There are 271 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
this dude fkn sucks.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Worst thing possible for a young player. You know you get one chance and if it doesn't happen for whatever reason, you're getting the hook. Like I said before, not the way to develop young players. They'll make mistakes, its inevitable, you let them play through it. As long as McDonald gets 1-2 targets a game, its hard for him to have any confidence or rhythm to his game.

exactly

call 4 plays where he's a real option at least.

he can't be reversed. he came in as a pass catcher and a so so blocker

now he's an excellent blocker who can't catch a pass

does he work with the line coach or the te coach?

He was targeted again a few plays later but the throw was turrible.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
this dude fkn sucks.

Dude's name is Vance. /thread
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
He was targeted again a few plays later but the throw was turrible.

Yes, the defender saw it coming all the way and knocked it down. That was pretty much it for him. Nobody can develop any consistency getting 2 targets a game.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
consistency or not, that ball hits your hands, you catch it. This dude has more drops than catches. That s**t tonight where he stumbled is inexcusable. Celeck would've made that grab.
consistency or not, that ball hits your hands, you catch it. This dude has more drops than catches. That s**t tonight where he stumbled is inexcusable. Celeck would've made that grab.

Yes because nobody else has stumbled in the history of football before? It happens, let it go. He had an awesome block on Boldin's touchdown and had a couple of other very good blocks. He's shown the ability to get open, he just needs more opportunities to be successful and develop confidence. Over time, he's going to be a very good player.

celek wouldn't have gotten open. which is the point. vance has shown all year he can beat lb's and he can go deep he just needs to do it more than 3 times a game.

you play 30 snaps and go out on routes on 3 of them and then get targeted on 1 maybe.. lol

what kind of rhythm will you be in?

he's in GREAT blocking rhythm

cause he does it almost every snap
Vance doesn't get many opportunities, but he could also do a better job of taking advantage of the ones that come his way. A lot of his missed opportunities have come on downfield throws on the move. I'd like to see us give him a chance to run a short-intermediate route, sit in a zone, and catch a pass while stationary like the 1st catch of his career against GB that went ~20 yards. Might get his confidence up to get a few easy receptions.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Yes because nobody else has stumbled in the history of football before? It happens, let it go. He had an awesome block on Boldin's touchdown and had a couple of other very good blocks. He's shown the ability to get open, he just needs more opportunities to be successful and develop confidence. Over time, he's going to be a very good player.

so what's Vernon's excuse?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Vance doesn't get many opportunities, but he could also do a better job of taking advantage of the ones that come his way. A lot of his missed opportunities have come on downfield throws on the move. I'd like to see us give him a chance to run a short-intermediate route, sit in a zone, and catch a pass while stationary like the 1st catch of his career against GB that went ~20 yards. Might get his confidence up to get a few easy receptions.

we should use him how the Panthers use Greg Olson.... if teams are going to concentrate on Vernon, having McDonald on the other side for a quick screen would be nice. Its not a deep pass, which is usually his first and only pass a game it seems, but a more catchable one that I hope would build his confidence as the game goes on.

Originally posted by Afrikan:

we should use him how the Panthers use Greg Olson.... if teams are going to concentrate on Vernon, having McDonald on the other side for a quick screen would be nice. Its not a deep pass, which is usually his first and only pass a game it seems, but a more catchable one that I hope would build his confidence as the game goes on.

Wasnt Gore terrible his first 2 seasons at receiving as well? Vance just needs to get confident again as he was a very good receiver out of Rice.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Dec 24, 2013 at 5:19 AM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Wasnt Gore terrible his first 2 seasons at receiving as well? Vance just needs to get confident again as he was a very good receiver out of Rice.

and so did Vernon when he first got here...but you were able to see his potential because even though he was dropping passes with those big Mickey Mouse mittens he used to wear... he was still given many opportunities per game and made big plays here and there.

McDonald isn't having that luxury. He is getting 1-2 passes a game.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

and so did Vernon when he first got here...but you were able to see his potential because even though he was dropping passes with those big Mickey Mouse mittens he used to wear... he was still given many opportunities per game and made big plays here and there.

McDonald isn't having that luxury. He is getting 1-2 passes a game.

Agreed, though I think that having him inactive last week against Tampa hurt his psyche as well. Hope he fights through it.
Does anyone think we need to open up the passing game more or at least make attempts to spread the ball around more? With only 25 to 30 passes a game and Boldin and Davis getting about 16 targets between them + throwing Crabtree into the mix? It just isn't enough.

I think Vance can be a decent receiver, but people need to be serious. Even if Vance caught "took advantage" of his opportunities, what would he have, like 9-12 catches this year? I don't think Vance finishing with 20 catches (in a 16 game season) is unrealistic, but he has to be involved in the passing offense enough to do it. We've gone through a full season and we still don't really know what we have in him as a receiver.
Ouch. Vance had a night to forget. To be honest it's a little disheartening the guy has done so little for the team up to this point. If there is a silver lining it is that Davis didn't walk into the NFL the player he is now either. Far from it.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Dec 24, 2013 at 6:17 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone