LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 232 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

I like that he seems to be making strides, but these kind of strides should be ones made by undrafted players in their first year, not 2nd round picks in their third. Vance still has a really long way to go.

All this. Vance has a LONG way to go before Im impressed.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by cciowa:
wonder if the team will sign someone or maybe bring up the guy on the practice squad up to fill celeks role.. to bad for him and his ankle but vance and the kid bell are more than fine to me

Why not just use Miller more in an H-back sort of role? He's 6'3 or 6'2 and has good hands. I honestly think that Gabbert, dare I say it, would effectively use Jared Hayne as a receiving target. Drughn has been good, but Hayne is a better receiver out of the backfield.

Excellent call!
Of the surprise few passes Hayne got thrown, he had good hands and an unique ability to quickly first scan for blockers adn then use them. I don't recall him dropping any of the handful of passes he got thrown. Agree with all above. And really like using miller as receiver, immaterial of where he lines up...back, WR, TE.
It's taken Gabbert/Chryst to understand that all you need to do is give VMac a catchable ball, preferably while in stride and he'll make plays. I'm sorry to see Celek go down, but enter Blake Bell. I was stoked when Baalke drafted him because he's got great size and excellent hands. He'll need to fill out more, but that'll come. For now, VMac and Bell are a formidable TE combo and Gabbert's taking full advantage of it. I like it.
Originally posted by Antix:

I like that he seems to be making strides, but these kind of strides should be ones made by undrafted players in their first year, not 2nd round picks in their third. Vance still has a really long way to go.

Yep. To be honest with you, Blake Bell impressed me more yesterday than Vance has in 3 seasons.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Antix:

Yep. To be honest with you, Blake Bell impressed me more yesterday than Vance has in 3 seasons.

You sir, get it.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
lets not forget his fumble. we got lucky and it went out of bounds, this time. Next time, we might not be so lucky.
Vance getting better production since VD is gone.

Still looks like he has shaky hands.

Also, what ChazBoner said.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 30, 2015 at 3:16 PM ]
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
about time this dude starts actually making some plays, he's still gotta long way to catch up.

career stats

catches - 8
fumbles and drops - 26

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by susweel:
about time this dude starts actually making some plays, he's still gotta long way to catch up.

career stats

catches - 8
fumbles and drops - 26

lmao, is that real?
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

If that was Vernon, he would have taken a step further back, did a little stop shimmy and probably been tackled one inch from the first.

All I can say is how can't you like a TE who runs strong after the catch. He showed this on a few catches his rookie year and you could see the potential. Now, it looks like he has gained confidence and could be a wrecking ball after the catch.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

career stats

catches - 8
fumbles and drops - 26

lmao, is that real?

For the most part but actual numbers may differ.
Originally posted by Joecool:

If that was Vernon, he would have taken a step further back, did a little stop shimmy and probably been tackled one inch from the first.

All I can say is how can't you like a TE who runs strong after the catch. He showed this on a few catches his rookie year and you could see the potential. Now, it looks like he has gained confidence and could be a wrecking ball after the catch.

Or he would have scored because he would have ran right by the defense.
No need to crap on Vernon, especially to hype a player who has been a total bust.
It was nice to see him play well yesterday
Share 49ersWebzone