LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Jiks
I've been saying all off season how we need Vance McDonald to step up. Reports stemming back from OTA's have been nothing but great about him. I've read about people wanting more screen passes, and while I do agree, I also think a that a guy who could take those "dump off passes" and get short yards would be much more beneficial. Maybe be a "safety valve" is a better way to put it, but you get the point. Option 1 for the QB, not there; option two and three not there; now you have a guy like McDonald who should be able to work his way through the middle of the field and find the soft spots. I also think he's more than capable of going vertical on occasion as well.
Once this guy gets complete, he's dangerous, he can knock half of Seattle's backfield around like bowling balls in traffic. That jump catch he made was insane, you could tell nobody on SD wanted any of that despite trying to stop him.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
People talk about Delaine Walker like he was a God. Uggh I'm done.

lol right.

Delanie Walker was no god but he when paired with VD was a mismatch. We had 2 sub 4.4 TEs that were excellent blockers that could line up all over the field and stretch the field at 245 lbs each. You couldn't tell whether a run was on or a pass and they were very hard to match up with when we could run and pass just as well with both of them on the field at all times. We sorely missed Delanie last season as Crab got hurt and all we had was Q and VD. Good thing Bruce Miller stopped up for us and Gore was able to do the heavy lifting early on behind our OL but we missed both Delanie and Moss and of course Crab. Now we are even better because of the obvious weapons we have assembled now

lol right.

He had his ups.

But I'll never forget all the drops and fumbles...

the game in St. Louis...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

lol right.

He had his ups.

But I'll never forget all the drops and fumbles...

the game in St. Louis...

I agree, he was just never consistent. The only reason D-Walk is remembered so positively is due to the WR drought last season, and that Kap probably could have used him (going into his second year as a starter) due to McDonald not being 'there' yet. Some people actually think not having Walker cost us the Championship, but in reality, losing Miller on those 3rd downs was what could have helped most. It is what it is though, and he's a Titan, so f**k him.

I'll never forget that New Orleans game in 2010. We were like in the redzone more times in that game than Brees, yet on every other f**king play it was a D-Walk drop/fumble/gator deflection that killed every drive.

I think Swayze McDonald is gonna have an ass-kicking season.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I agree, he was just never consistent. The only reason D-Walk is remembered so positively is due to the WR drought last season, and that Kap probably could have used him (going into his second year as a starter) due to McDonald not being 'there' yet. Some people actually think not having Walker cost us the Championship, but in reality, losing Miller on those 3rd downs was what could have helped most. It is what it is though, and he's a Titan, so f**k him.

I'll never forget that New Orleans game in 2010. We were like in the redzone more times in that game than Brees, yet on every other f**king play it was a D-Walk drop/fumble/gator deflection that killed every drive.

As a second rd pick and an athlete of the dimensions he is ... He should be significantly better than Delanie in time
Delanie was the ultimate boom or bust player. If its not a fumble, its a big play and vice versa. Vance on the other hand looks more like a safer option and he has looked fine this pre season. Wasn't too excited when we drafted him but he has been solid.
The one area that has impressed me with "stone hands" McDonald are the hits he's taking a popping right back up. I hope he becomes a threat in the passing game because he just looks like is ready to run some people over once he gets the ball.
[ Edited by mutant-man49 on Aug 26, 2014 at 1:19 AM ]
Took Delanie a while to become the player he was.

Vance is coming along well.

This I like.

Originally posted by swayze:

This I like.

The moment you enter this motherf**king thread, you enter Vance McDonald's Roadhouse.

I have such high hopes for Vance this year. I think you could be a great Not just Good TE. This is year 2 and I think hes gonna catch at least 40 balls.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I honestly didn't think he had in it him. I still think he has a ways to go to get to Delanie Walker importance in this offense (if Bruce hasn't already filled it and that's what Harbaugh and co. intend to do with Vance.)

So petulant.

The way I understood it was that Walker was pivotal to Harbaugh/Romans offense because he help disguised formations and run/pass, not necessarily because of the quality of play.
I honestly didn't think he had in it him. I still think he has a ways to go to get to Delanie Walker importance in this offense (if Bruce hasn't already filled it and that's what Harbaugh and co. intend to do with Vance.)

So petulant.

The way I understood it was that Walker was pivotal to Harbaugh/Romans offense because he help disguised formations and run/pass, not necessarily because of the quality of play.
he made enough plays that made the those defense account for him
Share 49ersWebzone