Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
McDonald has never really played TE, he was a slot reciever in college.

D. Walker was a reciever in college as well.

This will be interesting!

Thats a misnomer, he was used everywhere. Early on he played allot more in the slot but in his senior year he played more at TE than slot.

And he's 6'5" 267 with long arms and from what we hear, looks as if he has solid hands.

Dude's gonna be a stud.

I like Vance, but the kid needs to work on his hands. The knock on him coming outta college was he drops too many catch-able balls. and thats showing a bit in the pros. I am looking forward to watching this kid develop.

in fairness, shouldnt we get to his 1st preseason game before we say bad hands have followed him to the pros? he literally hasnt even played one of those meaningless games yet, let alone the real ones.

I said showing "a bit" and reports out of practices will prove that statement correct. One just doesn't go from dropping too many catchable balls to sure handed, when facing tougher conditions (tougher defense, harder thrown balls, scheme uncertainty) over night. It will take some time, as it did for Davis, but I have no doubts he will over come. I just hope we as fans are willing to allow him that time and not expecting Carter like mitts out of the box and then bashing the poor kid when he doesn't.

TC is the time of the year for over reactions. during the season if a given player drops 5 passes in a practice, you never hear about it. my point is we need to see it in games before we start cracking on the kid.

Again don't need to see anything, it's a known. Im not over reacting, if he had sticky hands he'd not be a Niner

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I like Vance, but the kid needs to work on his hands. The knock on him coming outta college was he drops too many catch-able balls. and thats showing a bit in the pros. I am looking forward to watching this kid develop.

LOL....wut? How about we get through a few games, even preseason games, before making any bold proclamations, yeah?

Bold proclamations? ROFL, to say an issue that a kid had displayed all through college is likely to be a bit of a problem continuing into the NFL where everything is harder, until he is able to refine that skill, is a bold proclamation? LOL you're effin kidding me riiight?

Are we not allowed even the slightest of criticisms about a player, especially a rookie, without our fellow fans over reacting to said criticisms?

Look guys, I like this kid. He was my choice for favorite draft pick right here on these forums shortly after the draft, but to think he's a perfect product coming outta college, and issue that he displayed all through college are going to magically disappear after some OTA's and a training camp is a bit naive don't yah think?

Vance will be our full-time TE and Vernon will be our versatility player. About his hands...remember when Vernon sucked at catching? Hands come with confidence but I have a feeling Vance will not disappoint.
Vance has potential. He played very well. Needs some practice which is not a lot of insight.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Vance has potential. He played very well. Needs some practice which is not a lot of insight.

Will have to miss the 2nd preseason game. Any word on the injury?
Eric Johnson 2.0
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

LOL
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
what's the injury?
Wish he would hear from this undisclosed injury already
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
separated labia is the official word.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

New #49ers WR Jon Baldwin issued No. 89, according to team website. Odd, it's the same number worn by TE Vance McDonald.
Originally posted by Jcool:

New #49ers WR Jon Baldwin issued No. 89, according to team website. Odd, it's the same number worn by TE Vance McDonald.

Strange unless Vance wants a new number, but he was annointed the next coming of Ditka

It'll change after the final cuts, one way or the other.
Originally posted by socalniner:

Strange unless Vance wants a new number, but he was annointed the next coming of Ditka

Really? You would think with a completely fresh start with an organization, you might want to try a new number on for size. Hopefully this doesn't mean bad things for VMac's health
Originally posted by mattster03:
Really? You would think with a completely fresh start with an organization, you might want to try a new number on for size. Hopefully this doesn't mean bad things for VMac's health

Has nothing to do with his health. It is just a number.
Share 49ersWebzone