There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

Originally posted by bzborow1:
Ouch. Vance had a night to forget. To be honest it's a little disheartening the guy has done so little for the team up to this point. If there is a silver lining it is that Davis didn't walk into the NFL the player he is now either. Far from it.

TBH, the rookies on both sides were struggling. Reid looked vulnerable for the first time in awhile.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
Vance McDonald will never be the starting #1 TE for the 49ers. He is a blocking TE at best, and if Vernon ever leaves/retires we will need someone else to replace him.

Hey Mr Psychic, can you give me the winning lottery numbers while you're at it as well, mmmkay? Thanks.
I hate mcdonald
This asshat needs to wake the f**k up. You're on a championship football team! Play like it!
[ Edited by Eli_23 on Dec 24, 2013 at 7:47 AM ]
What's worse.....our non use of McDonald in the passing game or Coughlin benching David Wilson for a few fumbles?
Guys let's go easy on Vance. Sure he has dropped (or fell down) on some big plays this year. The bomb that could have won the Carolina game and the big play last night but how many times has this guy been targeted? And for a rookie, he's filling his blocking assignments in exceptionally well. This is a case of 3 things IMO. Him being an rookie, a underutilized player and most of all IMO, a player not being utilized to his talents. He's a very very big TE the type that should be used in the RZ, to box players out and get the jump ball, instead he's sent deep a lot and he's just not that type of player yet. With his size and speed (which is pretty good just not compared to Vernons but who's is?) I think he's going to be somebody that really steps up next year.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
What's worse.....our non use of McDonald in the passing game or Coughlin benching David Wilson for a few fumbles?

And there you have it. You can't have someone not get more than 2 looks during games and few reps at catching passes in practice to suddenly be all-world clutch in a big game. I'm telling you guys the offensive coaching staff needs an overhaul. The offensive talent is there - it's not being developed. Where has Kendall Hunter been all season?
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

And there you have it. You can't have someone not get more than 2 looks during games and few reps at catching passes in practice to suddenly be all-world clutch in a big game. I'm telling you guys the offensive coaching staff needs an overhaul. The offensive talent is there - it's not being developed. Where has Kendall Hunter been all season?

I wish we would do what Harbs did at Stanford. Make Greg Roman the run game coordinator, hire someone else to handle the passing game and have that guy call the plays. Make sure whoever that guy is he knows how to mix in personnel & utilize them to their strengths, I love Frank Gore as much as any 49er player in history but we need to see more of Hunter and LMJ in both the running and passing game and we should have been utilizing Vance's size more.
He sucks
I am frustrated at his pass catching as well, but that can be fixed. He's improved tremendously in his blocking. Boldin doesn't score without McDonald's block on the outside (and Vernon takin out 2 defenders lol).
If he doesn't slip, he catches that long ball from Kaepernick and turns up field. He can catch, he just doesn't get targeted too often and the coaches mostly use him as a blocker. Maybe we should've drafted Tyler Eifert.
It's like his hands and legs don't work. Like don't work at all. He's always falling down on stupid s**t and the ball clanks off his stupid hands. Does he only have 1 finger or something? I know I'm being hard on him, but geez kid, just catch a football once in a while.
What's most ironic is how people are missing Delanie Walker, who had the same exact problems with drops (and has carried those problems over to Tennessee). McDonald is well on his way to be doing all the things we asked Walker to do: blocking, decoys, versatility, and more blocking. He's still young, and another off-season with a JUGS machine, when he's not spending over half his time learning the playbook and all the roles he's asked to assume, might help. It's way too early to give up on his career, though I do think he should not be a receiving factor in the playoffs.
I still think he will be good, but he needs to get his act together.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I lines his the staff obviously was trying to work him in but I'm not happy with what he did with his opportunity. Falling like that when you're wide open is inexcusable even if you're a rookie. He seems to have no confidence as a receiver and we'd prob be better off not throwing to him in the playoffs.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home