There are 282 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by sacniner:
Best blocking TE in football? I may be wrong with my initial statement, but that sounds like an exaggeration. I doubt you have enough time to study the blocking of every TE in the NFL. Come on breh

Hence the word "might" in "might be the best blocking TE in football.

I haven't actually seen a TE this year whose blocking was better than Vance's blocking. Maybe you have, but I'd like to hear who it is.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
there are a number of things wrong with your post.

He is fast for someone his size..he is not these 240 lbs "TEs" He is athletic as s**t.

and his hands were not his thing coming out of college.

and he has been blocking well.

Okay, his blocking has been well.

He's athletic as s**t relative to what? NFL TEs? Have you seen that in a game?

Lastly, his hands were his thing. He was a WR at Rice. He was supposed to create mismatches and he had good hands. What did you think was his thing?

he is probably the largest of the "Athletic" TEs that are in the league... he was 270 coming out of college.

ran a faster 40 time than Gronk.

and again, hands weren't his thing.

probably the largest of the athletic TEs coming out of college? I have no clue wtf that means and there is no factual reasoning behind that. Its an opinion based on no metric.

A lot of guys run fast 40 times. A lot of guys ran faster 40s then Jerry Rice. Once you start playing who gives a s**t if you can't capitalize with that speed in a game. Have you seen Vance use his speed to do anything in a game? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I think you are using the hands isn't his thing off of one draft analysis you found online. His hands were praised out of college. Again, what did you think his thing was? Being fast at his weight?

The reason I'm even criticizing Vance is because he is a 2nd round pick. I hope he does well. He has been disappointing so far. Its okay to admit that.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Best blocking TE in football? I may be wrong with my initial statement, but that sounds like an exaggeration. I doubt you have enough time to study the blocking of every TE in the NFL. Come on breh

Hence the word "might" in "might be the best blocking TE in football.

I haven't actually seen a TE this year whose blocking was better than Vance's blocking. Maybe you have, but I'd like to hear who it is.

I don't study TE block in depth so idk. That's why my initial statement is was that I wasn't sure about his blocking. I believe you that he has blocked well. Unless we are professionals that are paid to watch film of TEs blocking, its probably hard to find the best blocking TE in football. Hell, how many fans watch Vance block every play he is in.

I'm happy the kid is blocking well.
I don't study TE block in depth so idk. That's why my initial statement is was that I wasn't sure about his blocking. I believe you that he has blocked well. Unless we are professionals that are paid to watch film of TEs blocking, its probably hard to find the best blocking TE in football. Hell, how many fans watch Vance block every play he is in.

I'm happy the kid is blocking well.

Let me put it this way: I haven't seen a Niner TE block this well since Greg Clark, and I don't remember the last time I saw a TE block as well as Vance has.

...Maybe Gronk now that I think about it.

...Nand now I"m sure someone will post a gif of Vance's worst block.
there are a number of things wrong with your post.

He is fast for someone his size..he is not these 240 lbs "TEs" He is athletic as s**t.

and his hands were not his thing coming out of college.

and he has been blocking well.

Okay, his blocking has been well.

He's athletic as s**t relative to what? NFL TEs? Have you seen that in a game?

Lastly, his hands were his thing. He was a WR at Rice. He was supposed to create mismatches and he had good hands. What did you think was his thing?

he is probably the largest of the "Athletic" TEs that are in the league... he was 270 coming out of college.

ran a faster 40 time than Gronk.

and again, hands weren't his thing.

probably the largest of the athletic TEs coming out of college? I have no clue wtf that means and there is no factual reasoning behind that. Its an opinion based on no metric.

A lot of guys run fast 40 times. A lot of guys ran faster 40s then Jerry Rice. Once you start playing who gives a s**t if you can't capitalize with that speed in a game. Have you seen Vance use his speed to do anything in a game? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

I think you are using the hands isn't his thing off of one draft analysis you found online. His hands were praised out of college. Again, what did you think his thing was? Being fast at his weight?

The reason I'm even criticizing Vance is because he is a 2nd round pick. I hope he does well. He has been disappointing so far. Its okay to admit that.

probably the largest of the athletic type of TEs in this league....and then I stated his weight coming out of college.

he has speed..we just don't use it... he was able to get deep down field, but Kuechly made a great play...if Kap dropped it alittle further, it might have helped.

as far as him being "praised" for his hands coming out of college..lol.. man just google "Vance McDonald Hands" and you will come across a few articles talking about his hands not being his best asset.

he got praised for what he could do with the ball in his hands...but catching wasn't it.
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Dude chilll. What Boldin said was "Its a Run first Team" and EERBODY HAS TO BLOCK. The touches are going to come but TEAM IS FIRST

That's why I said IF he said that. But yeah my opinion still stands about Boldin. Maybe a little harsh but it's the truth. He has been a great player on the field and even with his work ethic just not sure why he has to jaw like that. Maybe he is like Steve Smith and it makes him play better but still have to control yourself cant cost your team 15 yards.

And to the posters above yeah Vance's knock was his drops. He was great all around but had a drop problem. Just have to hope we start feeding him some easy catches to get his confidence up. We need to get him a TD too, might turn things around for him.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 14, 2014 at 12:47 AM ]
I like Vance. He had a tough night, but that's ok. He's still young n that's going to happen.

It would be great if they had someone other than Mangini coaching TE's. And our receivers coaching has been pretty puss poor imo that entire Harbaugh tenure.

Imagine if we had someone like Brent Jones showing him the ropes. I think we would see him flourish.

I think he'ok be a good player for us for a long time but there will be bumps in the road along the way.
Dude has no place to be yelling at vernon like that, especially after fumbling the ball earlier in the game. He probably would have dropped the pass anyway. Carrier needs to be in there, not vance.
He finally gets the ball, then fumbles it. Bad night for our te's.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xela510:
Dude has no place to be yelling at vernon like that, especially after fumbling the ball earlier in the game. He probably would have dropped the pass anyway. Carrier needs to be in there, not vance.

I see it differently. I like to see him get feisty like that, it means he cares, still has passion. It was his TD that Vernon Screwed up it doesn't matter that he's a vet or pro bowler when you make a boneheaded play you deserve to get called out.

Originally posted by jcs:

I see it differently. I like to see him get feisty like that, it means he cares, still has passion. It was his TD that Vernon Screwed up it doesn't matter that he's a vet or pro bowler when you make a boneheaded play you deserve to get called out.

Have no problem with him calling VD out. Guys have to stay focused and aware. Game could have been over earlier
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by jcs:

Have no problem with him calling VD out. Guys have to stay focused and aware. Game could have been over earlier

Yup. I actually have a bit more hope for McDonald after this game.
Looks like jane plays like jane.
[ Edited by CityKing415 on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:09 AM ]
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i sure enjoy the weekly zack ertz highlights...
I miss Delanie's hands.
Share 49ersWebzone