There are 179 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

the new whipping boy, hey someone has to be it
Here is a concept the zone struggles with it's called develop players. Guy never expects the ball. Why? Kap never throws it to him. Guess what Vernon dropped as many. He was wide open when he dropped his. Yes it was a poor throw. But he gets paid to catch any throw good or bad.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Make all the excuses you want for the guy but he's been thoroughly disappointing this year and has failed most of the time when he is given opportunities to make plays. Not really doing a great job earning the QBs trust, just saying. :dunno:

what's worse, is he did the same thing in college.
a gm that drafts a player high without natural hands is a gm high on hubris and low on wisdom.
This guy needs to go.
Originally posted by crabman82:
the new whipping boy, hey someone has to be it

Thank you. I couldn't figure out why everyone just kept pouring it on this guy.
For a supposed pass catcher, he aint one! How balls he drop last night?
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Here is a concept the zone struggles with it's called develop players. Guy never expects the ball. Why? Kap never throws it to him. Guess what Vernon dropped as many. He was wide open when he dropped his. Yes it was a poor throw. But he gets paid to catch any throw good or bad.

We know what Vernon has to offer. He gets a pass. "Guy never expects the ball" is not an excuse. If he's running a route, he better be ready to catch. He doesnt get the ball because he continues to mess up every time its thrown his way. If he doesnt mess up maybe he will get the ball thrown his way.
Originally posted by xela510:
We know what Vernon has to offer. He gets a pass. "Guy never expects the ball" is not an excuse. If he's running a route, he better be ready to catch. He doesnt get the ball because he continues to mess up every time its thrown his way. If he doesnt mess up maybe he will get the ball thrown his way.

Couldn't agree more. Dude looks like a deer in headlights any time he's not blocking (including when a ball is thrown his way). I'm sure one he eventually starts clicking with Kap and making more out of his opportunities, he'll get more looks but when the guy has mini mental mishaps and flubs almost every time he's targeted, he's not really making a case for himself being a reliable or trustworthy target. Vance needs to step his game up big time.
I think Celek is the better 2nd TE and should start getting those snaps till Vance can prove he's ready .
this guy blows
i'm not ready to give up on him but he f**king sucks dick in the passing game right now. the slip he had last night isn't something that should happen on this level. there was no weather affecting footing (i saw no other player on either team have that problem). i will say he had some nice blocks last night so there's that but you don't waste a 2nd round pick on a blocking TE.

looks like a horrible pick right now. we should've kept delaine :(
He's very raw. Hopefully he improves next year with more experience.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Its called being a pro! Teams don't have time for players to figure it out during the season. Pros make the most of their opportunities. The skill at this level is ridiculous and you have to get it together if you want the rock.

This of course is ridiculous. Rookies will make mistakes, period. Nobody was a stronger advocate of allowing rookies to go through their growing pains than Bill Walsh was. I don't care who it is, if you give a guy 1-2 targets a game, he's not going to do very well, its hard to gain confidence and every mistake you make is magnified 1000 times. McDonald has shown the ability to get open consistently, he's done well as a blocker, its a matter of him being included in the gameplan and having consistent passes thrown his way. Ertz of the Eagles looked like crap early on this season but you know what, they kept throwing the ball his way, kept getting him targets and he has improved as a result.

Hard to criticize McDonald for being a rookie that gets little actual opportunity to make plays.

In this game unproven guys get CUT everyday for not making plays. You have to earn the opportunity to get balls thrown you way and he has not earned it. He is the 2nd /3rd TE on this team and he has not made the most of his opportunities. if he had caught the ball against Carolina and then just ONE of the two last night we wouldn't be having this conversation. He will get more targets next year and if he screws those up he'll get cut or traded after the season. Book it.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Keep giving him shots.dude trucks guys when he gets tbe ball.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
All jumping the gun on this dude

He will be good