There are 211 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jiks
Should be Mac and TD's.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
VMac will be a good. not worried about losing DLove as much now.
Still really excited about McDonald! We need some serious redzone help and everyone on offense including Kap needs to get better in this area. Still, a lot to be excited about on offense and aside from how the first drive ended, I thought they looked great. GO NINERS!
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Dude got scared on a crossing route, mad alligator arms.
In perspective, he looked far more surperior in his first ever NFL action than did any of our TEs in their first action...well, maybe not better than Eric Johnson but maybe...thats saying a lot.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 9, 2013 at 11:24 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Overall pleased by his play despite the two drops. He reached high up for two catches as well. I think his bread and butter route will be drive into the defender within the 5 yard range where contact is allowed, then create space by pushing off. Easy 7-8 yard reception.

This, he actually goes up and gets passes thrown over his head....about a season too late for Alex who could have used a guy like him. I can see McDonald being a real force in the redzone, he uses his height and width well to create separation.
ALL-NOOB First Team on the first page
after rewatching the game, vance played really freakin good for a rookie. i've got high expectations for him. not worried about losing delanie anymore
Guy is going to be a great safety blanket this year but needs to hit the juggs machine every day. However, he is a hands catcher and not a body catcher so that's a good thing. Did well blocking also. Should be able to be up to or close to replacing Walker by the end of the year. Should shatter Walker's 8 touchdowns in 7 years average as well. I watched like 3-4 of his games and did a review a few months back. Pretty much what I expected.

It's back on page 23 if anyone wants to read it but here was my summary:
Catches with his hands not his body, still needs work on catching but most of drops I seen where from bubble screens. Can do bubblescreens/hand offs in backfield but probably wont do many at this level. More of a Jason Witten sit down guy or a use your body to block out defenders than a vernon davis tight end who can burn you deep. Probably an underneath, 1st down, maybe red zone guy.. safety blanket... pretty good blocker and very willing... I think he could get tighter in the butt/thigh area, not sure if its' fat or muscle or both but losing some of it could make him faster.. can absorb blows and catch balls over the middle due to thick body... a lot of in's, out's from 5-10 yards and some curls but can turn upfield and will fight for extra yardage.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Guy is going to be a great safety blanket this year but needs to hit the juggs machine every day. However, he is a hands catcher and not a body catcher so that's a good thing. Did well blocking also. Should be able to be up to or close to replacing Walker by the end of the year. Should shatter Walker's 8 touchdowns in 7 years average as well. I watched like 3-4 of his games and did a review a few months back. Pretty much what I expected.

It's back on page 23 if anyone wants to read it but here was my summary:
Catches with his hands not his body, still needs work on catching but most of drops I seen where from bubble screens. Can do bubblescreens/hand offs in backfield but probably wont do many at this level. More of a Jason Witten sit down guy or a use your body to block out defenders than a vernon davis tight end who can burn you deep. Probably an underneath, 1st down, maybe red zone guy.. safety blanket... pretty good blocker and very willing... I think he could get tighter in the butt/thigh area, not sure if its' fat or muscle or both but losing some of it could make him faster.. can absorb blows and catch balls over the middle due to thick body... a lot of in's, out's from 5-10 yards and some curls but can turn upfield and will fight for extra yardage.

Love the fact that he's a hands catcher as you stated. I expect him to drop a few here and there as he gets accustomed to the NFL. Though down the line I envision Vance being a reliable guy who can move the chains on 3rd down

I'm gonna miss fumbles in important situations :(
Originally posted by YungAce:
ALL-NOOB First Team on the first page

I'm a NOOB, wow 37th page and you're now commenting on that? Here's a recap I started the thread by predicting the niners would draft him. I was the first person to make the comparison to Eric Johnson AND I gave y'all the obvious perfect nick name.. Oh and I've been I die hard FAITHFUL 49ers fan for 21 years. Don't slight at my dedication or attention to detail dude.
P.S. And yes, I know it'll never happen, but I STILL think Vance would make one helluva OLB. Potentially just as good as a TE though too, so Im obliged to accept him there! but guess what? I did some RESEARCH before making and decisive reservations and found out not only did he play a lot LB in High School, but his father played Linebacker for the Longhorns!
#facts#irritation#life
i just love how he just plows through defenders while going out for a pass....just like Boldin. I think Kap is going to be VERY important to his developement...regarding keeping his head into the game, if he drops a pass or two. Kap seems to have a way with words and looked very much like a leader on the field helping Colt and White Jesus. Also Vernon is the perfect vet tohave in front of him as an example of a reciever who over came his issues with drop passes. Vance lucked out being drafted by us.
I like this kid's potential a lot. I sure am going to miss it when our 2nd tight end dont drop the ball on third down doe
Originally posted by Garcia:
Dude got scared on a crossing route, mad alligator arms.

Yep. People on the board are excited and look past his flaws. He didn't block very well and missed easy receptions. BUT he has huge upside.
Share 49ersWebzone