LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Ya, hes average at best. Id rater see bell and celek in there.

Vance is a better blocker than either of them, also a better route runner and a lot faster.
It's amazing what someone can do when they're finally targeted more then twice a year. V mac's got talent and seems to be developing quickly. Really intrigued with V Mac and Bell moving forward.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Aight ill give McButterfingers some credit. He's playing better. Still wanna see more since he should be our #1 te
Originally posted by Antix:
Aight ill give McButterfingers some credit. He's playing better. Still wanna see more since he should be our #1 te

Well his target have increased from one every other game to 4 or 5 a game with Gabbert so he's at least getting a chance to make plays finally.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Antix:

Well his target have increased from one every other game to 4 or 5 a game with Gabbert so he's at least getting a chance to make plays finally.

We may not have to address TE in the offseason with V Mac, Bell, Celek, Busta.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
gotta give him credit, we got some good tight ends. is the new qb the reason for this?
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
gotta give him credit, we got some good tight ends. is the new qb the reason for this?

100mph fast balls are much tougher to catch.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
I think a lot of Vance's muffs from earlier on were from him trying to do too much with the rare chances he got. Ill advised dives forward and things of that nature.

He can block, he can truck, he can hurdle, and he's beginning to play like a bona fide pass catcher now.

I think we'll see him progress further.
Originally posted by TyCore:
I think a lot of Vance's muffs from earlier on were from him trying to do too much with the rare chances he got. Ill advised dives forward and things of that nature.

He can block, he can truck, he can hurdle, and he's beginning to play like a bona fide pass catcher now.

I think we'll see him progress further.

Been saying this from day 1...Vance is probably the best blocking TE in the game which was/is critical to our running game the same way Gronk is critical to NE's passing game. Vance had no issues catching passes WHEN he knew he was the primary target. After that, he was a drop machine (concentration; pressing to make a play given he only got a shot once every three games).

The real issue, has always been usage. Now that he's been incorporated into the passing game and getting many opportunities a game, proper coaching, he's showing the full, complete package we always wanted from a 2nd round pick. He's a great fit now for our running game and new WCO passing game!

Also, can't wait to see Bell continue to shine...Draughn continues to be about 30% of our offense (80+ tough yards in the running game + receiving). You could see Draughn is getting back into football shape as well. He looked much quicker this game. He could end up being a perfect compliment to Hyde.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 30, 2015 at 8:25 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
wonder if the team will sign someone or maybe bring up the guy on the practice squad up to fill celeks role.. to bad for him and his ankle but vance and the kid bell are more than fine to me

wonder if the team will sign someone or maybe bring up the guy on the practice squad up to fill celeks role.. to bad for him and his ankle but vance and the kid bell are more than fine to me

Why not just use Miller more in an H-back sort of role? He's 6'3 or 6'2 and has good hands. I honestly think that Gabbert, dare I say it, would effectively use Jared Hayne as a receiving target. Drughn has been good, but Hayne is a better receiver out of the backfield.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 30, 2015 at 8:43 AM ]
  • lazy
  • Veteran
It was nice to see him have back to back good games. Hopefully Mcdonald can keep it up.
Vance is getting better. The only problem he has is catching and holding on with the ball, which is a huge problem of course. But once he gets the ball, he is a beast.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

Why not just use Miller more in an H-back sort of role? He's 6'3 or 6'2 and has good hands. I honestly think that Gabbert, dare I say it, would effectively use Jared Hayne as a receiving target. Drughn has been good, but Hayne is a better receiver out of the backfield.

thank you joe.. forgot about miller. thank you
While I am happy to see McDonald has progressed past the stage of useless aside from blocking, I still don't trust him. He had a huge drop yesterday, and on his biggest play, he fumbled (yes I know it went out of bounds, but still a fumble).

I like that he seems to be making strides, but these kind of strides should be ones made by undrafted players in their first year, not 2nd round picks in their third. Vance still has a really long way to go.
Share 49ersWebzone