There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Walsh trade Montana for Elway?

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Lol wut? I love Joe but in terms of pure talent and ability...Elway was legit. Elway with our squads over the years would have won more than 4. Not saying he's better than Joe but I think from a physical standpoint he was better.

That being said...I'll take joe in the last two minutes over anyone else. I just think Elway was on the wrong team. When he finally did get surrounded with talent he won a couple...in his mid to late 30s at that.

No, can't see that. The most important physical attribute of a quarterback is between the ears. Walsh would have had a heartattack with Elway running the WCO. Too many improvs and silly choices.

Once Elway got too old and beat up to improvise....he won Superbowls!!!! Not a coincidence. Elway in his prime played with one of the premier defensive units in the NFL...couldn't win it. That says something. Joe won super bowls with lunch bucket players on d and at various skill positions on O.

The power of correct decisions. There should be no hesitation regarding who anyone would want running their team.
Joe was great, but that is an exaggeration. In all four of his Super Bowl seasons the 49ers had highly ranked defenses. The only offense I would consider loaded with lunch bucket players was 1981 because of the running back by committee that had a low per carry average. Dwight Clark was a pro bowl receiver and Freddie Solomon was no slouch.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Just think with Elway we could have lost 4 superbowls instead of winning them. Ahhh the possibilities.

Lol wut? I love Joe but in terms of pure talent and ability...Elway was legit. Elway with our squads over the years would have won more than 4. Not saying he's better than Joe but I think from a physical standpoint he was better.

That being said...I'll take joe in the last two minutes over anyone else. I just think Elway was on the wrong team. When he finally did get surrounded with talent he won a couple...in his mid to late 30s at that.
BS that Elway would have won more.

In 5 superbowl appearances which all came through an inferior AFC conference Elway played absolutely HORRIBLE in every single one of them even the one against Greenbay that he actually won. Terrell Davis bailed his ass out of another embarrassing superbowl loss. His only good performance came against Atlanta who had a sub par pass defense so he could finally edge out a quality game.

I am not saying Elway wasn't one of the best QBs of all time because he certainly is. First ballot hall of famer and two time champion are some mighty credentials but I would take Joe any day of the week and not just the last 2 minutes either.

Whatever though I don't want to argue about this as I wont change your opinion and you wont change mine so let's agree to disagree I guess.
[ Edited by BayArea on Apr 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
Joe was great, but that is an exaggeration. In all four of his Super Bowl seasons the 49ers had highly ranked defenses. The only offense I would consider loaded with lunch bucket players was 1981 because of the running back by committee that had a low per carry average. Dwight Clark was a pro bowl receiver and Freddie Solomon was no slouch.

Well, no, I think that the gist of what I am saying holds true. The 9ers rarely had more than one or two physical impact players on the front 7, did they? Carter, Dean, Haley later...who am I forgetting? Reynolds had some spirit in the middle, Turner good tackler but small. No disrespect to others, but I am not thinking league leading impact there. The dbackfield had hofer's. But, I don't see the unit being purple people eaters although effective. They benefitted a lot from time of possession being lopsided due to joe running WCO.

Again, I like the O too with some skill players but I don't see physical domination there? On the oline, at rb....just don't. They were a system team run by Joe who made a lot of good choices that I just don't see Elway making, having the temperament to make.
Elway is one of the most overrated great QBs if you catch my meaning.

Physical talent was limitless. Space between the ears limited.