LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by gored49:
You guys can all disagree but the sad thing is that Vance is still the best tight end on this roster right now. Celek drops just as many as Vance if not more, kittles is a rookie and hasn't proved anything and Paulson is primarily a blocker.
Celek completes 1st downs, Vance dropps them.

I am not defending Vance but I am shocked about everyone's blinders about how many terrible drops celek had. I'll save some time and just say look at these stats. Celek is like #4 on drops:
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/
Originally posted by jcs:
You guys can all disagree but the sad thing is that Vance is still the best tight end on this roster right now. Celek drops just as many as Vance if not more, kittles is a rookie and hasn't proved anything and Paulson is primarily a blocker.
Celek completes 1st downs, Vance dropps them.

I am not defending Vance but I am shocked about everyone's blinders about how many terrible drops celek had. I'll save some time and just say look at these stats. Celek is like #4 on drops:
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

They both suck
Be nice to have TE that you're QB could depend on to catch the ball and get a few yards after the catch. Niners haven't had that for some time; well I guess Vernon when he was on. A limited route runner but a burner..never forget that route to win the game at the Stick with a few seconds to go and the tears..I digress...

GO Niners..!
It'll be nice to have a TE that can stay on the field. Vance McDonald has his very own spot reserved in the trainers room. Dude can't stay healthy.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nobody is going to want to take on McDonald's contract. Baalke really screwed us extending him.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Be nice to have TE that you're QB could depend on to catch the ball and get a few yards after the catch. Niners haven't had that for some time; well I guess Vernon when he was on. A limited route runner but a burner..never forget that route to win the game at the Stick with a few seconds to go and the tears..I digress...

GO Niners..!

Like Kyle said himself, shopping ANY player of value out there to see if you can improve your team elsewhere (esp. in a deep TE class) is standard esp. given our situation. They had several interested parties but the value wasn't enough to get rid of. He'll compete and see where the chips fall.
Either way... I think this lights a fire under him if he wants to continue to make the money he's making(which is nothing crazy under new CBA/increased salaries)
Honestly both Vance and Celek aren't anything special. Baalke screwed the 49ers when he did the McDonald deal. He has $7.7M GTD right now if cut, we lose cap room, but if we trade him, we still lose cap room, so thanks Baalke, .

Celek wise, he has $1M GTD this season as of April 1st. They don't save anything, and take on an extra $300K in dead money than his cap number is.

But there are June 1 cuts, Vance would save $665K, Celek $950K, but would you rather eat the money now, or in 2018 when we could be going after Cousins?
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Honestly both Vance and Celek aren't anything special. Baalke screwed the 49ers when he did the McDonald deal. He has $7.7M GTD right now if cut, we lose cap room, but if we trade him, we still lose cap room, so thanks Baalke, .

Celek wise, he has $1M GTD this season as of April 1st. They don't save anything, and take on an extra $300K in dead money than his cap number is.

But there are June 1 cuts, Vance would save $665K, Celek $950K, but would you rather eat the money now, or in 2018 when we could be going after Cousins?

You don't put a player on the trading block who you consider in the long term plans.

I wouldn't be surprised if both were cut honestly.
Je'Ronn Hamm better

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Kittle can easily replace McDonald.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Kittle can easily replace McDonald.

He's staying unless he's part of a package trade. He only has a 2.1 mill cap hit this year, 3.7 mill next year. Then after 2018 we can cut him since his salary goes up to 4.2 and save 1.4 mill.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Vance makes the team but will be asked to be restructured or cut. He doesn't do anything exceptionally well that demands his contribution at that salary. The roster spot will become more important than the $ I think.

Yeah, they'll ask to restructure. Baalke really screwed us on this one before he left Dodge.

True. s**tty players don't get put on the trade block. Shabby doesn't really use the TE position much, so they wanted to trade for a position that was a higher priority.
Share 49ersWebzone