LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I hope our new HC/OC does away with this limited targets to our backup receivers....

I'd like for plays specifically for Vance to be called and and we randomly hit Vernon for a big play.....just spread it around, so the defense doesn't focus Boldin/Crabtre/Vernon...

we might hit Hyde out of the backfield... might hit Vance anywhere.. hell, an inside screen to Vance

reverse to Ellington....or WR screen.

feature some of these talented weapons...and if they stink it up, move on.

Make this guy the new OC!

Seriously though, it's sad that fans seem to have a better idea of what to do than Roman. What are his credentials again?

Only previous OC experience is from high school.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
I hope our new HC/OC does away with this limited targets to our backup receivers....

I'd like for plays specifically for Vance to be called and and we randomly hit Vernon for a big play.....just spread it around, so the defense doesn't focus Boldin/Crabtre/Vernon...

we might hit Hyde out of the backfield... might hit Vance anywhere.. hell, an inside screen to Vance

Seriously though, it's sad that fans seem to have a better idea of what to do than Roman. What are his credentials again?

Jesus....

Originally posted by niner4life21:

Jesus....

From Jimmy Raye to Roman. We are so desperate for an NFL OC, I'm afraid that an average one may look like a genius to Jed and the staff.
Celek>Vance
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
From Jimmy Raye to Roman. We are so desperate for an NFL OC, I'm afraid that an average one may look like a genius to Jed and the staff.

The first game a WR is open TWICE on the correct side of the field.... I'll be doing this
He might end up being the greatest TE of all time, but as it stands, I'm totally disappointed. I just hope it was our OC and not a reflection on his talent. We desperatly need a complement and maybe replacement for VD.

As a side note, Carrier looks very promising.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
He might end up being the greatest TE of all time, but as it stands, I'm totally disappointed. I just hope it was our OC and not a reflection on his talent. We desperatly need a complement and maybe replacement for VD.

I'm excited to see McDonald getting some good coaching for a change and maybe be more involved in the offense and getting him the ball more frequently. He's like a monster truck out in the open field, would love to see him get more opportunities rather than just being the dedicated blocker all the time.

OC can be blamed for having him block, or not having him be targeted often. but vance's biggest issue is the ball hitting him in the hands and him dropping it. i would also add dropping every other pass thrown your way is not a good way to secure more targets. he has solid form in terms of catching, he just doesnt complete the process enough.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm excited to see McDonald getting some good coaching for a change and maybe be more involved in the offense and getting him the ball more frequently. He's like a monster truck out in the open field, would love to see him get more opportunities rather than just being the dedicated blocker all the time.

So true. He just barrels right over people. I hope he gets more opportunities this year and works on improving his hands.
Originally posted by crabman82:

OC can be blamed for having him block, or not having him be targeted often. but vance's biggest issue is the ball hitting him in the hands and him dropping it. i would also add dropping every other pass thrown your way is not a good way to secure more targets. he has solid form in terms of catching, he just doesnt complete the process enough.

Coaches won't call plays for you and the QB won't throw it to you if you have a case of the dropsies. Doesn't matter where you wre drafted, how fast you are, or how great of an athlete you are.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 17, 2015 at 6:11 PM ]

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Coaches won't call plays for you and the QB won't throw it to you if you have a case of the dropsies. Doesn't matter where you wre drafted, how fast you are, or how great of an athlete you are.

I hear you guys on that. However, if you're going to invest a 2nd round pick on a player, I think you have to give them every opportunity to succeed. That means forcing him the ball over and over until he absolutely proves he can't do it. Sometimes it seems like we give up on players to fast and hindge their whole future on 6 plays throughout the season. If you have the conviction to pick them in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd, you should have the conviction to force them to fail. Its not about entitlement, but trusting your scouting

And consistency has been a problem with him dating back to college..

I hear you guys on that. However, if you're going to invest a 2nd round pick on a player, I think you have to give them every opportunity to succeed. That means forcing him the ball over and over until he absolutely proves he can't do it. Sometimes it seems like we give up on players to fast and hindge their whole future on 6 plays throughout the season. If you have the conviction to pick them in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd, you should have the conviction to force them to fail. Its not about entitlement, but trusting your scouting

That would be easier if we didn't have other options all over the field. While we are force feeding Mcdonald, guys like Gore, Boldin, Crabs, Stevie, VD are going to be like WTF!

If Mcdonals was tearing up he practice field and making plays during the game, they would keep going to him. Eventually you have to move on. See AJ Jenkins.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 17, 2015 at 6:21 PM ]

That would be easier if we didn't have other options all over the field. While we are force feeding Mcdonald, guys like Gore, Boldin, Crabs, Stevie, VD are going to be like WTF!

If Mcdonals was tearing up he practice field and making plays during the game, they would keep going to him. Eventually you have to move on. See AJ Jenkins.

or lamichael james. i'm not writing off mcdonald just yet, but when we drafted him i read about iffy hands and some drops and from what we've seen that was pretty accurate.

or lamichael james. i'm not writing off mcdonald just yet, but when we drafted him i read about iffy hands and some drops and from what we've seen that was pretty accurate.

Yeah he still has a chance to be good, but he's in line behind a ton of talent.
Share 49ersWebzone