LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Dang ... I forget how big this guy really is If he becomes more consistent as a receiver, and they can design plays that get him the ball in space ... yikes.

He's going to literally, hurt someone!

Agree, really looking forward to a big season from him.

He has size and speed to be a standout TE.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Jul 15, 2014 at 4:09 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by DeUh:
Recent interview.

Thanks for that. Only saw two catches, but I like that he is a hands catcher when needed. With that arm span, that's a nice catch radius. I hope he takes advantage of the VD holdout and forces the coaches to give him some looks. Eventually, he will be the 49ers #1 TE so it's important he builds a good rapport with Kap. I'm pretty sure that was what the team envisioned when they drafted him. VD isn't going to run a 4.3 forever.
Originally posted by thl408:
Recent interview.

Thanks for that. Only saw two catches, but I like that he is a hands catcher when needed. With that arm span, that's a nice catch radius. I hope he takes advantage of the VD holdout and forces the coaches to give him some looks. Eventually, he will be the 49ers #1 TE so it's important he builds a good rapport with Kap. I'm pretty sure that was what the team envisioned when they drafted him. VD isn't going to run a 4.3 forever.

He has better hands and decisiveness. Always catches with his hands, then immediately turns up field ..no hesitation..and if you're in his way he going to go through you if there's no way around you
Vance is gonna do awesome this year! These extra reps with the 1st team in camp are going to be very beneficial.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Thl408, the Vance 20+ yard catch play, those redskin linebackers really bit on the play fake.

The three LB's (one is actually the SS, IIRC) actually got to their drops pretty quickly. The only one who was slow was actually dropping to the side away from Vance. Kerrigan got toasted by Vance, but he lined head up on him and had him as an assignment the whole way, he just completely failed on his re-route. This Play did a good job of attacking a poorly executed Cover 3 from a Man-1 pre-snap read, IMO.
The LB heads up on Vance was expecting a down block from vance and was bracing for it, and vance released to the outside and was gone by the time the LB realized it was a pass. He missed his opportunity to jam vance at the LOS because of the excellently executed play fake.

I've never heard of a LB that's lined head-up on a TE getting coached NOT to jam him on a run play. Giving him a free release to the 2nd level is disastrous to the run scheme. I think he'd have been screwed up, regardless of run/pass. That was my point... that and the fact that Kerrigan has no place running downfield with an athletic TE, lol.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
He has better hands and decisiveness. Always catches with his hands, then immediately turns up field ..no hesitation..and if you're in his way he going to go through you if there's no way around you

Yeah, I actually think he has great hands and inconsistent concentration. IMO, that's easier to fix than stone hands. He should be fine. He's always open three feet above his head, and that's something new to the TE position for us.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Yeah, I actually think he has great hands and inconsistent concentration. IMO, that's easier to fix than stone hands. He should be fine. He's always open three feet above his head, and that's something new to the TE position for us.

I actually wish the 2nd year players could report today also. I basically look at the classes of 2013 and 2014 with the exception of Eric Reid as all rookies.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I actually wish the 2nd year players could report today also. I basically look at the classes of 2013 and 2014 with the exception of Eric Reid as all rookies.

this.
I think Vernon Davis not showing up to OTA's and if he doesn't show up to camp, this could benefit Vance McDonald greatly. If Vance develops better hands, he could be a terror in the passing game, especially bull dozing over said DBs, lol. But I do hope VD makes it back to pair with VM. We are still better with VD in the lineup.

AND like he said in his interview, he didn't have that many opportunities to get used to CK's fast ball. Now though, he's getting his timing/chemistry down with him (thanks VD) and so this off season for him has been much smoother.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 17, 2014 at 9:06 AM ]

AND like he said in his interview, he didn't have that many opportunities to get used to CK's fast ball. Now though, he's getting his timing/chemistry down with him (thanks VD) and so this off season for him has been much smoother.

Totally agree. Additionally, he said he was digesting so much new information that he was thinking and playing at the same time. Football is not a game for thinking. All of the thinking should be done before the snap. The rest should be read/react. His additional reps should allow him to play fast, as it is impossible to play fast while thinking through the play.

Totally agree. Additionally, he said he was digesting so much new information that he was thinking and playing at the same time. Football is not a game for thinking. All of the thinking should be done before the snap. The rest should be read/react. His additional reps should allow him to play fast, as it is impossible to play fast while thinking through the play.

Very very true! Obviously, the focus was on run blocking last year and ALL of the formations. Blocking included blocking out in space and downfield. That said, when they designed two passing plays for him (Seattle x2) he more than excelled so that should be encouraging for fans and should be a sign of how he can play when he's included in the passing game and knows his role pre snap (i.e. he doesn't have to think and can just "play").
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Vance refrigeration has a chance to be as good and solid as brent jones

Whoa Nellie, Brent was a world class reciever! Way more than solid.

But Vance definitely can be a dominant player if he continues to improve. He has the size and strength and some speed. If those hands soften and get magnetized to the ball, he can be one of our most productive TE's since Brent.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Vance refrigeration has a chance to be as good and solid as brent jones

Whoa Nellie, Brent was a world class reciever! Way more than solid.

But Vance definitely can be a dominant player if he continues to improve. He has the size and strength and some speed. If those hands soften and get magnetized to the ball, he can be one of our most productive TE's since Brent.

Woah, Brent Jones! That's a blast from the past! That guy was always where he was supposed to be, and he always did his job. He was the picture of consistent performance and production. That said, EVERY single time that guy went down, I thought he was injured. He was just so awkward when he jumped or got tackled his legs seemed to be going in a different direction than the rest of his body.
Share 49ersWebzone