on DVR and I'm not so sure he even stumbled. CK threw it out too far (not off much but more of a throw where VD would have been with his speed) and McDonald looked like he was half diving just to get a hand on it. Anyone else see that? The ball was coming in hot.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He is on the field logging important minutes and actually contributing unlike ... AJJ
Absolutely. Don't take my post as being a Vance hater. I just wanted to add some perspective. He makes key blocks, but it hurts to watch him miss what could be huge catches (ie:the panthers one).

I'm happy with Vance and I'm sure he'll improve given time. You just expect more out of a second round pick though.

Why do people keep saying he "missed it." Go watch the play again...Luke may one HELL of a play on McDonald's arm, ripping it back to ensure McDonald couldn't fully tuck it in. It was just another great play by Luke. NOT a poor play by McDonald. He did his part...
Originally posted by NCommand:
BTW: I'm watching this "stumble" by McDonald on DVR and I'm not so sure he even stumbled. CK threw it out too far (not off much but more of a throw where VD would have been with his speed) and McDonald looked like he was half diving just to get a hand on it. Anyone else see that? The ball was coming in hot.

Re-watched the play a few times on NFL Rewind and I think you're right. The pass was just slightly out of reach. One positive is that Kap threw it just before Vance made his break (threw him open). Literally just inches, or a fraction of a second, off from being a big play. Should get better with repetition.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Dec 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Re-watched the play a few times on NFL Rewind and I think you're right. The pass was just slightly out of reach. One positive is that Kap threw it just before Vance made his break (threw him open). Literally just inches, or a fraction of a second, off from being a big play.

100% agree...I think most just heard Gruden saying he just stumbled and ran with it. That ball seemed to come down hot/heavy and it was mere inches away from being a big completion and the best part is, like you said, CK threw before he made his break. Again, HaRoMan, come BACK to that again. Or use VD. It was a great play design.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Re-watched the play a few times on NFL Rewind and I think you're right. The pass was just slightly out of reach. One positive is that Kap threw it just before Vance made his break (threw him open). Literally just inches, or a fraction of a second, off from being a big play.

100% agree...I think most just heard Gruden saying he just stumbled and ran with it. That ball seemed to come down hot/heavy and it was mere inches away from being a big completion and the best part is, like you said, CK threw before he made his break. Again, HaRoMan, come BACK to that again. Or use VD. It was a great play design.

Yup. I see it as a classic case of two young guys who need continuous reps to get their timing down. HaRoMan should go back to it. It was good play design and it's only a matter of time before it starts paying serious dividends. Vance can really move well for his size. I still have a good feeling about him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Dude started stumbling had he kept running he would have caught it in stride.
Originally posted by susweel:

From what i saw, Kaep anticipated a break to the outside and threw it up, And when Mcdonald cut, he fell down.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

From what i saw, Kaep anticipated a break to the outside and threw it up, And when Mcdonald cut, he fell down.

These!!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

These!!

McDonald has been an epic fail this season. I expect a drop every time he gets a pass thrown his way. No wonder kap hates throwing to him.
patience, Sus, patience. This is his blocking yr. He's a rook , remember. They don't get but 3 or 4 chances a season. Blocking has been splendid.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
patience, Sus, patience. This is his blocking yr. He's a rook , remember. They don't get but 3 or 4 chances a season. Blocking has been splendid.

yah Im sure he'll get better but I expected more than a blocker for a second round pick.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

yah Im sure he'll get better but I expected more than a blocker for a second round pick.

I would argue that McDonald isn't an improvement over Celek. At least Celek is reliable for a few catches. Obviously Celek's blocking isn't as good, but drops kill drives. If you commit those on a regular basis, you'll be left out of this offense. Boldin, Crabtree, Davis, Gore and Kendall are proven. Patton and McDonald aren't. Interesting to see Osgood. His size can be useful for blocking, and he did have a good reception last game, LMJ remains a mystery.
yall act like he drops every pass... Are yall ignoring those stats I listed in the previous page? Expecting more from a second round pick is totally understandable, but don't at like we haven't seen this before.
Share 49ersWebzone