There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How did San Francisco lose the 49ers

Originally posted by Young2Rice:
although that is good revenue, it pales in comparison with NFL $$$

But they do play more games in a season; thus, the bars, restaurants, and tourist attractions will be full more often with the Warriors fans. I think SF may even profit more than the 49ers.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Yup. People are more interested in things like "love fest" or sitting in a park smoking weed playing bongo drums.

And a good part of the population are from other parts of the world. When ppl think SF, they don't think 49ers or giants. They think of the things you just mentioned plus culture and food.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Picture of hunter's point proposed plan. I think Gavin Newsome then mayor and Senator Dianne Finnestien (sp?) who use to be SF's mayor in the 80s were stubborn and not really willing to cooperate. I don't think they were big football fans to put it simple.

This is my recollection as well. The niners originally wanted SF to chip in and the city pols didn't go for this. Santa Clara was more willing to work with the team and won the day. Arrogance of leadership sums up most of SF's problems over the years.

This. SF didn't want to pitch in.

Now they can "pitch in" to deal with their deserted stadium.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
No, it's not going to be the San Jose 49ers any more than it isn't the Fort Worth Cowboys. My irony meter is on the blink, but I think some of you are kidding. I HOPE some of you are kidding.

I hope you're right but why not San Jose. SAN JOSE is a HUGE city with alot to offer? What makes you confident that the name will never change to san jose? (no disrespect intended; i just want your input)
Every team that has moved within the area has kept their original city name...i think thats why the trend continues
If anything the Warriors should have permanently stayed in San Jose and become the San Jose Warriors
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Picture of hunter's point proposed plan. I think Gavin Newsome then mayor and Senator Dianne Finnestien (sp?) who use to be SF's mayor in the 80s were stubborn and not really willing to cooperate. I don't think they were big football fans to put it simple.

This is my recollection as well. The niners originally wanted SF to chip in and the city pols didn't go for this. Santa Clara was more willing to work with the team and won the day. Arrogance of leadership sums up most of SF's problems over the years.

This. SF didn't want to pitch in.

Now they can "pitch in" to deal with their deserted stadium.

They're going to tear it down and build more homes over there. (that's what i've read)


Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
No, it's not going to be the San Jose 49ers any more than it isn't the Fort Worth Cowboys. My irony meter is on the blink, but I think some of you are kidding. I HOPE some of you are kidding.

I hope you're right but why not San Jose. SAN JOSE is a HUGE city with alot to offer? What makes you confident that the name will never change to san jose? (no disrespect intended; i just want your input)
Every team that has moved within the area has kept their original city name...i think thats why the trend continues

But were any cities that these teams moved to are as major and powerful as far as wealth than San Jose? It's not they're moving to San Mateo....
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
If anything the Warriors should have permanently stayed in San Jose and become the San Jose Warriors

and play at hp pavilion? That would be sick.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
No, it's not going to be the San Jose 49ers any more than it isn't the Fort Worth Cowboys. My irony meter is on the blink, but I think some of you are kidding. I HOPE some of you are kidding.

I hope you're right but why not San Jose. SAN JOSE is a HUGE city with alot to offer? What makes you confident that the name will never change to san jose? (no disrespect intended; i just want your input)

its just a matter of time before they change the name. Frisco (yah I said it) aint got no love the 49ers so whats the point of repping their name.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
although that is good revenue, it pales in comparison with NFL $$$

But they do play more games in a season; thus, the bars, restaurants, and tourist attractions will be full more often with the Warriors fans. I think SF may even profit more than the 49ers.

That's true.

But i still doubt NBA generates more money then the NFL going directly into SF's pockets, especially with the 49ers making deep playoff runs annually.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
If anything the Warriors should have permanently stayed in San Jose and become the San Jose Warriors

and play at hp pavilion? That would be sick.

Memorable moment at the Shark Tank

Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
If anything the Warriors should have permanently stayed in San Jose and become the San Jose Warriors

and play at hp pavilion? That would be sick.
they played there for a season already
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
That's true.

But i still doubt NBA generates more money then the NFL going directly into SF's pockets, especially with the 49ers making deep playoff runs annually.

I don't know, though. If the Warriors make a deep playoff run, then there's going to be more games played and more exposure on tv.

At candlestick, people jsut went home because there's nothing to do before and after the games. With the proposed new arena, it's going to be in smack dab in the embarcadero with a s**t load of things to do and see.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
No, it's not going to be the San Jose 49ers any more than it isn't the Fort Worth Cowboys. My irony meter is on the blink, but I think some of you are kidding. I HOPE some of you are kidding.

I hope you're right but why not San Jose. SAN JOSE is a HUGE city with alot to offer? What makes you confident that the name will never change to san jose? (no disrespect intended; i just want your input)
The 9ers were the first professional sports franchise to come to the SF Bay Area. I just think there is too much history there. I don't think the ownership would ever agree to a name change like that because they get a lot of revenue based on the San Francisco name. Yes, I agree San Jose is a big city and it's getting better all the time, but all Bay Area cities suffer from the same disadvantage. SF is a world-class destination. Nobody from other countries or even the rest of this country says I'm heading out to California to visit San Jose. They say I'm going to SF. The NFL definitely wants the SF name for prestige. Nothing against San Jose. I like the city.
  • mod
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,937
I'm glad they left SF... the city showed no appreciation for the team. The South Bay is where the niner love is all at anyways.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
That's true.

But i still doubt NBA generates more money then the NFL going directly into SF's pockets, especially with the 49ers making deep playoff runs annually.

I don't know, though. If the Warriors make a deep playoff run, then there's going to be more games played and more exposure on tv.

At candlestick, people jsut went home because there's nothing to do before and after the games. With the proposed new arena, it's going to be in smack dab in the embarcadero with a s**t load of things to do and see.

True.

I guess both of us are speculating unless we see some data.