There are 162 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You wanna site your "analysis"? I've read a few bits on him too and am pretty confident I can regurgitate exactly what you said, but you don't have the slightest bit of context unless you were a fan of Rice and watched them play frequently. Again, I'm going to have to side with Harbaugh (who built TE University at Stanford) and Baalke on this one.

What makes you think they consider him a starter as our 2nd TE?

Because Vernon is still on the roster.

They moved up in the second round to grab him. They clearly targeted him and he has Harbaugh all giddy. Truth be told, I have no idea how he's going to do this year, but he certainly has potential and this staff has excelled with raw potential.

This. I would've thought drafting a TE in the 2nd rounder is a clear indication that see him as the number 2 TE.
This is going to be fun to see how he does in the offense. Remember VD, Mr. Hands of Stone? That dude worked his butt off and I have no doubt, VD is going to take him under his own wing and ensure he catches everything, blocks correctly and even learns a thing or two about art. LOL. That said, McDonald has a ton to learn about OUR offense and his role will be VERY complicated at first...he needs to learn how to line up out of the Q, with the OL, out at WR, routes, wham blocks, goal line, etc. But he's going to learn quickly behind VD and with this coaching staff who tend to coach in increments; slow installations.
If I could "Predict" how every selection would do I'd be on the 49er staff. I vcan't do it and neither can anyone else.

Based on where we picked him and movig up to get him - it's pretty logical that he'd be our 2nd TE.

That said, if I could predict anything I would have won all my bets and have high-priced call girls visiting me twice a day.

That's my fantasy football.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
You wanna site your "analysis"? I've read a few bits on him too and am pretty confident I can regurgitate exactly what you said, but you don't have the slightest bit of context unless you were a fan of Rice and watched them play frequently. Again, I'm going to have to side with Harbaugh (who built TE University at Stanford) and Baalke on this one.

He also made Andrew Luck
Just some food for thought on Vance since he's being compared to Gronk.....

""Yahoo Sports' Michael Silver reported McDonald was the tight end the 49ers wanted all along, over Ertz, and could give San Francisco even more offensive options. Silver wrote it's a move "that could allow San Francisco to feature a Patriots-style, two-tight-end passing circus" in conjunction with Davis.""

Vance
6'4" - 267 lbs
34.375 - Arm Length
10.125 - Hand Size
4.69 - Forty
33.5 - Vert
9'11" - Broad
4.53 - Short Shuttle
7.08 - 3 Cone
31 - Reps at 225

Gronk
6'6" - 258 lbs
34.25 - Arm Length
10.75 - Hand Size
4.68 - Forty
33.5 - Vert
9'11" - Broad
4.47 - Short Shuttle
7.18 - 3 Cone
23 - Reps at 225


hmmmmmmmmmmm.....eerily similar.


Sources


http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/vance-mcdonald?id=2540215
http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2010/03/27/rosenhaus-gronkowski-a-first-rounder-after-impressive-workout/


Now we could only DREAM he's half as good as Gronk, but the raw material is there and the coaching staff is in place. Also, with Crabs, Boldin, Vern and our shifty RB's, Vance should get plenty of 1 on 1's with the weakest link on the opposing teams. Im excited to see if he can make it happen.


Walker caught 19-198-3TD in 2011 and 21-344-3TD in 2012. I think Vance has a great shot of besting those numbers. Now if Vance can provide some of the blocking Walker did, we have ourselves and upgrade in 2013 and MASSIVE potential moving forward!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This. I would've thought drafting a TE in the 2nd rounder is a clear indication that see him as the number 2 TE.


Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
If I could "Predict" how every selection would do I'd be on the 49er staff. I vcan't do it and neither can anyone else.

Based on where we picked him and movig up to get him - it's pretty logical that he'd be our 2nd TE.

That said, if I could predict anything I would have won all my bets and have high-priced call girls visiting me twice a day.

That's my fantasy football.

Hmmm I kinda felt the same way last year with AJ Jenkins... But you know what happened there. Long story short he has potential let's see if he can play, I have my doubts it translates well to the pro-game but I'll be happy to be wrong.
[ Edited by Need4Speed on May 3, 2013 at 12:41 PM ]
Is Vance an upgrade over Walker? A second rounder that is very raw, probably not, but give this kid a year or two to better develop his skills and we could have a monster on our hands. I see people talking about his questionable hands, are you kidding me? How many footballs did Walker drop or fumble over the years? Delanie was a key part of the offense last year because of the teams lack of passing weapons outside of Crabtree and Vernon. This team does not need Vance to be as big of a part of the offense as Delanie was because Boldin and Hopefully Manningham, Jenkins and Patton emerge as threats.
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
Is Vance an upgrade over Walker? A second rounder that is very raw, probably not, but give this kid a year or two to better develop his skills and we could have a monster on our hands. I see people talking about his questionable hands, are you kidding me? How many footballs did Walker drop or fumble over the years? Delanie was a key part of the offense last year because of the teams lack of passing weapons outside of Crabtree and Vernon. This team does not need Vance to be as big of a part of the offense as Delanie was because Boldin and Hopefully Manningham, Jenkins and Patton emerge as threats.

Well said...
  • kush
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,649
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
We get it, you're upset about the player and are convinced he's going to be a "turrible" TE.........do you have anything else besides negativity to contribute to this thread????

Lol I think he is an "alright" prospect. I think we reached but I don't hate him. If he is going to be good I think it will be in a couple years not this year. I think it's funny how unrealistic the expectations are for a guy who has proven little. The assumptions are almost completely based on his "practice in shorts." One of the common things being stated is "man he will be a red zone threat." I thought he had 4 touchdowns last year. I was wrong he had 2 he was tied for 4th on his team in TD receptions with the third string TE. If he wasn't considered a redzone target on the RICE owls why are we thinking he will be one for us? This to me is a common sense question not assuming he will be "turrible". My reaction is one in response to the wonderland analysis of our fellow faithful.

Positives+++ He will lock onto defenders with long arms and 4 years of stalk blocking. Put him on a play blocking down field with Crab and Bolden is absolutely scary. He will destroy some defenders blocking in space. He understands how to use his body to block out on sit down routes. Big hitters in the secondary will not punish him, He is just too big too fast he will be a great fourth quarter while ahead target when we are looking to punish the defense with running and hard hitting. Falls forward every play gaining extra yardage and carrying defenders. Understand complex zone schemes and is a smart player. Will find soft spots in zone coverage. Seems to be in the right place at the right time consistently. Never see him making mental mistakes.


Negatives--- Does not get separation against man coverage. Does not use leverage blocking and is used to tracking smaller players while blocking verses In-line blocking.(good news is D.Walker was rarely used as an in-line blocker on the strong side of a play.) Hands are not good and despite his size has a problems holding onto the ball. Most of his yards and production came in spread and frequently ran bubble screens. We will not be giving him 4 bubble screens a game. Doesn't shake defenders doesn't break many tackles despite impressive yac.

Which game is all this based on? There are only limited clips online of Vance and if you can come to all these conclusions form just those tapes, I cant help but question your point of view.
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
What makes you think they consider him a starter as our 2nd TE? My analysis is my own, I have seen 4 games vance played, I wasn't taking notes or anything silly. It's just what I remember from the games. I had to watch some highlights to recall them as I do normally. Honestly I wasn't very impressed but to be honest all the games I watched the team "Rice" struggled.


You watched 4 Rice games? I call BS
[ Edited by Bluesbro on May 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM ]
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Hmmm I kinda felt the same way last year with AJ Jenkins... But you know what happened there. Long story short he has potential let's see if he can play, I have my doubts it translates well to the pro-game but I'll be happy to be wrong.

I can't say the same. I was disappointed with the pic. I wanted him to do well, but didn't expect much in year one because he was coming in with so many receivers in front of him. It would be different if McDonald were drafted as a raw project with Delanie Walker still on the team. I think AJ Jenkins will be fine, but I'm higher on McDonald in year one than I was with Jenkins in year one. His biggest advantage is that he should get some decent playing time.
Guys , in case no one noticed, I believe Vance (272)outweighs at least 3 of Our LBs. Also if you go back to the Baylor game against Longhorns...you will see one DB missing from the picture. You guessed it ....Vaccaro. That was a great pick NOT to make on the "best" FS.

Back to Vance, if he has long arms, was 2nd in TEs in the 40, blocks well,and the sucker is smart....unnnhh....how in the world is this not a huge improvement over Delanie?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Guys , in case no one noticed, I believe Vance (272)outweighs at least 3 of Our LBs. Also if you go back to the Baylor game against Longhorns...you will see one DB missing from the picture. You guessed it ....Vaccaro. That was a great pick NOT to make on the "best" FS.

Back to Vance, if he has long arms, was 2nd in TEs in the 40, blocks well,and the sucker is smart....unnnhh....how in the world is this not a huge improvement over Delanie?

People want to complain about something.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
You watched 4 Rice games? I call BS

Call whatever you want. I watch alot of college games I might be switching back and fourth while a couple are on dvr as well lol. I wouldn't be able to watch as often but Gameplan gives me shows through the week as well. Rice wasn't a major team I was watching by any means but I know I saw at least 4 in the past 3 years. I think I really saw more like 8 or 9 but when I watch a highlight its pretty easy to recall if you saw it or not. But I don't really care if you believe me or not this the internet and there is no way to prove what I am saying. If you disagree with my analysis that is fine. I'm not sure why some seem to think that we all should agree.

One question I have which pick in the top 6 picks do you think is least likely to start when they are healthy? rank em 1 most likely 6 least likely
1 Eric Reid, 2. Tank Carradine, 2. Vance McDonald,3. Corey Lemonier,4. Quinton Patton, 4. Marcus Lattimore

I'd go basically 1.Reid 2. Patton 3 Carradine 4 Vance 5 lattimore 6 lemonier

and I count 2nd TE as a starter. I think Celek wins the job this year. Hell I won't be surprised if I'm wrong. I'm wrong frequently. But whats conjecture if your afraid to be wrong. Yes I agree with maddog that we should of drafted Eiffert and we still had woodsen/dahl as an option and the safety class was deep imo. But I'll be happy if Vance develops faster than I imagine. He is one hell of an athlete.
McDonald is going to be a huge upgrade. Instead of balls clanking off hands of stone in the end zone, we're going to see a huge player with long arms and soft hands going up above DB's in the end zone even though he's covered. The Niners have needed that kind of TE now for quite a while and I think they've got one.