There are 208 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Vance "Big Mac" McDonald Thread

This may not seem like a big deal, but if this guy can come in and be our long snapper, it will be huge. There are going to be some solid players that we will be cutting this year, so every spot on that 53 man roster is important.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This may not seem like a big deal, but if this guy can come in and be our long snapper, it will be huge. There are going to be some solid players that we will be cutting this year, so every spot on that 53 man roster is important.

No way! You have him focus in building up to his potential as a TE that's it. Jennings even up there at age continues to do his job well
Originally posted by bALLSOhARD:

I think this video shows some of the skills we're all looking for. When I this I see clay to be molded. That earlier video was older and this one possibly shows Vance can grow in all areas of his game.

I totally get it watching this video. Clearly this kid needs some work. But you could see a tremendous body of work in this one game that shows a very good command of the base concepts we have been playing with in the read option and motion run game as well as the type of mismatches we try to get in formations. Most coaches see a kid dropping some balls. But there were plenty of times he was open and should have been the target on routes. The fact that this kid is comfortable in motion and blocking in space, totally aggressive and successful blocking downfield, even some running out of the backfield and a total load to bring down. I can totally see Roman salivating over this guy. We could turn him into a beast.
Harbaugh got him in #89 just like he said he would.
This kid needs to learn how to block, but I have confidence he will. D Walk improved his blocking drastically from the time he came in. I hope the reports about his questionable hands are BS. He will see significant playing time in his rookie year.
Originally posted by mayo49:

That is one square-jawed dude!

I agree, they may want to free up a roster spot,and this may be what the FO has in mind, as they signed a FA to compete with Jennings also,[a long snapper also has to cover returns a well]....and a rookie would be cheaper $$
LS Kevin McDermott, UCLA McDermott (6-4, 234) played 28 games as the Bruins' long-snapper. He will compete against consistent 13-year veteran Brian Jennings.
[ Edited by highway49 on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM ]
Originally posted by highway49:

I agree, they may want to free up a roster spot,and this may be what the FO has in mind, as they signed a FA to compete with Jennings also,[a long snapper also has to cover returns a well]....and a rookie would be cheaper $$
LS Kevin McDermott, UCLA McDermott (6-4, 234) played 28 games as the Bruins' long-snapper. He will compete against consistent 13-year veteran Brian Jennings.

I kinda disagree that McDonald should replace Jennings. I think it's actually dangerous to have your long snapper double up responsibilites in a game. Players get hurt all the time during games; would be a big scramble to replace your long snapper during a game. I think McDermott would be better suited instead of McDonald.
The TD play look so much like the Crabtree TD the first game against the Rams and also in Arizona first game
LOVE his fries!
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
LOVE his fries!

this guy sucks should have taken Eifert.

--Maddog
Originally posted by susweel:

--Maddog

THIS

--Maddog

People will stop with the Eifert nonsense once Reid turns out to be an absolute stud at safety.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

--Maddog

People will stop with the Eifert nonsense once Reid turns out to be an absolute stud at safety.

And McDonald turns out to be better than Eifert too.