There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Coach H, Kap, and RG3...and the development of a new 49er Offense

I have watched Kaep ran for four seasons in Nevada. He has ALWAYS been a qb with smarts who knew how to stay health while running with the ball. Go watch his college video on YouTube and you'll see that he has used the side-line and his sliding skill very successfully since the beginning. What I'm saying is that he is a SMART runner and he doesn't make bonehead mistakes. The chance of getting hurt is always there in the NFL but Kaep has the experience to keep it at a minimum.
Originally posted by ayetee:
I have watched Kaep ran for four seasons in Nevada. He has ALWAYS been a qb with smarts who knew how to stay health while running with the ball. Go watch his college video on YouTube and you'll see that he has used the side-line and his sliding skill very successfully since the beginning. What I'm saying is that he is a SMART runner and he doesn't make bonehead mistakes. The chance of getting hurt is always there in the NFL but Kaep has the experience to keep it at a minimum.

What ayetee said. Also I don't see us doing a lot of designed QB runs or read-option plays. I think the bulk of Kaps rushing yards will come from him taking yards with his feet when they are not there to be made through the air.
Like I said at the beginning of last season, defense coordinators will just start hitting the QB regardless if he runs or not when they see read option. Fortunately for us we primarily run the Pistol more than the read option.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Like I said at the beginning of last season, defense coordinators will just start hitting the QB regardless if he runs or not when they see read option. Fortunately for us we primarily run the Pistol more than the read option.

I have felt the same way and would do the same thing if I were coaching defense. The thing is with the NFL supposedly protecting the QB, will they crack down on QB hits when it is obvious that the QB has handed off but the defender takes an unnecessary shot on the QB. I saw BAL tee off on Kaep a couple times just to say "Hey I am here, run if you dare". I understand they have to get their shots in if the QB presents himself as a running threat but when it is obvious that he isn't will they protect him even if he isn't Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning 1 and 2? I think not
RG3 is another Vick. He wont last long with all that running and his body shape cant take that much more of a pounding. Kap like Luck can take a hit here and there during a game, Kap has even 'laid on a hit' and got penalised for it when he threw the ball down and taunted the defender.
Well put, ace. Kap got chewed out on more than one occasion for "bringing it" to a CB who was going to tackle him. THAT is the kind of thing that ultimately leaves a team with no starting Qb. And Vick is like RG3. I would just hate to see Kap injured on a run someone else could have made. That said, he still is going to run on occasion, but the THREAT of him running is what makes him so dangerous...even if he is going to pass. Cutting down on his runs is, I believe, high on Coach H's list of things to get taken care of. Kap remains a danger to score on any run he makes. I just can't believe thta Coach H is going to put him in that situation. i wonder what the redskins fans are thinking about now. Fortunately kap has an arm to throw the ball thru a building, but he developed more touch as the season wore on. I expect him to be even better accuracy wise this yr and Anquan, crbs, vernon, kyle, frank, LMJ,Mario, (Maybe AJ), Hunter, will make for better targets overall this season.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Wubbie:
I doubt that we limit the running to avoid injury. If it helps us win games, then we'll continue to do it. But anyway... I DO think that we won't run as much, but for different reasons. Because defenses will key in so much on the threat of the run, we'll pass more. Also, Kaepernick's got a great arm and his command of the offense will be greater. He'll run less because he'll be so successful passing the ball.

Also, Kaepernick's very well-coached, I think. He knows not to take any big shots that he doesn't have to take.

I have to agree that his arm is going to make all the difference. And the scary part is he only played part of last season.
Just guessing, I have a feeling Coach H is going to make Kap more of a pocket passer, and when that breaks down a scrambler. He's got the arm to do anything, even showing off some touch passes late last yr. I don't think JH is going to have Kap involved in any where near the running game he did last yr, but I do think JH takes advantage of Kap's threat to run, which will hold the DEs more or less at the LOS in containment. If they start to just crash in, then I can see JH calling a run option and making the DEs reconsider busting in on the Qb. Kap is such a great runner, it is going to be hard for Coach H not to run him more ,but I bet JH figures out a way to take advantage of the run option without Kap running that much. Above all, Coach is going to do all he can to prevent a RG3 situation here. Redskins are screwed...and they gave up a bunch for that slot.