There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

REPORT.... woodson wants to play for niners and is lowering demands

This is nice, but Woodson's value isn't as high as many seem to think it is. It is not just that he's old, it is that his presence in the lineup is taking a spot a young guy can be learning on the field. Let's not forget this year appears to be full of well-qualified safety prospects who you would want to start and grow into the position.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Except for Bill Walsh. Never cut a player that went on to play in a single NFL game afterwards.

He still acquired players that weren't any good. Just because cutting them wasn't a mistake doesn't mean acquiring them wasn't. Every staff does it - it's inevitable. No big deal.

I don't think he was serious. Walsh actually had a reputation for letting players go too early rather than too late.
I will also play for the 49ers and will lower my demands......
I had a dream we signed him, no joke
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by cciowa:
he is a decent back up in two positions plus he plays special teams. you can judge him in a rams uniform if you want but once they are in a niner uniform its a different ball game. if he is so "terrible", why did the coaches and front office, who we are always told to trust, sign him? I can not understand how some people still do not get it. the players this regime signs are signed for a reason. dahh is not going to be a hall of famer like charles will be but he was signed for a reason and i just happen to think you do not hate a player in a niner uniform untill they give you a reason. this whole charles thing is silly,. we will draft a hot shot rookie who will end up starting game one.

Wrll, first of all, every staff makes mistakes. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Not every guy they bring in is going to be any good.

Or have you forgotten Braylon Edwards already? How about Randy Moss? Or Brandon Jacobs? Or how about the epic contributions we got from last year's draft class? Should I go on?

It's pretty clear they want Craig Dahl for special teams, so I'm not faulting them for picking him up. The issue is with your statement. Something to the effect of us not needing Woodson because we have Dahl, which is an utterly ridiculous view. Dahl is next to worthless as a safety. His being here will have no effect on whether we sign Woodson or not. None whatsoever.

And just to be clear, I'd rather roll with a rookie, as you suggested we will do. However, that has nothing to do with what we're discussing. Having a guy who can play - but sucks at - two safety positions doesn't mean we won't (or shouldn't) bring in a guy who did a decent job at FS when healthy. The more logical argument was the last statement you made - we will roll with a hot shot rookie. That makes more sense.
i nver said dahl is the answer at safety,,, i have always said,, he can be a decent backup for both free and strong safety, which is something we do not have. I have said i think the answer is a rookie to start at safety and I am not scared of that at all. Some have said there may be a guy we already have on the roster who will step up and take the spot and that must be considered to. Now while it is a small chance based upon his body of work as a ram, there is a chance that dahl turns it around like walt harris did and takes the spot. i just think esp, if we draft two guys and mix them with what we already go, we will be fine there.... if we sign charles and i am wrong that is more than fine with me! I just do not think he has it anymore but thats just me and i thought david boston was our answer at wide out 6 years ago
Everybody wants to play for the 9ers these days. LOL.
Originally posted by cciowa:
i nver said dahl is the answer at safety,,, i have always said,, he can be a decent backup for both free and strong safety, which is something we do not have. I have said i think the answer is a rookie to start at safety and I am not scared of that at all. Some have said there may be a guy we already have on the roster who will step up and take the spot and that must be considered to. Now while it is a small chance based upon his body of work as a ram, there is a chance that dahl turns it around like walt harris did and takes the spot. i just think esp, if we draft two guys and mix them with what we already go, we will be fine there.... if we sign charles and i am wrong that is more than fine with me! I just do not think he has it anymore but thats just me and i thought david boston was our answer at wide out 6 years ago

I might believe that Trenton Robinson could get a few snaps as a developmental player at FS before I would play Dahl. Dahl does have plenty of NFL experience at the position though, but I would believe Trent has a higher ceiling even though he is short
Originally posted by Rascal:
Everybody wants to play for the 9ers these days. LOL.

Yes, Revis was damn near giddy on the Robinson Report
CC we all know what you mean. Bringing in a rookie FS to start will be just as adequate to start and roll throughout the season. But I just feel that bringing in a seasoned Vet will be at our best interest if we are to repeat as Contenders for the SuperBowl again this year. I mentioned it before that our window for having a Dominant Defense is closing and the Flacons and Ravens exploited that in the Playoffs and SuperBowl. We need to bring in talent at the FS position that will somewhat equal what Goldson could bring to the table or even just below that type of performance. Woodson could do that over a 2nd round or 3rd draft pick IMO, if thats how the draft plays out. Less of a transition for our Defensive Backfield to have to endure throughout the season. Just think, with Atlanta, Packers, Saints, Giants, and Seahawks as our main enemies. Losses in the Win/Loss column will be critical if we want any Homefield Advantage at seasons end.

Im going to repeat myself again. Our window for having a Dominating Defense is closing! So until any present or future players can go to the next level and shore up the FS position, Im fine with plugging in players (Woodson has been versed in Dom Capers 3-4 Defense the last few years) that still have alot left at a low cost.

Just my opinion.
if we sign him, we wont have room for our young S we will draft?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

sure there is. The roster will still be juggled around alot till the season starts. Thats why your witnessing alot of players being signed to or excepting pay cuts for low costs. Cus there will be names cut that we are familiar with.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bleed49ers4Life:
CC we all know what you mean. Bringing in a rookie FS to start will be just as adequate to start and roll throughout the season. But I just feel that bringing in a seasoned Vet will be at our best interest if we are to repeat as Contenders for the SuperBowl again this year. I mentioned it before that our window for having a Dominant Defense is closing and the Flacons and Ravens exploited that in the Playoffs and SuperBowl. We need to bring in talent at the FS position that will somewhat equal what Goldson could bring to the table or even just below that type of performance. Woodson could do that over a 2nd round or 3rd draft pick IMO, if thats how the draft plays out. Less of a transition for our Defensive Backfield to have to endure throughout the season. Just think, with Atlanta, Packers, Saints, Giants, and Seahawks as our main enemies. Losses in the Win/Loss column will be critical if we want any Homefield Advantage at seasons end.

Im going to repeat myself again. Our window for having a Dominating Defense is closing! So until any present or future players can go to the next level and shore up the FS position, Im fine with plugging in players (Woodson has been versed in Dom Capers 3-4 Defense the last few years) that still have alot left at a low cost.

Just my opinion.
good thoughts, thank you. the age and injury thing bothers me but what the hell. if the front office wants to take a chance for low cost thats ok. i kind of respectfully disagree with the window on our defense closing but i know why you said it with guys like justin getting long in the tooth. I have always thought and its a big if,,,,, if we can continue to draft well and make smart free agent moves we can have a pretty dominant defense for years. You know the ravens have been solid to dominate on defense for years and I think "if" we draft smart, stay away from career ending injuries to people like patrick and aldon and are smart free agency wise,, we could be the nfc version of the ravens for years.. I know there are lots of ifs there
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i think we will draft two safetys and if we sign charles it will be more than fun to see how it works,, sure a couple guys will lose their jobs but that is what quality in squad competition is all about..
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by elguapo:
I guess people are forgetting Woodson is very good against the run and is also very good at covering in the slot........te's and slot Wrs. Even last year....didn't he sack Alex smith and cover Vernon Davis pretty well. Those are two things most safeties cannot do very well. Woodson, even at his age is still good at covering, blitzing and tackling. Some people must be focusing on his age as opposed to film. He should start for the niners and will probably perform better than most if not all rookies in the draft for at least 1 year. Nuff said

wow you make a good point and we usually struggle against teams with good TE's.

We struggle against almost every te we go against.....almost every year since we had Peterson. This is a fact. Woodson is very very good at covering tes and would be an upgrade over whitner if he has the coverage assignments on tes and might be almost as good or better in the slot than Rogers. So PLEASE PLEASE think of Woodson as an UPGRADE over all of our safeties, because he IS.....Dahl was the guy that our whole offense picked on whenever we played the rams, go look at the film. Vd handled him and he was almost always out of position on defense and missed tackles consistently.

Please trust me on this one, Woodson is still a good player in the slot and covering tes and tackling and blitzing. To me, that is a good player that would help a,most any team besides the very few that have 2 great safeties.

waive tramine brock, then draft a S

woodson at 50 years old >>.>> tramaine brock

Only problem with signing woodson, nnamdi etc is they wont play on special teams. We will cut guts that play special teams to make room for them (if they make the team)