LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Yes he has messed up both times they threw him the ball. He has to be developed. Vernon was terrible his first year. Guy had the same exact issues that Vance has now. Actually keep throwing the ball to him. Delanie was terrible last year. How many passes did he drop.

lol VD scored a TD in his first game and suffered a broken leg in his rookie season causing him to miss valuable time. vance is NOTHING like VD in his first year. vernon did (and DOES) have drop problems, but you could see the talent was there. vance has shown none of this. his routes are sloppy and he doesn't have good hands

Vance has shown (so far) that he is a solid blocker and not much more (which could be a fail on Baalke's part if he doesn't eventually come around spending a 2nd rounder on a blocking TE ). Being young and a rookie is just not a good enough excuse for not being able to catch a friggin pass this far in the year STILL. He flubs almost every single time he's targeted.
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Dec 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
McDonald hasn't been getting the same number of opportunities as Davis. Do you think he would get drop every pass thrown his way?

you can see the physical talent is there. But he's still a rookie in the mental aspect of the game.....but we are doing him no favors throwing him 1 -2 passes a game. Some in Big time situations. (late in the game 3rd and 2 bullet slant pass against the Rams).... (close game against the Panthers, key deep pass)

should've caught both passes yes, but I would hope we can see he is struggling and get him simple passes to help build get him in the rythem...

simple ones like these that he can quickly turn around and use his athleticism.

or heck like I mentioned earlier, quick screen pass to him in a formation opposite of Vernon.... or screen to him, off a playaction to Gore.

this league is sometimes capitalizing on the opportunities you do get which would lead to MORE opportunities. vance has had plenty of opportunities to make an impression. he was junk against the colts, he failed to haul in a big time pass from kap against the panthers, he "slipped" on MNF in a big spot... and on and on. no, he doesn't get a ton of opportunities but why would he expect to get MORE when he can't take advantage of the times he has gotten his number called?

i dont think he is a bust at this point but even given his limited chances he has been a huge disappointment to me
  • Veteran
Trade him for another seventh round draft pick.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
McDonald hasn't been getting the same number of opportunities as Davis. Do you think he would get drop every pass thrown his way?

you can see the physical talent is there. But he's still a rookie in the mental aspect of the game.....but we are doing him no favors throwing him 1 -2 passes a game. Some in Big time situations. (late in the game 3rd and 2 bullet slant pass against the Rams).... (close game against the Panthers, key deep pass)

should've caught both passes yes, but I would hope we can see he is struggling and get him simple passes to help build get him in the rythem...

simple ones like these that he can quickly turn around and use his athleticism.

or heck like I mentioned earlier, quick screen pass to him in a formation opposite of Vernon.... or screen to him, off a playaction to Gore.

this league is sometimes capitalizing on the opportunities you do get which would lead to MORE opportunities. vance has had plenty of opportunities to make an impression. he was junk against the colts, he failed to haul in a big time pass from kap against the panthers, he "slipped" on MNF in a big spot... and on and on. no, he doesn't get a ton of opportunities but why would he expect to get MORE when he can't take advantage of the times he has gotten his number called?

i dont think he is a bust at this point but even given his limited chances he has been a huge disappointment to me

being that we are in a different situation than we were in during Vernon's rookie year, I understand why Vance isn't getting the same opportunities to grow...like Vernon did.

when you have Boldin, Crabtree, Vernon, and you are a running team...and you are making a run at the playoffs at the hopes of a SuperBowl..... yet I understand it. BUT

I think he could be a valuable weapon in the playoffs for us.....it would've been worth throwing passes his way, than the ones we'd design to Miller.

but yes this league is all about making the best of your opportunities.
I have a different beef than others. I'm not saying he will be a career bust. I think he will be decent or solid in the future. A good #2 TE, or a decent starter maybe. But, this year, he has sucked as a receiver. I know he is a rookie, but for being a high pick he has disappointed. Not asking him to move mountains, but he has had a couple of big opportunities and failed. We are a super bowl caliber team and everyone has to be held accountable. Even our super high draft picks. This is the NFL and he is a professional. Its okay if we don't all kiss his ass and be nice to him.

After losing Delanie, we were counting on him for a couple of receptions per game. Maybe a few big plays in the year. He has not done that. Best thing he has done is trucked Richard Sherman.
Originally posted by sacniner:
I have a different beef than others. I'm not saying he will be a career bust. I think he will be decent or solid in the future. A good #2 TE, or a decent starter maybe. But, this year, he has sucked as a receiver. I know he is a rookie, but for being a high pick he has disappointed. Not asking him to move mountains, but he has had a couple of big opportunities and failed. We are a super bowl caliber team and everyone has to be held accountable. Even our super high draft picks. This is the NFL and he is a professional. Its okay if we don't all kiss his ass and be nice to him.

After losing Delanie, we were counting on him for a couple of receptions per game. Maybe a few big plays in the year. He has not done that. Best thing he has done is trucked Richard Sherman.

Just remember, Delanie wasn't much for years. I don't think Vance should take as long, but have a little perspective.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by sacniner:

Just remember, Delanie wasn't much for years. I don't think Vance should take as long, but have a little perspective.

You may be right, but I'm only talking about this year. I'm not trying to be an arm chair scout or psychic. We can only judge from what we've seen. On this type of team, the time is now. Potential is great, but we are Super Bowl contender and he was drafted with the idea of contributing this year. He was a high pick and in today's NFL high picks are usually counted on to contribute immediately.
I'm not sure why he hasn't been able to capitalize on his opportunities...strange...maybe it's just an opportunities thing...
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Not to mention Vernon Davis too. He couldn't catch a cold his first few seasons.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Dec 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM ]
People who are talking about keeping perspective and bring up Delanie need to remember one things themselves... Delanie was a 6th round pick and it's great he turned out as well as he has. If he was a bust no one would have batted an eyelash. Vance on the other hand is a 2nd round pick. Is it wrong to expect a bit more?

I understand he doesn't get many opportunities but that's all the more reason to make the most of it when you do. When we are only passing 50% of the time a receivers mistakes become more glaring.

Originally posted by Dsoto87:
People who are talking about keeping perspective and bring up Delanie need to remember one things themselves... Delanie was a 6th round pick and it's great he turned out as well as he has. If he was a bust no one would have batted an eyelash. Vance on the other hand is a 2nd round pick. Is it wrong to expect a bit more?

I understand he doesn't get many opportunities but that's all the more reason to make the most of it when you do. When we are only passing 50% of the time a receivers mistakes become more glaring.

He is on the field logging important minutes and actually contributing unlike ... AJJ

forget Delanie for a second...besides he never had dropping issues before last year. BUT

Vernon was the 6th overall pick and was dropping many passes.

here are some interesting stats.

in Vernon's rookie year he caught

20/42 passes so alittle less than half.......for 265 yards

in Vance's rookie year so far he has caught

8/19 passes so again alittle less than half...for 119 yards (which is alittle less yards than half of Vernon's total yards, in less than half the targets)

so basically.... Vance is playing like Vernon did in his rookie season....stat wise. Both are averaged about the same yards per catch (Vernon 13.3, Vance 14.9)

now yes Vernon only played in 10 games...but again I think Target to catch ratio is what matters here.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Dec 25, 2013 at 3:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
He is on the field logging important minutes and actually contributing unlike ... AJJ
Absolutely. Don't take my post as being a Vance hater. I just wanted to add some perspective. He makes key blocks, but it hurts to watch him miss what could be huge catches (ie:the panthers one).

I'm happy with Vance and I'm sure he'll improve given time. You just expect more out of a second round pick though.
I believe there is an offensive mindset of JH that you don't get to handle the ball til you prove yourself by knowing the plays and then blocking for all those plays. After that you may get a few crumbs. Also it is impressive the time vance is getting on the field because he is a rook...and coach doesn't think much of rooks. The mere fact he is playing is a good sign for me.

Oh, also don't forget Kassim lining up at RE or maybe RT and nobody on the D was within 10 yds of him, and he handled that pass like an egg. The guy towered over the DE, the LBs, everybody. He will be fun to watch in the future. Love to see that play again.

Well I did say that it shouldn't take as long to come around as Delanie did. However, rookie, year, few targets, I'm not mad at all. Someone stated it was 19 on the entire year I believe. I'd like to see him do more, but I'd also like to see him get more opportunities.
Share 49ersWebzone