There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

Meat head
I was really disappointed with him...
I really wanted this guy in the draft - he was the only one I got right.

He should hire Jerry to learn how to catch cause right now he SUCKS!

Very good blocking though.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I really wanted this guy in the draft - he was the only one I got right.

He should hire Jerry to learn how to catch cause right now he SUCKS!

Very good blocking though.

He has been good as a blocker. We just have to hope he greatly improves his route running and pass catching.
Originally posted by sspiker:
What's most ironic is how people are missing Delanie Walker, who had the same exact problems with drops (and has carried those problems over to Tennessee). McDonald is well on his way to be doing all the things we asked Walker to do: blocking, decoys, versatility, and more blocking. He's still young, and another off-season with a JUGS machine, when he's not spending over half his time learning the playbook and all the roles he's asked to assume, might help. It's way too early to give up on his career, though I do think he should not be a receiving factor in the playoffs.

That's all it is...focusing yor concentration to an area (and area he has HARDLY been used in). Get him into the mix early...practice it. All those reps go to VD, clearly.
Originally posted by KegBert:
He has been good as a blocker. We just have to hope he greatly improves his route running and pass catching.

Route running had been very good. I esp. like (rare) when we use him in the middle of the field...he has a nice feel for dropping down in the soft zones and that's not easy to teach.
Why is he still looking like he don't know where to lineup....
When we drafted him, I thought we were getting a poor man's Aaron Hernandez. Oh well, gotta wait til next year.
shoulda been keenan allen...
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
What's worse.....our non use of McDonald in the passing game or Coughlin benching David Wilson for a few fumbles?

And there you have it. You can't have someone not get more than 2 looks during games and few reps at catching passes in practice to suddenly be all-world clutch in a big game. I'm telling you guys the offensive coaching staff needs an overhaul. The offensive talent is there - it's not being developed. Where has Kendall Hunter been all season?

Its called being a pro! Teams don't have time for players to figure it out during the season. Pros make the most of their opportunities. The skill at this level is ridiculous and you have to get it together if you want the rock.
We can make excuses for him all day or search for positives. Bottom line, he has not came through when he had opportunities. If he did, he would get more. He has been a major disappointment.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
What's worse.....our non use of McDonald in the passing game or Coughlin benching David Wilson for a few fumbles?

And there you have it. You can't have someone not get more than 2 looks during games and few reps at catching passes in practice to suddenly be all-world clutch in a big game. I'm telling you guys the offensive coaching staff needs an overhaul. The offensive talent is there - it's not being developed. Where has Kendall Hunter been all season?

Its called being a pro! Teams don't have time for players to figure it out during the season. Pros make the most of their opportunities. The skill at this level is ridiculous and you have to get it together if you want the rock.

This. And we aren't asking him to be super clutch or an all pro. Just not trip over yourself in a big game when you're wide open. Not drop a crossing route. And god forbid, making a big catch against Carolina. Oh, thats right, someone touched him so he couldn't make that catch.
Originally posted by sspiker:
What's most ironic is how people are missing Delanie Walker, who had the same exact problems with drops (and has carried those problems over to Tennessee). McDonald is well on his way to be doing all the things we asked Walker to do: blocking, decoys, versatility, and more blocking. He's still young, and another off-season with a JUGS machine, when he's not spending over half his time learning the playbook and all the roles he's asked to assume, might help. It's way too early to give up on his career, though I do think he should not be a receiving factor in the playoffs.
I don't remember Delanie falling down a lot though. That is most disconcerting.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Its called being a pro! Teams don't have time for players to figure it out during the season. Pros make the most of their opportunities. The skill at this level is ridiculous and you have to get it together if you want the rock.

This of course is ridiculous. Rookies will make mistakes, period. Nobody was a stronger advocate of allowing rookies to go through their growing pains than Bill Walsh was. I don't care who it is, if you give a guy 1-2 targets a game, he's not going to do very well, its hard to gain confidence and every mistake you make is magnified 1000 times. McDonald has shown the ability to get open consistently, he's done well as a blocker, its a matter of him being included in the gameplan and having consistent passes thrown his way. Ertz of the Eagles looked like crap early on this season but you know what, they kept throwing the ball his way, kept getting him targets and he has improved as a result.


Hard to criticize McDonald for being a rookie that gets little actual opportunity to make plays.
This guy is pissing me off. That out route pass by Kap was beautiful and he fell flat on his face.