LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Guys, we hust found our red zone target.
Red Zone. Red Zone. Red Zone.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
McDonald is bigger and faster than Ertz, Eifert and Kelce.

The only knock on him are his hands.

I think we are picking players who FIT our team. McDonald can be used on WR screens and can be an effective blocker with coaching. He is a naturally huge person, yet Rice used him as an "H-back". An interesting pick who we can use in many different ways.
At the Scouting Combine, Vance McDonald measured in at 6'4'', 267 lbs. He ran a 4.60 40-yard dash and bench-pressed 225 lbs 31 times.

At his pro day, he started slowly with a couple of drops but came on strong and caught everything after. He showed good movement and was explosive through the hips. He helped himself with a strong showing in the blocking drills.

A total of 40 representatives from 30 NFL teams were on hand during his pro day at Rice.

Got it from the Bleacher Report.
Originally posted by midrdan:
We aren't drafting 13 players, so giving up one of our sixth rounders to move up is not a terrible move.

Bottom line - I trust Harbaugh to evaluate TE talent. I trust him more with that position than with any other, except maybe QB. This is his offense and he knows the players that fit this offense and if he really wanted Ertz or Kelce they would have gotten that TE. He loves this guy because he fits Harbaugh's offensive system better than the others.

I don't disagree but I don't think the brain trust is infallible and I'm just not a fan of him. He has lots of measurable, and hope he proves me wrong. Maybe it was just how he was used. But he runs stiff and I didn't see him getting open in senior bowl. I watched every snap and he looked easy to cover by better talent than he saw at rice. Long story short if he can be coached up I'll eat pie but I see celek as our second TE this year.
[ Edited by Need4Speed on Apr 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM ]
hahahah suck it to all you who were proclaiming we would take a WR early
Thanks guys, I feel comfortable with this one.
Needed a TE. Words of Advice for McDonald: Practice catching the ball. And learn everything you can from Vernon.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
wtf keenan allen is available

Allen wouldn't have gotten much of an opportunity to contribute this year. A second tight end on the other hand could easily snag 40 passes in 2013. I like the pick.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
hahahah suck it to all you who were proclaiming we would take a WR early

3rd round is still early.

Originally posted by WhySoSerious:
Lovin the pick. We needed a blocking TE and we got him.

What? Who? Cause I know you don't mean McDonald. He's not a good blocker at all yet.
Big strong inline blocker who can catch 2-4 passes/game. VD is now the move guy/h back.

Love it
D Walker's replacement, played both slot WR and TE during college, and also played in the backfield taking reverses. Is raw at blocking though. Not sure if he is as strong and fast as Delanie Walker is....
LOVE IT!!! I posted this a while back about Vance on a TE thread....

Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:

I really think our #2 TE needs to be a solid blocker first, pass catcher 2nd. Our coaches love multi dimension players who can line up anywhere and keep the defenses guessing. Ertz, Eifert, Reed and Escobar are excellent receivers of balls, but lack the size and strength to put their hand in the dirt and take on a 280 DE. Can they be coached up to block and add size after a couple years? Sure they could, over time, but that would have been a better idea LAST year with a #3 TE. Since Celek has hands of stone, we really need a solid blocking TE who can also catch, one we can plug in THIS season. I think 2 players fit that mold better than the rest, Kelce and Vance McDonald.

Vance McDonald, TE, Rice Height: 6-4. Weight: 267. Arm: 34 1/2. Hand: 10.18. 40 Time: 4.69. Projected Round (2013): 3-4

He mostly played in the slot at Rice, but he has strength ( 31 reps was tops for TE at the combine - and more than most Olinemen ) and the size ( 267 ) to be an effective inline blocker. He also was the top performer in the Broad Jump, 3 cone and 60 yard shuttle....so he's not just a big meathead, he's athletic too. I think his size, strength and athleticism will allow him to adapt to inline blocking pretty quick.

Here's NFL.com's breakdown =

================================

Analysis

Strengths Used all over the formation but mainly as a slot receiver. Smooth athlete, comfortable in space for someone his size. Engages with good hand placement when blocking, uses body to shield off running lane. Very long arms, flashes using them to his advantage when run blocking. Sticks to the latch even if jolted on first contact. Flashes driving smaller defenders to the ground. Fluid mover after the catch, natural with the ball in his hands, reads upfield blocks and cuts off of them. Plenty of receiver screens, shows patience and strength to finish off runs. Snap-to-whistle player, known to make multiple blocks on the same play. Comfortable with bucket catches. Quickly turns upfield and makes the most of each play. Can make contested catches. Hands catcher away from his body.

Weaknesses Lacks strength on first contact. Majority of blocking took place in space, no inline, which could show in NFL. At least one drop or bobble per game, occurred even more often at the Senior Bowl. Most occur when he has to adjust or move off his stationary spot. Other times when the ball gets there quickly, unexpected targets. Would like to see him high point more frequently.

NFL Comparison Todd Heap

Bottom Line Despite being built like an inline tight end, the majority of McDonald's experience is in the slot. This certainly helps his comfort blocking on the edge and as a receiver who picks up yards after the catch. In fact, McDonald is still learning how to use his frame effectively. Teams could view the Rice product as an inline prospect or as a Joker mismatch, but either way McDonald should be selected on the second day.

================================

I believe his versatility and size make him a perfect fit as our #2 TE. He already knows how to run routes and work in space, he also has big hands and long arms ( big assets in the Red Zone ) if he can adapt to inline blocking, he would be a great weapon for our team.
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by midrdan:
We aren't drafting 13 players, so giving up one of our sixth rounders to move up is not a terrible move.

Bottom line - I trust Harbaugh to evaluate TE talent. I trust him more with that position than with any other, except maybe QB. This is his offense and he knows the players that fit this offense and if he really wanted Ertz or Kelce they would have gotten that TE. He loves this guy because he fits Harbaugh's offensive system better than the others.

I don't disagree but I don't think the brain trust is infallible and I'm just not a fan of him. He has lots of measurable, and hope he proves me wrong. Maybe it was just how he was used. But he runs stiff and I didn't see him getting open in senior bowl. I watched every snap and he looked easy to cover by better talent than he saw at rice. Long story short if he can be coached up I'll eat pie but I see celek as our second TE this year.

His is NOT a backup TE for Vernon Davis. If that is what you are thinking, then I would agree with you.
He will be used almost like an H-back, catching lots of short passes and WR screens. He lowers his shoulder and slams through DB's. He will have to be accounted for not as a backup, but as an H-back, with natural size and athleticism.

Man, we have a crap load of interesting weapons on this team.
Share 49ersWebzone