LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 417 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by jreff22:
just please get his hands fixed.....I cant stand guys not holding onto the ball

Especially considering we have a guy who dislocated Moss' finger.
I'm trying to stay optimistic about this pick. He reminds me a little of the other TE that Indy draft last year. The one that totally out performed Fleener, even though he was drafted way later, and wasn't a notable college player.

But I still can't get over us taking this guy over Keenan Allen. We had a chance to really upgrade at WR and I think we squandered it. Would have preferred that we take Allen with the McDonald pick, and then someone like Toilolo later on.

Hopefully Vance proves me wrong...
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I'm trying to stay optimistic about this pick. He reminds me a little of the other TE that Indy draft last year. The one that totally out performed Fleener, even though he was drafted way later, and wasn't a notable college player.

But I still can't get over us taking this guy over Keenan Allen. We had a chance to really upgrade at WR and I think we squandered it. Would have preferred that we take Allen with the McDonald pick, and then someone like Toilolo later on.

Dwayne Allen is the guy you're thinking of.

While I wouldn't have been mad at us drafting a Hunter or Allen to boost our WR core, I think TE was a bigger need than WR this year.

I feel like what Delanie did for our offense is a bit undervalued. We used 2 TE sets much more than we did 3 or 4 WR sets. Vance will let us continue using creative formations to exploit mismatches in defenses and also adds another big body option in the red zone.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

LOL....I hope you're not talking about Dwayne Allen out of Clemson who was the consensus best TE in college football. For a long time Allen was expected to be the 1st TE off the board but he ended up falling with the Colts as beneficiaries. You're talking about two entirely different situations here.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22131867/colts-te-dwayne-allen-cant-stand-the-draft-because-it-cost-him-millions
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wanted a TE who was 6'6" or taller but whatev

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Here's the other thing about McDonald that I love. He's extremely difficult to bring down in the open field, a great guy for gaining yards after the catch, which seems to be the way the 49ers are going with Crabtree and Boldin already on the roster. He's going to be a load for a single safety to try and take down while he's on the move, hell he's bigger than most linebackers that would be covering him.

He reminds me a lot of Eric Johnson. Although Johnson had a slow forty.. Some similarities..
Originally posted by Afrikan:
How can you say that is way too light when Walker weighed 242 when he was with us, and was 6'0. He was a mismatch because he moved like a WR when going out for routes, very agile. That is how Reed is, looks like a WR. From McDonald's highlights, he runs like a big TE that can move. I don't think he'll be the threat like how Walker was for us, or Aaron Hernandez is for the Pats. He will be a different type of threat....like Owen Daniels, Dennis Pitta, Kyle Rudolph.

some keep saying that Vance runs a 4.6...but its actually 4.69..which is basically a 4.7. Now the good thing is McDonald is f**kin huge, and I expect the team to make him lose alittle weight..so I'm sure he will be faster come Preseason.

I'll start a thread when I get a chance, but I think Boldin will be used in certain situations that we used Walker.

Finally some one gets it. D.walk had very light feet hell at times looked like a dancer not a TE. This guy is no where near that "kind" of athlete. He is a freak as far as measurable 's go but I really think the zone has combine fever for a guy who was in the spread and some pistol last year and put up average numbers against sub par competition. His measurable 's actually play against him here. Ever play a game of football against kids? Even a subpar giant with some speed is going to bowl over the kiddos. Look its the draft there is alot of kool-aid getting passed out I get it. But this guy is a project, and even if OTC is right and he has huge upside it don't mean right now he is the 2nd TE. I've seen alot of gym rats do well in college and putter in the pro's my personal opinion is Vance has a chance to be "that guy."

The amount of love for a guy who did almost nothing against good competition is amazing to me.
Originally posted by bdub2588:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i wanted a TE who was 6'6" or taller but whatev

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Here's the other thing about McDonald that I love. He's extremely difficult to bring down in the open field, a great guy for gaining yards after the catch, which seems to be the way the 49ers are going with Crabtree and Boldin already on the roster. He's going to be a load for a single safety to try and take down while he's on the move, hell he's bigger than most linebackers that would be covering him.

He reminds me a lot of Eric Johnson. Although Johnson had a slow forty.. Some similarities..

watch the video posted on the front page of the webzone, his combing workout video from nfl.com...horrible hands..
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SealTeam6:
Son of Tim McDonald. Former 49er. Watch your tongue

Can't say I'm surprised though.
I've been thinking a lot about this pick. In the past, Vernon was the in-line TE while Delanie was the "move" TE. McDonald is a BIG dude. Maybe we flip the script and have him be the in-line TE, and have Vernon be the "move" TE to better take advantage of his speed and athleticism.
Baalke picked a Walker 2.0 a guy who can is like a swiss army knife. Yet it seems that McDonald has better hands than Delanie.
He' ll be used in the Q formation as an H back, in the Jumbo, in the slot, creating headaches for defenders.

How are you going to cover him and Vernon with 5'9" -6' foot DBs??

Most important to me, I hope this guy is smarter than Walker when it comes to knowing where to line up on the field! It seemed that many times we had to call a timeout to avoid a delay of game or got a delay of game penalty because Kap or Smith were trying to get Walker in the right spot in the formation. Walker made lining up an adventure way too much!
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Most important to me, I hope this guy is smarter than Walker when it comes to knowing where to line up on the field! It seemed that many times we had to call a timeout to avoid a delay of game or got a delay of game penalty because Kap or Smith were trying to get Walker in the right spot in the formation. Walker made lining up an adventure way too much!

I saw that a couple of times from walker but it wasnt every game :P
Originally posted by xtm059:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:

I saw that a couple of times from walker but it wasnt every game :P

I agree it wasn't every game... It just seemed that way!
Foot
Originally posted by Need4Speed:
Finally some one gets it. D.walk had very light feet hell at times looked like a dancer not a TE. This guy is no where near that "kind" of athlete. He is a freak as far as measurable 's go but I really think the zone has combine fever for a guy who was in the spread and some pistol last year and put up average numbers against sub par competition. His measurable 's actually play against him here. Ever play a game of football against kids? Even a subpar giant with some speed is going to bowl over the kiddos. Look its the draft there is alot of kool-aid getting passed out I get it. But this guy is a project, and even if OTC is right and he has huge upside it don't mean right now he is the 2nd TE. I've seen alot of gym rats do well in college and putter in the pro's my personal opinion is Vance has a chance to be "that guy."

The amount of love for a guy who did almost nothing against good competition is amazing to me.
Football against kids as apposed to the men Kaep many of our starters played against while in college?
Originally posted by Hacksaw:
Foot
Originally posted by Need4Speed:

Football against kids as apposed to the men Kaep many of our starters played against while in college?

His competition was sub-par compared to Kaep's by far. You must not actually follow college football Kap beat number 24 at the time Cal and number 3 Boise State posting one of the most complete statistical seasons by a QB that decade.. Take a look at this kids college career who did he ever play and perform well against? He posted huge numbers against UTEP yes sorry my bad UTEP is the a huge nfl factory right? When he faced decent teams his performance was subpar and was the 4th option on a bad team.
Share 49ersWebzone