LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
He ready

no doubt bout it
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
McDrop will be back. they always come back.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
McDrop will be back. they always come back.

Originally posted by thl408:
Him "breaking out" this season can really make the 1rb/2te/2wr grouping an effective set. This keeps defenses in base and has 3 "WRs" in Boldin, Crabs, VD, but it can also run the ball with VD and Vance being good blockers.

In other words, they can run the ball well with 7 big blockers (OL + 2TEs), but Vance is a bigger downfield threat than Miller.

This.

The signing of Stevie was a great addition, but I think Vance will have a larger overall impact stat and scheme wise given another year in the system. Go BigMac!
Love the way he's been playing! His blocking is 10x better too
Vance is who I said and thought he was. His downfall last year was drops and I think that led to him not getting as much playing time, doing more blocking and less targets. We also didn't do any favors for him by helping him catch easy short passes instead of just sending him long. Like I said he will be a great target if he improves his hands (which seems he has). He will be great at finding a hole and sitting down in the zone and getting first downs. He can get yards after the catch as well. He's not a pretty player like Vernon but guys like Witten (probably hof or borderline) did well just finding an open spot. He's pretty athletic too though so it's not like he's just a fat slow white TE. Often guys like him will be forgotten in coverage especially when you have all the other weapons we have.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Aug 25, 2014 at 12:38 AM ]
One thing I REALLY like about Vance is that he turns that ball upfield for immediately on the catch. Bruce Miller and Crabtree are also very good at doing this. When Vance catches that ball with even a small gap from the defender, he gets 2 yards upfield right away. Very good balance and footwork to do this. Great agility.
But...but...but I thought he was a bust?
Originally posted by NCommand:
That was so two weeks ago.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by NCommand:
That was so two weeks ago.

Ohhhhh, my bad!

• TyCore
  • Veteran
The difference this year will be he'll have more opportunities to grab for the ball.

Last year we saw moments of brilliance overshadowed by extremely pivotal plays that were balancing on the line between hero and abject failure.

Really not fair he was put in that situation, but there it was.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
He needs to show some stridet his year, even only after his 2nd year, we need to see what the future lies on him.. We have to start planning on Vernon, and the younger Carrier..

If Vance does not make that convincing stride this year, then I say we need to start developing someone who can be a solid pass catcher and keep MickeyD as a blocker since he's already awesome at that..
Originally posted by Joecool:
One thing I REALLY like about Vance is that he turns that ball upfield for immediately on the catch. Bruce Miller and Crabtree are also very good at doing this. When Vance catches that ball with even a small gap from the defender, he gets 2 yards upfield right away. Very good balance and footwork to do this. Great agility.

Especially for someone so big. The guy is huge. I think he's already shown this preseason that he's going to be a major factor for the team.
I love watching this guy when he makes a catch in the open field and starts rumbling downfield. He looks like a wrecking ball.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He looked a lot better than last year but it's just one game. He always could block. Now he can run a route and catch. He always had pretty good explosion IMO for a 6'4" 270 lb. guy. You got to keep in mind he is 270 lbs. For his size IMO he moves very well. I hope he can catch more consistently.

It's the other way around. He could always run a route, he came out of a system where he acted primarily as a wide receiver. Its a testament to his work ethic and the coaching staff that people are now like "well, at least we know he can block." That was the major point of emphasis last season and what they were working on with him primarily, now they know that he can block and he can receive. He's far more the complete package than the slot receiver they drafted out of Rice in the 2nd round.
Share 49ersWebzone