LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 313 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
so if they are not clear and don't watch..then they clearly can not be trusted with targets...the 27% is the true number

Did you ask them?

What did they tell you about batted passes?

What did they say about using the targets as a point of reference?

edit: Did they tell you that they did not watch?
[ Edited by buck on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
so if they are not clear and don't watch..then they clearly can not be trusted with targets...the 27% is the true number

Did you ask them?

What did they tell you about batted passes?

What did they say about using the targets as a point of reference?

edit: Did they tell you that they did not watch?
wow really, lame
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
SF Tight Ends in 2013

so do you think that production from vance is about normal considering he had davis in front of him? am i being to harsh on roman for not using him more(i can not f**king believe i just said that)

Davis's hands seem to be better than McDonald's, don't they.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I added a column for drop percentage of catchable balls to the table I posted earlier.

Here is the revised chart.

I added a column for drop percentage of catchable balls to the table I posted earlier.

yeah 27% is pretty bad. we can say kaep locks onto guys, vance is buried on the chart of options and so on, but its a tough sell for the qb when you drop over 1/4th of catchable balls tossed your way. i hope he turns it around and does it early, in TC, in preseason and the first few reg season games. otherwise the qb isnt going to go to him that much with all of the other options.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

yeah 27% is pretty bad. we can say kaep locks onto guys, vance is buried on the chart of options and so on, but its a tough sell for
the qb when you drop over 1/4th of catchable balls tossed your way. i hope he turns it around and does it early, in TC, in preseason and the first few reg season games. otherwise the qb isnt going to go to him that much with all of the other options.

Many college players have a hard time adjusting to the NFL in their first year.

We have to see how McDonald does in the coming year.

Hoping for the best.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM ]
Until (and if ever) he gets targeted on a regular basis, the numbers listed above are suspect. If you have a catch-able ball once out of every two games, I think you might be a bit rusty ... no? Lack of repetition can contribute to this as well. He may indeed have bad hands, but I think these numbers are two low to be a valid sample size.
Originally posted by crabman82:

yeah 27% is pretty bad. we can say kaep locks onto guys, vance is buried on the chart of options and so on, but its a tough sell for
the qb when you drop over 1/4th of catchable balls tossed your way. i hope he turns it around and does it early, in TC, in preseason and the first few reg season games. otherwise the qb isnt going to go to him that much with all of the other options.

Many college players have a hard time adjusting to the NFL in their first year.

We have to see how McDonald does in the coming year.

Hoping for the best.

me too. but i looked up every tight end who caught over 100 yards rec last year including rookies like ertz, willson, fauria, eifort, escobar etc and vance was the only once i saw catching under 50% of passes deemed to be targeted his way. i'd like to brush it off as being a rookie but its hard for me to do, he may just have inconsistent hands, hope it isnt the case.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Until (and if ever) he gets targeted on a regular basis, the numbers listed above are suspect. If you have a catch-able ball once out of every two games, I think you might be a bit rusty ... no? Lack of repetition can contribute to this as well. He may indeed have bad hands, but I think these numbers are two low to be a valid sample size.

you could very well be right, but when reading about him after being drafted you heard the sketchy hands mentioned, and to see it continue albeit in limited chances, its still concerning.
  • ethan
  • Veteran

Yeah, that is my take. Sample size is too small to derive any meaning from. McDonald is a smart guy, he'll figure it out.

• buck
  • Veteran

Good points.

It was his rookie year. I'll give him a break. Vernon was extremely inconsistent for a good 2-3 years.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
It was his rookie year. I'll give him a break. Vernon was extremely inconsistent for a good 2-3 years.

And had a pissy attitude.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
this dude BLOWS!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by mustangmele:

And had a pissy attitude.
well he had s**t for coaches so i do not blame anyone on the team during that time for being pissy. vernonexcuses
Share 49ersWebzone