There are 217 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We drafted another TE in the 4th. That should indicate Baalke's thoughts on Vance.

creating good competition,,. i am thinking carrier will start out the year still hurt? vance needs some competition and i like this bell kid. of course we are all hoping and assuming vernon will bounce back
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Sparano-on-TE-McDonald-Some-of-his-best-6405337.php

I sure hope so....If we've already seen his best football, this pick was a colossal flop.
Dude is great when we get him the ball...like the article says...he was misused

like all of our players

Sometimes I just like to poke fun at things. Generally, I agree with you. If someone is drafted in the 3rd or higher, they should be given the chance to fail. Force feed this dude the ball for a couple of games, until he proves he can make a play.

Then again, I guess thats what practice is for; to prove your game worthy...I dont know....

I remember watching Vance in college and he was fast and could catch the ball w/VERY little problems.

I feel the Jh/Roman offense sucked and it made us look much worse than the talent level would indicate.

BUT it's almost "showtime" and we have some quality coaches in place - so "Let the games begin!"

I'm thinking #1 = VD

#2 = Bell

#3 = Vance

They also extended Carrier, and Anderson is pretty exciting. Tough group to call. I'm expecting some intrigue involving injuries and trades. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we keep 4.
Originally posted by cciowa:
We drafted another TE in the 4th. That should indicate Baalke's thoughts on Vance.

creating good competition,,. i am thinking carrier will start out the year still hurt? vance needs some competition and i like this bell kid. of course we are all hoping and assuming vernon will bounce back

Yes, I don't think that drafting TE's this year means anything about Vance, necessarily. Baalke, as 49ers supporters ought to have realised by now, drafts with an eye several years in the future. By which time VD may well be either too expensive or in the process of breaking down. So who knows.
At least we know we can resign him to the minimum
Originally posted by English:
Yes, I don't think that drafting TE's this year means anything about Vance, necessarily. Baalke, as 49ers supporters ought to have realised by now, drafts with an eye several years in the future. By which time VD may well be either too expensive or in the process of breaking down. So who knows.

Yup, if we don't have on get injured or "injured" in camp, we could keep 4, just to know who our 3 would be if Vernon is gone next year. Tough roster decisions this year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Yup, if we don't have on get injured or "injured" in camp, we could keep 4, just to know who our 3 would be if Vernon is gone next year. Tough roster decisions this year.

but but but, i thought this years roster was much like the 2004 roster
Originally posted by cciowa:

True. Also, maybe Baalke is thinking about the future if VD walks.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 26, 2015 at 2:16 PM ]
I hope Sparano was dropping a hint when he acknowledged the way we've used Vance the past 2 years is very different from the way he was used in college. When we drafted him, I assumed we would use him as a jumbo slot WR, like he was used in college. Instead we used him as a more athletic version of Garrett Celek. I don't get it.

He's always had suspect hands, so I'm not sold on him at all, but at least use him to his strength. Kudos to him for developing into a good blocker, but it's time to evolve this offense into the 21st century. This is a 6'4" 260 pound athlete that can run and stretch the field. Give him a shot in the passing game, and if he can't do it, move on.
In college his hands were fine. Here he was just another OL ...at the end of the line. damn, i wish harbaw would have just left him alone and let him play the new NFL, or NPL if you wish...Natl Passing League. Nope , instead they have to make him a blocker and his # of chances fell way off from college. Maybe he gets to return to the thing that made him great in college....his abiity to catch the ball. That is what we needed, but no, , harbaw the 3 yds and a cloud of dust man , makes him into a blocker. I would love to see vance return to college form and become a big target guy again. Why harbaw got away from that puzzles me. The NFL is always lookiing for big target guys. We got one, we should use him thus.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
In college his hands were fine. Here he was just another OL ...at the end of the line. damn, i wish harbaw would have just left him alone and let him play the new NFL, or NPL if you wish...Natl Passing League. Nope , instead they have to make him a blocker and his # of chances fell way off from college. Maybe he gets to return to the thing that made him great in college....his abiity to catch the ball. That is what we needed, but no, , harbaw the 3 yds and a cloud of dust man , makes him into a blocker. I would love to see vance return to college form and become a big target guy again. Why harbaw got away from that puzzles me. The NFL is always lookiing for big target guys. We got one, we should use him thus.

Vance can stretch the field, but the timing between him and Kap was always off. New coaching staff has to emphasis building some chemistry between them in practices. I still think we're going to run a lot of 2 TE sets. In this case, both guys have to be threats in the passing game. Haven't had that since Delanie was here.

Too bad we let Delanie walk. I think we win a SuperBowl if he stayed. Him on the field with Davis was difficult to defend. Paying guys isn't always about their pure talent or ability, its about what they mean to the team.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jul 26, 2015 at 3:04 PM ]
Too bad we let Delanie walk. I think we win a SuperBowl if he stayed. Him on the field with Davis was difficult to defend. Paying guys isn't always about their pure talent or ability, its about what they mean to the team.

Totally agree. He was a big part of what made our offense unique. Opened up a ton of mismatch opportunities have him and Davis on the field together.

It's all about versatility. I never liked pigeon-holing guys to one single responsiblity, be it receiving, rushing, blocking. They have to be able to do it all. Keep the defense guessing.

Vance has the athletic talent to do a lot of different things. I don''t like forcing him to strictly be a blocker. He needs to be a little more involved in the passing game if he's going to be on the field.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 26, 2015 at 3:08 PM ]
Agree Sofa, but would say this. Rather than timing being off, i think it was more a matter of our coaching being off. Harbaw wanted vance to block, so he did, to our detrimint. If JT comes out the way i hope, a semi gunslinger, then Vance can stretch the field...and i think the timing follows from there. If JT plays vance as a blocker, then just plain schidt. Big target, big hands, big play guy. Did we have one last yr , no. But vance wasn't used as you well know, so there is plenty of opportunity this yr for vance and kap to get on same page. This is a HC's call, plain and simple . I am betting on JT.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agree Sofa, but would say this. Rather than timing being off, i think it was more a matter of our coaching being off. Harbaw wanted vance to block, so he did, to our detrimint. If JT comes out the way i hope, a semi gunslinger, then Vance can stretch the field...and i think the timing follows from there. If JT plays vance as a blocker, then just plain schidt. Big target, big hands, big play guy. Did we have one last yr , no. But vance wasn't used as you well know, so there is plenty of opportunity this yr for vance and kap to get on same page. This is a HC's call, plain and simple . I am betting on JT.

I agree. Players do what they're told. I'm encouraged by what Sparano said about him. He knows he's a different player than what he was asked to be the last 2 years. I'm expecting the new staff to develop him more as a receiving TE now, while still using him as an extra blocker in certain situations. We want versatility.

I liked walker but he wanted to be paid and didn't have great hands at all.
Share 49ersWebzone