LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Baalke trying to sink the ship before he gets canned
Originally posted by MasterBlaster:
Ok, let's think about this rationally. Paying all that money for a TE, let's assume he will be the "be all, end all" TE of the future. Does it solve signing and finding a franchise QB? How about the need to sign 3 top offensive linemen so our new franchise QB won't be running for his life? How about a playmaker at WR that can take the top off the offense so our star TE can find more space and our oft injured RB won't get hammered all the time? Does it get us a Plan B at RB just in case Hyde continues to be so fragile? Does it get us a Plan B at TE just in case our All World TE continues to be oft injured and misses 25%-30% of the games like he has so far? What happens if we fire the Head Coach and he doesn't fit into the new coach's scheme?

Let's not even get into the needs on defense. Those are fair questions to ask.

Who says we can't? You do know we can't sign other players until FA in the off season...and "all that money" it's $16 million guaranteed not $35m...you don't even no the structure of the deal man.

How does a great blocking TE with pass catching ability NOT fit into any offensive scheme? Gronk while better has missed wayyyy more games and is paid much more.

Get rid of bethea and his $7.7 million next yr and that pays for half of his guaranteed cash! s**t get rid of kap next yr pays for the wholec damn thing. They are gonna have almost $100 million in cap space and the objective is to sign gold promising young players which he is...sorry if you don't see it.

Your being ridiculous thinking that because we resigned a player that means we can look at other guys in the off season and draft...relax
Ok Vance, you're on the big bikkies now so more of this...

...and less of this...

...thanks bloke!
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I can come up with a lot more than 1. We've struggled with qb play for the past decade and Vernon still balled. The tight end is that big fat guy roaming in the middle he is an easier target.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. He's an average te signed to an average deal.

He didn't ball his 1st three years in the league he was also a top 10 pick in the draft.
Originally posted by mayo49:
A lot of money to someone who has a hard time catching the ball.

Only dropped 3 balls this yr...
Originally posted by Ninerfan84:
Does it? First off, you don't even know the structure of the deal so your claim of "overpaying" is misguided at best. Secondly, we've already established based on the market his deal even on face value is NOT "overpaying".

Regarding a QB, it depends on where we acquire them from. Drafting one won't cost us much (slotted salaries) and extending McDonald has no bearing on that at all. If we move on from Kap his 19 mill hit comes off the books and trading for a higher priced QB (i.e. Garappolo) isn't an issue.

Also, our OL is probably the strength of this team. We could use an upgrade at C, and LG/RT isn't perfect but C/G/RT are the cheapest positions to pay for on the OL.

Wow someone making sense in here
Hopefully this means I can delete my "Looks like Tarzan, balls like Jane" meme I made a few years back.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Seems like it was a lot more.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I'm not upset about signing him, I'm more upset that it appears that baalke is here to stay.

The real issue of this rage.
We've had a night to digest this, and it feels even worse today. Can something exist without being perceived...

Bruce Ellington and Quinton Patton are about to hit the jackpot.... Let that sink in.

Originally posted by Ninerfan84:
Does it? First off, you don't even know the structure of the deal so your claim of "overpaying" is misguided at best. Secondly, we've already established based on the market his deal even on face value is NOT "overpaying".

Regarding a QB, it depends on where we acquire them from. Drafting one won't cost us much (slotted salaries) and extending McDonald has no bearing on that at all. If we move on from Kap his 19 mill hit comes off the books and trading for a higher priced QB (i.e. Garappolo) isn't an issue.

Also, our OL is probably the strength of this team. We could use an upgrade at C, and LG/RT isn't perfect but C/G/RT are the cheapest positions to pay for on the OL.

Wow someone making sense in here

Refreshing versus the emotional overreactions.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Follower:
We've had a night to digest this, and it feels even worse today. Can something exist without being perceived...

Bruce Ellington and Quinton Patton are about to hit the jackpot.... Let that sink in.

I don't think you have to worry about extensions for Patton and Ellington. They're both horrible.

Nope

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8413/vance-mcdonald

49ers signed TE Vance McDonald to a five-year, $35 million extension with $16 million guaranteed.

The deal locks up McDonald through 2021. Turning 27 next June, McDonald has enjoyed a mini-breakout season in Chip Kelly's offense, parlaying 24 catches into 391 yards with four touchdowns and averaging 16.3 yards per reception. Long prone to dropped passes, McDonald has dropped only three balls this year and has always possessed adequate blocking ability. McDonald played a season-high 91 percent of the 49ers' snaps in Week 13.

Hopefully this leads to more targets and pushes SF to look at upgrading qb...wouldn't see the point in giving skilled players money and not getting someone to use them
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I'm not upset about signing him, I'm more upset that it appears that baalke is here to stay.

The real issue of this rage.

I don't get how this has anything to do with baalke staying? Pretty sure Paraag takes care of contracts not Trent

That's because he only gets a handful of opportunities so when he does drop one, it sticks in our head (coupled with his past of critical drops). Meanwhile, the entire receiving corp drops passes left and right and we don't bat an eye. Perception can be an odd thing at times.
Share 49ersWebzone