There are 222 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
I work with a guy that interned as a trainer at the IMG academy in Bradenton the year that Vance and Eric Reid were there. After the draft he had nothing but praise for the both of them. He said Vance's initial burst was incredible and that he was the most physically gifted TE in the draft. He couldn't figure out why he seemed to be overlooked. You can see what he was talking about when you get the ball in Vance hands, the problem is getting the ball in his hands.

At the very least he should be a top level blocking TE. He is built like a fullback and repped 31 times at the Combine. With 34 1/2" arms. . Plus he has terrific speed for a 270 pounder. He outperformed Zach Ertz in every test I think, and he weighed 20 pounds more at the time.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
He is built like a fullback

Are you sure about this?

Vance McDonald is 6-4 and weighs about 270 lbs.

He seems taller and heavier than a typical fullback.

Are there any fullbacks in the NFL that match him in height and/or weight?

Originally posted by buck:
Are you sure about this?

J.C. Copeland of the Cowboys is 6'2" and around 270. Most fullbacks don't weigh that much, around 250ish or so. Trey Millard pretty much has the prototypical FB body and he's about 6'2" and 250.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Are you sure about this?

J.C. Copeland of the Cowboys is 6'2" and around 270. Most fullbacks don't weigh that much, around 250ish or so. Trey Millard pretty much has the prototypical FB body and he's about 6'2" and 250.

Copeland is about the same.

I think the McDonald is built like a tight end.

[ Edited by buck on Jun 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM ]

The same as who?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

The same as who?

Sorry. That was not very clear.

Copeland is about the same size as McDonald.

[ Edited by buck on Jun 24, 2014 at 11:25 PM ]
Sorry. That was no very clear.

Copeland is about the same size as McDonald.

Oh, gotcha.

There's no question who's more mobile though if you've seen Copeland run with the football. Like watching a one legged T Rex chasing dinner.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
omg, this dude had 3 drops for me yesterday on Madden. One for a wide open TD.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WilliamDonovan:
I work with a guy that interned as a trainer at the IMG academy in Bradenton the year that Vance and Eric Reid were there. After the draft he had nothing but praise for the both of them. He said Vance's initial burst was incredible and that he was the most physically gifted TE in the draft. He couldn't figure out why he seemed to be overlooked. You can see what he was talking about when you get the ball in Vance hands, the problem is getting the ball in his hands.

Harbaugh compared him to iron mike who is in the hall of fame. That has got to be something. As for the drops, the biggest improvement a player makes is between his first and second full year playing - so in pre-season I'm expecting him to be much better than his 47% catch ratio of last year.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

lol
  • ethan
  • Veteran
I think McDonald will sneak up on a few teams this coming season. He is a lot faster than he looks, and if Vern Davis isn't in the game opponents will stop worrying about a seam rounte. Vance can burn them.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
OMG, I found out why mcdonald dropped all those passes in my madden franchise! he had the "drop's open passes" trait enabled! I had to spend some serious XP points to disable that. this fkr drops one more open pass, he's getting cut.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ethan:
I think McDonald will sneak up on a few teams this coming season. He is a lot faster than he looks, and if Vern Davis isn't in the game opponents will stop worrying about a seam rounte. Vance can burn them.
if you had your way,,, ck and vernon would be gone and gabbert to vance would be striking fear in the heart of the opposition
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
OMG, I found out why mcdonald dropped all those passes in my madden franchise! he had the "drop's open passes" trait enabled! I had to spend some serious XP points to disable that. this fkr drops one more open pass, he's getting cut.

he dropping passed on madden too?
Share 49ersWebzone