LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by swayze:
lol @ Harbaugh comparing him to Dalton in Road House according to Mayock & Nessler

Strong username to content correlation.

I've said since day one I thought McDonald would come in day one and contribute. I thought he would make a great security blanket. A few things that have hurt him or stopped him from contributing more so far: 1. We haven't used 2 TE sets enough 2. Celek has gotten in there instead of McDonald at times 3. Drops 4. Kap not looking his way. Some times when guys drop balls the QB stops trusting them and looking their way. Not sure that's the case but could be. Just in general I don't think Kap trust anyone besides Boldin and VD. Anyways, McDonald just has to hit the jugs machine before and after practice with Davis. Now that we pulled our head out of our butts we should start to see more 2 TE sets. Kap will slowly get to trust other guys like McDonald and possibly Baldwin.
Wow. This thread has been pretty quiet for a month. He has had a pretty quiet but solid season. About once a game I see him having a key block in the run game. I wish Kaep would target him a few more times a game though. Maybe the coaches are waiting to unleash him during the playoffs. In the mean time it seems they are starting him off with milk instead of going straight to the meat. Teaching him to first master blocking, then will let him loose as a pass catcher. Remember that long bomb to him that Kaep overthrew in the titans game? I see a lot of big plays and blocks from this guy in the future.
Originally posted by QBguru:
Wow. This thread has been pretty quiet for a month. He has had a pretty quiet but solid season. About once a game I see him having a key block in the run game. I wish Kaep would target him a few more times a game though. Maybe the coaches are waiting to unleash him during the playoffs. In the mean time it seems they are starting him off with milk instead of going straight to the meat. Teaching him to first master blocking, then will let him loose as a pass catcher. Remember that long bomb to him that Kaep overthrew in the titans game? I see a lot of big plays and blocks from this guy in the future.

he's an excellent blocker. they don't even bring in anyone else. him and vernon are true dual threats in today's nfl.

and he showed he can make himself available on scramble plays. sky is the limit especially even when manningham comes back you have 3 passing options you have to respect which gets him 1 on 1 matchups or even better zone matchups where he can sit down and catch passes.

and then when crabtree comes back... nobody will be even thinking about covering him which will be a very fatal mistake
not being utilized enough in the passing game dude was basically a receiver in college..but his blocking has been very solid and i see a bright future for him
Originally posted by swayze:
lol @ Harbaugh comparing him to Dalton in Road House according to Mayock & Nessler

Originally posted by jonesadrian:

he's an excellent blocker. they don't even bring in anyone else. him and vernon are true dual threats in today's nfl.

and he showed he can make himself available on scramble plays. sky is the limit especially even when manningham comes back you have 3 passing options you have to respect which gets him 1 on 1 matchups or even better zone matchups where he can sit down and catch passes.

and then when crabtree comes back... nobody will be even thinking about covering him which will be a very fatal mistake

Exactly. That is why I think they will "unleash" him in the playoffs where the opposing team won't even know what hit em.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

Exactly. That is why I think they will "unleash" him in the playoffs where the opposing team won't even know what hit em.

Yes, and for anyone complaining, football is not a sprint, but a marathon. I'm all for a progressive development if it ensures a higher probability for post-season success.

[ Edited by Imfasterthanur on Oct 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Eastcoastniner:
not being utilized enough in the passing game dude was basically a receiver in college..but his blocking has been very solid and i see a bright future for him

Totally agree. It was his blocking that was the big question mark entering the season and he's shown that he is more than capable of blocking and I would imagine VD has had a lot to do with that. Now that he's progressing in that area lets get this big mofo involved in the passing game. Our two TE set should be blowing people up by now. LETS GO NINERS!!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
this guy is just another guy
I'm going to get flamed, but this team needs to go to him more often. He has the size and speed to be a mis match. Too bad this team doesn't know how to exploit mis matches on passing offense.
I know the guy will get blamed a lot but if you look at the play the defender ripped his arm down hard when the ball came. It's tough to catch when you have your arm pulled down full strength by a linebacker. On the plus side I though he displayed pretty good speed to get that deep and actually ran a pretty good route.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I know the guy will get blamed a lot but if you look at the play the defender ripped his arm down hard when the ball came. It's tough to catch when you have your arm pulled down full strength by a linebacker. On the plus side I though he displayed pretty good speed to get that deep and actually ran a pretty good route.

hmmm... expected you to say that Kaep threw it too hard at him..or not perfect enough.

about McDonald though...dude is rusty...yes, he should've just tried to catch the ball first and formost...instead of catching it on the run and trying to make a play. The LB was too close to try to catch it the way McDonald did.

he should've turned his body and tried to catch it with his body.

anyway that is just nit picking.. he needs to get more passes thrown to him dammit.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

hmmm... expected you to say that Kaep threw it too hard at him..or not perfect enough.

about McDonald though...dude is rusty...yes, he should've just tried to catch the ball first and formost...instead of catching it on the run and trying to make a play. The LB was too close to try to catch it the way McDonald did.

he should've turned his body and tried to catch it with his body.

anyway that is just nit picking.. he needs to get more passes thrown to him dammit.

I think he can be a threat if we throw it to him more.
Share 49ersWebzone