LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, missing 2.5 games hurt but he's still on pace to get between 1,000 (hurt)-1,200 (not hurt). Given almost all of those yards are predictably, right up the gut and behind Beadles and Kilgore, who aren't exactly the strongest at the POA, that's impressive. 4.5, 5.0 & 4.6 the last three games. He's getting healthy. He only gets 17 carries a game too.

Vance missed a game too...people really need to look into production properly based on actual utilization. Torrey is another prime example of underutilizion here.

Utilization is the key word 16 yards per catch is stupid for a TE...god I can't wait until we get a qb that can actually throw the ball accurately, getting this guy passes in stride is a nightmare for defenses.

That will be Kelly's next biggest move. No question. I hope that FQB is out there and I hope we're in position to get him.
It's because he wasnt the starter his 1st 2 1/2 yrs because VD was the starting TE Jesus...he got 1 target a game ( as the backup) and his job was to stay in and block dude. So VD was "developing" yet Vance wasn't? That's a pretty hypocritical statement IMO.

Facts are once he became the starter over his first 16 games (which is a full season FYI) he's put up top 10 TE numbers with tomsula calling plays and Blaine and kap throwing the ball....OH and a bunch of s**t around him at WR vs VD having moss, crabs, and Q.

If you think the teams VD played on where comparable to what Vance has played on (when being the starting TE) then you're clearly not being objective.

Name of the game is to sign good promising football players that are getting better which is what this signing was.

Good f**king move SF (for once)

Again I'm not talking about his development period. Look past that because not 1 time have I criticized him for it. I'm talking about that 650 yards. It's nothing special. He's playing without any real receivers and that's all he can do. When he gets the ball he's fine but like Vernon he's unfluid as Hell.

Defensively you have a point with Vernon offensively meh. 10 f'n years with 1 above average offense. That's our track record and it's not just Vernon I could point to 100 tight ends just like that. Delanie says hi too. I know you can do it in reverse as but I think what see out of Vance right now is who he is and that's an average tight end. I'm not against the extension but I am going to call it out.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Dec 10, 2016 at 6:57 AM ]
It's obviously a bit steep but we need to realize all salaries are inflated with raising salary cap. We have an absurd amount of cap space and we need to make sure we're keeping the few productive pieces we have here. Really excited to see what he does with a real QB(hopefully we land one).
The downer to me is we just committed a good 4 years to an average tight end. KC has Kelce, Washington has Jordan Reed we got the 4th best tight end of his draft class. You can do a lot better. Not going to happen now because we're all in with McAverage.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
The downer to me is we just committed a good 4 years to an average tight end. KC has Kelce, Washington has Jordan Reed we got the 4th best tight end of his draft class. You can do a lot better. Not going to happen now because we're all in with McAverage.

I think if he can keep showing that he can catch the ball, we should be alright with him. He's already a good blocker.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 10, 2016 at 7:29 AM ]

Average is a compliment. He hasn't earned this payday. But thats how we roll. Performance takes a back seat to whatever metrics they use to sign guys. See tank.
In a year with very few offensive highlights, Vance seems to hold the majority of them. Put some more weapons around him and a QB that is consistent and I think he will thrive. He is what he is but he's better than anything else we have for big plays. I like that they re-signed him.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Yes! I was afraid they'd let him walk and be a star on another team. Great move, arguably our best offensive weapon.
Again I'm not talking about his development period. Look past that because not 1 time have I criticized him for it. I'm talking about that 650 yards. It's nothing special. He's playing without any real receivers and that's all he can do. When he gets the ball he's fine but like Vernon he's unfluid as Hell.

Defensively you have a point with Vernon offensively meh. 10 f'n years with 1 above average offense. That's our track record and it's not just Vernon I could point to 100 tight ends just like that. Delanie says hi too. I know you can do it in reverse as but I think what see out of Vance right now is who he is and that's an average tight end. I'm not against the extension but I am going to call it out.

I wanted to resign walker so there's nothing to debate there and develop wise it took him like what 7 yrs and opportunity lol...and 650 yards and 7 TDs is top 10 stats for a TE sorry that bums you out but it's the truth.

There's nothing to call out though....

I wanted to resign walker so there's nothing to debate there and develop wise it took him like what 7 yrs and opportunity lol...and 650 yards and 7 TDs is top 10 stats for a TE sorry that bums you out but it's the truth.

There's nothing to call out though....

Top ten and doing it with the worst qbs in the league.

Accepting mediocrity.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Average is a compliment. He hasn't earned this payday. But thats how we roll. Performance takes a back seat to whatever metrics they use to sign guys. See tank.

653 yards 7 TDs (over his first 16 games as a full time starter) with piles of 💩 Throwing him the ball is not avg those are actually top 10 numbers...given the targets he's been given, time to get him more involved and get a real qb.

Allen clay and pitta all have comparable deals and he's played better then all of them

Understand but you're only looking at one dimension. Vance is paramount to our running game as well...far more than the TEs you noted in a pass happy and TE-friendly system. Kelly alluded to this as well. He's an every down TE with big play ability and is equally successful in run blocking as he is in pass catching (now). Like Vernon before him. This is an upside signing and a guy Kelly wants to utilize more and more. Obviously he's not as naturally gifted as some pass catching TE's in the NFL but neither was Vernon...or Delanie. But they still found success with INCREASED utilization.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Accepting mediocrity.

It's not mediocrity if you look at his stats I'm blown away with how people don't see that.

This is one of the first smart moves I've seen this FO do in a very long time
Originally posted by NCommand:

Understand but you're only looking at one dimension. Vance is paramount to our running game as well...far more than the TEs you noted in a pass happy and TE-friendly system. Kelly alluded to this as well. He's an every down TE with big play ability and is equally successful in run blocking as he is in pass catching (now). Like Vernon before him. This is an upside signing and a guy Kelly wants to utilize more and more. Obviously he's not as naturally gifted as some pass catching TE's in the NFL but neither was Vernon...or Delanie. But they still found success with INCREASED utilization.

You stop making sense!
Share 49ersWebzone