LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
wow, you make a living from comparing people based upon a small body of work. first off you compare ck to gabbert from the stupid combine,, and now here we go again. not exactly what your point is and if i would ask you to explain it, it would just make my head hurt

Things a little slow out in Iowa? The point is "McDonald IS AHEAD AT SAME POINT IN THEIR CAREERS.". Period. Just like it says in the post. If that explanation hurts your head, blame your ancestors, I had nothing to do with it.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
wow, you make a living from comparing people based upon a small body of work. first off you compare ck to gabbert from the stupid combine,, and now here we go again. not exactly what your point is and if i would ask you to explain it, it would just make my head hurt

Things a little slow out in Iowa? The point is "McDonald IS AHEAD AT SAME POINT IN THEIR CAREERS.". Period. Just like it says in the post. If that explanation hurts your head, blame your ancestors, I had nothing to do with it.
we just tend to differ in the way we evaluate or gauge a player. i may live in iowa but i can see this as just another lame effort in your over valuating of a favorite player. the fact of the matter is, walker and vance are two different people and players and in my opinion, your comparison is not valuable
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
yes, it's VERY realistic. Except the fact that no one ever retires. I'm in year 6 of my franchise and Manning is now on the chargers and ray lewis is on the eagles.

This is realistic? Just curious, do you have a realistic job?

The key word there was "except".

If insulting others is your thing, the least you can do is learn to read better.

Just saying that is not realistic, which I obviously did read Reading books is one of my biggest hobbies, and actually makes my point. Isn't there better things to do with your time than video games? Different strokes I guess. I was not meaning to insult, just asking a question. Sounds like I might have hit a little close to home for you to jump in so defensively though.

Likewise, I'm one year away from my PhD so reading is unfortunately all I do nowadays lol

Speaking of which, I'm still not sure you're comprehending the exception in the OP's statement haha. All is well
Likewise, I'm one year away from my PhD so reading is unfortunately all I do nowadays lol

Speaking of which, I'm still not sure you're comprehending the exception in the OP's statement haha. All is well

The 'Except' statement make it not realistic. Like you said, no more needs to be said regarding this. It has had more legs than it deserves ... lol. BTW, if you are in your last year aren't you writing more than reading? My nephew just defended his dissertation about a month ago. Good luck, and hang in there.
[ Edited by Bluesbro on Jun 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Delanie Walker only had 2 catches his rookie season, so McDonald is well ahead of him at the same point of his career.

Walker and McDonald did play in different offensive schemes under different head coaches and different offensive coordinators.

Comparing their production in their first year might be interesting, but it would make more sense to compare their numbers after three years.

But, here are their production numbers from their first year.

Walker played in 7 games .in his first year
McDonald played in 15 games in his first year.

Walker was targeted 4 times in his first year.
McDonald was targeted 19 times in his first year.

Walker had 2 receptions for 30 yards.
McDonald had 8 receptions for 118 yards.

Walker had caught 50% of the passes thrown to him.
McDonald caught 42.1% of the passes thrown to him.

Walker had 0 drops in his first year.
McDonald had 3 drops.

Walker had a drop rate of 0% for both targets and catchable passes.

McDonald dropped 15.8 % of the passes thrown to him.
McDonald dropped 27.27% of the catchable passes thrown to him.

Walker averaged 15 yards per reception.
McDonald averaged 14.9 yards a reception.

[ Edited by buck on Jun 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:.

McDonald had 3 drops.

Don't worry, Walker made up for it with plenty of drops the rest of his 49er career
Originally posted by buck:
Delanie Walker only had 2 catches his rookie season, so McDonald is well ahead of him at the same point of his career.

Walker and McDonald did play in different offensive schemes under different head coaches and different offensive coordinators.

Comparing their production in their first year might be interesting, but it would make more sense to compare their numbers after three years.

But, here are their production numbers from their first year.

Walker played in 7 games .in his first year
McDonald played in 15 games in his first year.

Walker was targeted 4 times in his first year.
McDonald was targeted 19 times in his first year.

Walker had 2 receptions for 30 yards.
McDonald had 8 receptions for 118 yards.

Walker had caught 50% of the passes thrown to him.
McDonald caught 42.1% of the passes thrown to him.

McDonald had 3 drops.

Walker had a drop rate of 0% for both targets and catchable passes.

McDonald dropped 15.8 % of the passes thrown to him.
McDonald dropped 27.27% of the catchable passes thrown to him.

Walker averaged 15 yards per reception.
McDonald averaged 14.9 yards a reception.

Nice statistical comparison, it would be better with a larger sampling, and if Davis holds out we may get a larger statistical sampling, from Big Mac!
  • buck
  • Veteran

McDonald had 3 drops.

Don't worry, Walker made up for it with plenty of drops the rest of his 49er career

I am not worried.

As Walker is no longer a 49er, I would not mind seeing his drop rate go up and his overall production go down.

The 'Except' statement make it not realistic. Like you said, no more needs to be said regarding this. It has had more legs than it deserves ... lol. BTW, if you are in your last year aren't you writing more than reading? My nephew just defended his dissertation about a month ago. Good luck, and hang in there.

haha, yeah, this debate would be pointless if we moved it forward.

I'm ABD (all-but-dissertation) which, you're right, is based more on completing my research, but it's definitely still a good mix of reading current literature in addition to writing. Since my dissertation is qualitative it means endless reading/transcribing of interviews.

Mad respect to your nephew! This process sucks! haha

I'm ABD (all-but-dissertation) which, you're right, is based more on completing my research, but it's definitely still a good mix of reading current literature in addition to writing. Since my dissertation is qualitative it means endless reading/transcribing of interviews.

He defended successfully. Going to be a clinical psychologist ... just needs more intern hours at this point

He defended successfully. Going to be a clinical psychologist ... just needs more intern hours at this point

That's fantastic! Congrats to him! Now I see where your remark "hits to close to home" stems from. Very psychoanalytic of you! haha. Congrats to, fam!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
that was pretty bad when we as fans always had to fret about what the front office was doing in that era because we knew they had no plan for anything. thats pretty bad when we fans had to run around putting out fires created by that regime. at least now, with one or two exceptions like jenkins and that draft and the signing of clark f**king higgins huggins whoever the f**k he was two years ago when aldon and brooks both got hurt,,,, we can set back and enjoy the game knowing this regime has a plan, they follow it and it has brought us success now and into the future. most of us do not have to have the extra pressure on us of micromanaging every move that is being made nowadays

I saw what you did there!!

McDonald had 3 drops.

Seriously
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

McDonald had 3 drops.

Seriously

Didn't walker play ST/WR at first ?
  • thl408
Flashed some hands
Share 49ersWebzone