LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Vance is a dude whose contract I want the team to immediately extend in the offseason like they did with Ian Williams and Tremaine Brock. Ca$h in on his slow development in the passing game.

Same with Tank & Lemonier. Buy low.

You know Baalke and Paraag are all over that.

This.
Originally posted by SoCold:
did not practice (left ankle)

High ankle sprain or much more mild? Anyone?

It is likely a common ankle sprain Bc he was walking on it the same day.

High ankle sprains usually involves pain with every step you take.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
I hope so. Baalke's been hit or miss IMO. I've been extremely critical of him not mortgaging future years for improvement at WR and CB in 2012 - 2014 (a little Andy-Reid-esque), but he's still a good evaluator of long-term value at most positions IMO.

Had Stevie Johnson and didn't even use him. Don't think an elite wr talent would've been any different. Shouldn't mortgage for guys who won't be used by your staff.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
I think GeepLo are really stressing the low to high reads to give the defense something to think about. You have to admit that teams, especially the Shehags, didn't respect us in the flat. And they were right because HarRo rarely targeted the flats even when they were wide open.

On a quick three step drop without a hitch, with the LB showing inside, this is an easy quick read to Vance, get some yardage, especially vs a blitz and force DAL to adjust. With the blitz coming, and if Kap tries to hold it a second to allow bold initiative to get open and if Kap gets sacked, he will get flamed by coaches, fans and his momma, both of them.
Our TEs are going to finally get some passes this yr, and we are going to be able to field 3 hot shots in vern, vance and bell. I think all 3 are going to have big yrs, and further, do not think that once in lineup, anybody is going to be able to prevent Bell from completing a pass.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Had Stevie Johnson and didn't even use him. Don't think an elite wr talent would've been any different. Shouldn't mortgage for guys who won't be used by your staff.

But Stevie Johnson wasn't really all that good. And by 2014, CB was the problem; not WR. Same with 2013.

They needed a deep-threat WR in 2011-2014, and Baalke never paid the money for one. They also needed an upgrade at CB in 2013 IMO, but they settled for friggn' Nnamdi.

Baalke went al Andy Reid, and he got the exact same result. ALMOST winning Super Bowls.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

That's what I thought too. They said he was standing on the sidelines still with his shoe/socks on. So it didn't appear to be bad at all...probably just precautionary. They got him one pass in. He was done.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Our TEs are going to finally get some passes this yr, and we are going to be able to field 3 hot shots in vern, vance and bell. I think all 3 are going to have big yrs, and further, do not think that once in lineup, anybody is going to be able to prevent Bell from completing a pass.

Revisiting our research and predictions post. So far this looks right...BUT with much higher emphasis on TE usuage. We're about to see a much more balanced offense IMHO.

Using Logan/Chryst OC tenures, below you will see a 7-year aggregate average of offensive production. These are our 2015 baseline stats and projections compared to the final 2014 results:

Aggregate Annual (Game) Yard Averages: 2015 Baseline Projections --- 2014 Final Results
Passing: 3,600 (225) --- 3,369 (211)
Rushing: 2,448 (153) --- 2,176 (136)

WR1 – 688 (43) --- 1,062 (66)
WR2 – 528 (33) --- 698 (44)
WR3 – 336 (21) --- 435 (27)
WR4 – 304 (19) --- 294 (18)
HB+3 – 672 (42) --- 368 (23)
TE1 – 384 (24) --- 245 (15)

Analysis: Looks about right, huh!?! The WR1 leads the team in receiving yards. But what stands out in this aggregate Logan/Geep offensive production is the use of not 1, not 2 but 3 RB's in the passing game. Collectively, they are 2nd or 3rd (WR2) in reception yards, followed by WR3 and TE1 with WR4 bringing up the end. A TE2 does not seem to be utilized much in favor of a WR3 & WR4 with a nice distribution of receivers and balance of yards. You'll see the total passing yards and running yards won't be much drastic from what we've seen under HaRoman looking at the 2014 final results. But we should see a better distribution and less predictability while remaining focused on the running game while we transition to a zone blocking scheme.

Where we'll probably see the potential for all these passing numbers to increase dramatically is with the talent we have compared to what Logan/Geep had to work with during their tenures. Can we expect better total yards from RB receivers such as Hyde, Bush and Hunter/Hayne (even Miller/Millard)? Most likely. How about with T.Smith, Boldin, Ellington/White and Patton? How about V.Davis, McDonald & Bell benefiting underneath them now? I'd say it's reasonable to assume a modest increase on talent alone but I'll remain conservative here. Another thing of note, is that Jim Harbaugh (1999 Chargers) was 4th on the team in rushing. It's also safe to assume Kaepernick might pick up a few yards on the ground as well adding to that rushing total.

So all in all, let's make our conservative 2015 predictions with OUR roster now that we have our baseline stats to work from:

2015 Receiving Projections: Total Yards (Per Game Average)
WR1 Boldin = 980 (61)
WR2 T.Smith = 724 (45)
WR3 Ellington= 434 (27)

WR4 Patton = 304 (19)
TE1 = 420 (26)
HB+3 = 544 (34)

2015 Kaepernick Projections: Niners816
Attempts - 480
Completions - 300
Completion % - 62.5%
Yards - 3,500

TD's - 21
INT's - 10
QB Rating - 90.5
Rushing Yards - 700

Rushing TD's - 5

2015 Total Yards of Offensive Projections:
Receiving Yards: 3,500
Rushing Yards: 2,200

Per Game Average: 357 (less sacks and penalty yards)
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 29, 2015 at 7:57 AM ]

That's what I thought too. They said he was standing on the sidelines still with his shoe/socks on. So it didn't appear to be bad at all...probably just precautionary. They got him one pass in. He was done.

Is he scheduled to play tonite?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

No clue. Anyone?

• evil
  • Veteran
No clue. Anyone?

Have not seen anything but guessing he sits out for precautionary reasons.
Revisiting our research and predictions post. So far this looks right...BUT with much higher emphasis on TE usuage. We're about to see a much more balanced offense IMHO.

Using Logan/Chryst OC tenures, below you will see a 7-year aggregate average of offensive production. These are our 2015 baseline stats and projections compared to the final 2014 results:

Aggregate Annual (Game) Yard Averages: 2015 Baseline Projections --- 2014 Final Results
Passing: 3,600 (225) --- 3,369 (211)
Rushing: 2,448 (153) --- 2,176 (136)

WR1 – 688 (43) --- 1,062 (66)
WR2 – 528 (33) --- 698 (44)
WR3 – 336 (21) --- 435 (27)
WR4 – 304 (19) --- 294 (18)
HB+3 – 672 (42) --- 368 (23)
TE1 – 384 (24) --- 245 (15)

Analysis: Looks about right, huh!?! The WR1 leads the team in receiving yards. But what stands out in this aggregate Logan/Geep offensive production is the use of not 1, not 2 but 3 RB's in the passing game. Collectively, they are 2nd or 3rd (WR2) in reception yards, followed by WR3 and TE1 with WR4 bringing up the end. A TE2 does not seem to be utilized much in favor of a WR3 & WR4 with a nice distribution of receivers and balance of yards. You'll see the total passing yards and running yards won't be much drastic from what we've seen under HaRoman looking at the 2014 final results. But we should see a better distribution and less predictability while remaining focused on the running game while we transition to a zone blocking scheme.

Where we'll probably see the potential for all these passing numbers to increase dramatically is with the talent we have compared to what Logan/Geep had to work with during their tenures. Can we expect better total yards from RB receivers such as Hyde, Bush and Hunter/Hayne (even Miller/Millard)? Most likely. How about with T.Smith, Boldin, Ellington/White and Patton? How about V.Davis, McDonald & Bell benefiting underneath them now? I'd say it's reasonable to assume a modest increase on talent alone but I'll remain conservative here. Another thing of note, is that Jim Harbaugh (1999 Chargers) was 4th on the team in rushing. It's also safe to assume Kaepernick might pick up a few yards on the ground as well adding to that rushing total.

So all in all, let's make our conservative 2015 predictions with OUR roster now that we have our baseline stats to work from:

2015 Receiving Projections: Total Yards (Per Game Average)
WR1 Boldin = 980 (61)
WR2 T.Smith = 724 (45)
WR3 Ellington= 434 (27)

WR4 Patton = 304 (19)
TE1 = 420 (26)
HB+3 = 544 (34)

2015 Kaepernick Projections: Niners816
Attempts - 480
Completions - 300
Completion % - 62.5%
Yards - 3,500

TD's - 21
INT's - 10
QB Rating - 90.5
Rushing Yards - 700

Rushing TD's - 5

2015 Total Yards of Offensive Projections:
Receiving Yards: 3,500
Rushing Yards: 2,200

Per Game Average: 357 (less sacks and penalty yards)

You dont see White playing
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I recall Maiocco mentioning that he was out for the game in a column from a day or two ago.
Originally posted by Constantine:
You dont see White playing

I think White makes the roster as the #5 WR but gets bumped off when Simpson returns. The team seems pretty locked in with Patton as the #3 and Ellington as the #4 at the moment. If White can prove himself on special teams as a returner then I think he's got a shot to stick over the long haul but thus far it seems like Aussie Thunder has the returner roles on lockdown.
We have alot of special team young players this year
Share 49ersWebzone