There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

• SaksV
  • Veteran
I'm excited to see Vance McDonald perform. If he finds his groove early it gives the offence so much more flexibility to utilize Vernon Davis (and conversely, McDonald) in ways he hasn't been used before. With a legit threat at both TE spots, teams will be forced to bring their safeties down to cover them, leaving much more 1-on-1s for the WRs on the outside.
No way to know this, but due to his size, Vance should be able to get off the LOS quickly just get past first down marker, and on 3rd downs, make a catch and just sit down ...a la Welker, albeit a guy twice his size. I think VAnce can do that, as well as work out of the slot, plus medium range passes on posts or comebackers, or on plane old streak it downfield. One thing he will definitely do...he will make the days of doubling #85 past tense. They have not played down 1 of football yet, but I believe we have more O talent than virtually anybody else out there...oh, and our Qb isn't chopped liver and our OL isn't either. Think about this for receivers:
Vance, #85, Boldin, AJ, Patton, kyle, hunter, frank, LMJ...plus celek and Dixon if we want. On paper it looks like we could put on an O that makes football look like a track meet if we want. Plus later we may get Mario. Injuries at the ball catching positions have bedeviled us for last two yrs, both Harbaugh's. I don't think that happens this yr.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
No way to know this, but due to his size, Vance should be able to get off the LOS quickly just get past first down marker, and on 3rd downs, make a catch and just sit down ...a la Welker, albeit a guy twice his size. I think VAnce can do that, as well as work out of the slot, plus medium range passes on posts or comebackers, or on plane old streak it downfield. One thing he will definitely do...he will make the days of doubling #85 past tense. They have not played down 1 of football yet, but I believe we have more O talent than virtually anybody else out there...oh, and our Qb isn't chopped liver and our OL isn't either. Think about this for receivers:
Vance, #85, Boldin, AJ, Patton, kyle, hunter, frank, LMJ...plus celek and Dixon if we want. On paper it looks like we could put on an O that makes football look like a track meet if we want. Plus later we may get Mario. Injuries at the ball catching positions have bedeviled us for last two yrs, both Harbaugh's. I don't think that happens this yr.

If we still had Crabs I'd agree with ya. But until AJ & Patton show something on the field I wouldnt put the Niners above some other offenses with many weapons like the Broncos or Falcons. Its gonna be a fun offense to watch though providing AJ can stretch the field and LMJ turns into Sproles 2.0. I think we are gonna see allot of passes coming out of heavy sets. Not to mention a wildcard in BJ Daniels if he makes the team. Juking Willis out of his shoes is no easy feat.
McDonald is going to be Brent Jones 2.0 but bigger. Granted, the way Kaep plays it won't be Montana or Young seeing them out of the corner of their eye while they are looking at Craig, Rathman, Taylor, and Rice...but Kaep WILL find him.

If they get in a groove watch out.
Originally posted by KK49:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If McDonald turns out to be as good as we hope, we will by far have the best TE tandem in the entire NFL.

hell yes...
after the best QB , OT, OG, RB (trio), DT, OLB, ILB (undisputed), CB tandem and S ( ooh wait scratch that, may be next year.. )
wow that would be too much

It's a big "if".

Also, not sure I've heard anyone say anything about the best pair of anything on this team outside of ILBs.
He's a poor man's Bear Pascoe
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:

a poor man's bear pascoe is bear pascoe
ROFL

Yes! This second round pick is almost identical to the sixth round pick Pascoe. Other than the fact that McDonald is faster, stronger and has caught a lot more passes, they could be twins!
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Yes! This second round pick is almost identical to the sixth round pick Pascoe. Other than the fact that McDonald is faster, stronger and has caught a lot more passes, they could be twins!

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

a poor man's bear pascoe is bare pascoe

Fixed!
i have a feeling the 9ers will use vance mcdonald in vernon davis's role from last year and utilize vernon like they did delanie walker

delanie's role might be too complicated for vance to pick up in year 1

we shall see. it'd be a nice wrinkle to use
After the season is over, he's going to be legally eligible to change his name from 'Vance' to 'Beast'.

Though no rookies have yet scored a touchdown or made a key block or tackle in a real NFL game, many already have caught the eyes of teammates, coaches and the media as players who might make an impact in 2013. Chris Wesseling, who writes for NFL.com's Around the League section, picked out nine rookies that have been particularly good so far in minicamps and organized team activities (OTAs) since being drafted in April.

Among those is Niners tight end Vance McDonald, a second-round pick from Rice (the 55th overall selection in the draft) who caught 120 passes for 1,513 yards and 15 scores in four years of college football.

Wesseling puts McDonald in a group that consists of Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, Jaguars safety Johnathan Cyprien, Chargers linebacker Manti Te'o, Texans safety D.J. Swearinger, Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert, Ravens safety Matt Elam, Raiders linebacker Sio Moore and Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu.

McDonald, says Wesseling, emerged as a favorite target of 49ers quarterbacks and is expected to fill the role vacated by Delanie Walker, who left as a free agent.

Matt Barrows, who covers the 49ers for the Sacramento Bee, also filed positive reports about McDonald's performance in OTAs and minicamps.

"McDonald may have been the biggest standout among the (49ers') 11-man draft class," wrote Barrows. "The 6-4, 270-pound tight end showed why Rice used him so heavily as a wideout. He was a favorite for all the quarterbacks this spring, and he showed a real knack for catching passes that weren't exactly quite on target.

"McDonald has a big wingspan (34½-inch arms) and a huge catching radius."

Barrows also noted his agility and ability to adjust while running his routes, to catch balls thrown behind him or too high or too low, noting it builds confident with quarterbacks.

Coach Jim Harbaugh also called McDonald "outstanding" after the final day of minicamp, when McDonald – on his birthday – made several fine catches.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Rookie-Tight-End-McDonald-Has-Earned-Accolades-211824591.html
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
After the season is over, he's going to be legally eligible to change his name from 'Vance' to 'Beast'.

Though no rookies have yet scored a touchdown or made a key block or tackle in a real NFL game, many already have caught the eyes of teammates, coaches and the media as players who might make an impact in 2013. Chris Wesseling, who writes for NFL.com's Around the League section, picked out nine rookies that have been particularly good so far in minicamps and organized team activities (OTAs) since being drafted in April.

Among those is Niners tight end Vance McDonald, a second-round pick from Rice (the 55th overall selection in the draft) who caught 120 passes for 1,513 yards and 15 scores in four years of college football.

Wesseling puts McDonald in a group that consists of Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, Jaguars safety Johnathan Cyprien, Chargers linebacker Manti Te'o, Texans safety D.J. Swearinger, Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert, Ravens safety Matt Elam, Raiders linebacker Sio Moore and Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu.

McDonald, says Wesseling, emerged as a favorite target of 49ers quarterbacks and is expected to fill the role vacated by Delanie Walker, who left as a free agent.

Matt Barrows, who covers the 49ers for the Sacramento Bee, also filed positive reports about McDonald's performance in OTAs and minicamps.

"McDonald may have been the biggest standout among the (49ers') 11-man draft class," wrote Barrows. "The 6-4, 270-pound tight end showed why Rice used him so heavily as a wideout. He was a favorite for all the quarterbacks this spring, and he showed a real knack for catching passes that weren't exactly quite on target.

"McDonald has a big wingspan (34½-inch arms) and a huge catching radius."

Barrows also noted his agility and ability to adjust while running his routes, to catch balls thrown behind him or too high or too low, noting it builds confident with quarterbacks.

Coach Jim Harbaugh also called McDonald "outstanding" after the final day of minicamp, when McDonald – on his birthday – made several fine catches.
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/Rookie-Tight-End-McDonald-Has-Earned-Accolades-211824591.html

Vernon who?
Vernons gonna be our #2 WR while McD lights it up at TE this year.
Have fun Kaep.