LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Anthony Davis signs five-year contract extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Haha
Originally posted by Timdiz:
Originally posted by Haha:
Waste of money. He sucks as a run blocker. Way to go Baalke you dummy.
Dear god, I hope your being sarcastic because even for a troll that's a stupid thing to say. The least you could do is call him a terrible pass blocker because that's what he's struggled in recent years. As a run blocker? he's one, if not the best at it at his position.

Thats why Gore and Hunter average 3.7 and 3.3 ypc running right. Watch a game.
  • Haha
Dear god, I hope your being sarcastic because even for a troll that's a stupid thing to say. The least you could do is call him a terrible pass blocker because that's what he's struggled in recent years. As a run blocker? he's one, if not the best at it at his position.

[ Edited by Haha on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM ]

Its a troll ignore all the dumbass says
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan1984:
almost every where i read about it this is a great signing everywhere except at Walter football (who I usually agree with for the most part he said:

49ers extend OT Anthony Davis (5 years, $37.3M; $17M guaranteed): B- Grade
Anthony Davis is coming off a stellar third season in the NFL. He had his ups and downs in his first two years, but he improved his play greatly in 2012, earning the distinction of being one of the top-five highest-paid right tackles in the league.

I recognize how talented Davis is, so keep that in mind when I say that I'm not a big fan of this contract for two reasons. First, with Andre Smith, Tyson Clabo and Eric Winston just sitting out there on the market as of this writing, it's more apparent than ever that the NFL doesn't view the right tackle position very highly (which is why the Jaguars and Raiders, and probably the Eagles, will pass on Eric Fisher in the 2013 NFL Draft). Paying this kind of money to a right tackle seems unnecessary. And second, Davis had work-ethic questions coming out of Rutgers. He hasn't shown any signs of that in the NFL, but will all of this guaranteed money get into his head? Probably not, but it definitely is a possibility.

Interesting thought what do you guys think about his analysis?

Walter is usually pretty good but when he called Anthony Davis terrible for a year and a half because of the one Baltimore game People started giving him a bunch of grief because Davis started to play a lot better but he stood by his opinion just for spite.

Thats why Gore and Hunter average 3.7 and 3.3 ypc running right. Watch a game.

This sounds like seattle fan regurgitation.

Because watching a game helps you figure out average ypc.

And 3.7 yards on the weak side isnt even bad lol
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM ]
I love Anthony Davis! He is still so young and isn't even near his prime yet!
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Only 2-3 QB's in the League get 20 mil per season. Kaep won't get that much.

Those contracts are only setting the benchmark for future contracts.

With players like Stafford and Eli Manning making 20 million in 2013, and players like Flacco, Romo, and Brees making well over that in 2014+ do you really think Kap's agent is going to fall asleep at the wheel when its time to renew his contract in 2014?

Heck, Phillip Rivers is nearly making 20 million (17.1). You think Kap's agent is seriously going to ask for, what, 16 million?

When those players signed those contracts they had shown more for longer than Kaep has.
Stafford is overpaid but he IS a pretty good QB who puts up big numbers.
Eli has 2 rings and 2 superbowl MVP's.
Flacco has won a playoff game every year in the league and just won a superbowl MVP.
Brees is a major QB record holder and holds several more NFL records and he too is a superbowl MVP.
Rivers was an MVP candidate a couple years but has fallen apart. Has won more playoff games than Kaep.
Romo obviously is overpaid but he has always put up big numbers and holds several Cowboys records including TD's and lowest interception rate. He even holds the #5 all time NFL career passer rating. Just falls apart in the playoffs like the rest of his team.

I love Kaepernick and want him here for a long long time. He is not a $20M QB yet though. He'll need to win an MVP and a superbowl in the next two years to get that.

Quarterback value is based upon how valuable the player is to the team. If his agent asks for 20 mil per, what is the team supposed to say? "No?"

Look at Flacco, Stafford, Rivers, Romo. It doesn't matter what accolades a quarterback has, what matters is value. What choice do those teams have? Should Detroit let Stafford walk because he isn't worth the money? Who would they replace him with?

Teams with franchise quarterbacks have no leverage at all. They have to pay what the market price for "franchise quarterbacks" is. If your team's franchise quarterback is better or worse than another, it doesn't matter. The leagues top 15 or so quarterbacks are going to be paid 20+ million, because losing them is almost unthinkable to their respective franchises.

Franchise quarterbacks in no particular order:
Brady, P Manning, E Manning, Rodgers, Rivers, Romo, Flacco, Stafford, RGIII, Ryan, Luck, Dalton, Wilson, Roethlisberger, Brees and yes Kap.
Borderline players: Newton, Cutler, Schaub.

The franchise players either currently make 20+ million, make very close to 20 million, or they will soon make 20+ million when they sign their new contracts. Very few of them have won a Super Bowl or have been an MVP.
If you look at Kap's numbers, they are almost a mirror image to RGIII. Very efficient with tons of big play ability. Top five in the league in terms of per play efficiency and INT ratio. Kap is a top five quarterback just going by those numbers. His agent would laugh in our faces if we offered anything less than 20 mil per. They will probably ask for 25 mil per.
In 2015 Tony Romo will cost 25 million, Brees 26 million. In 2016 Flacco will cost 28 million. If Kap even sniffs the Pro-Bowl next season, we would be extremely lucky to get him for 20 mil per.
Great! This guy is great and I like that he got back in touch with his coach back in school.

Davis really was our most consistent lineman ,I'm waiting for that 42-13 a score to pop up soon, that was their SB, bottom feeders, yup the name speaks for itself seahawks.
I like Anthony Davis as a player, but as a person he needs to grow up. Im tired of hearing about his immature / vulgar tweets along with his trash talking. Also, that was a classless move to publicly call out his college head coach. Be the better man and let your game/contract do the talking. And besides, i don't doubt Anthony Davis needed a reality check in college in regards to his attitude. The days of people like Marvin Harrison and Barry Sanders are diminishing.

Originally posted by Wheelz29:

Davis really was our most consistent lineman ,I'm waiting for that 42-13 a score to pop up soon, that was their SB, bottom feeders, yup the name speaks for itself seahawks.

maybe "Haha" is this guy from seahawks.net who wrote this in their anthony davis thread.....

Not at all, I'm a bit more on the fence than earlier. Sounds a lot like the Sean Locklear situation to me. Baalke might have pulled a Tim Ruskell. Like I said earlier he can pass block but Gore averaged 3.7 yards per carry running behind him last year. Substantially less yardage than he averaged running left or up the middle. Congrats 49ers, you may have spent a bunch of money on a one trick pony who can only pass block. I like that he never misses games but thats a lot of money tied up to the 3rd most important position on the offensive line and Iupati getting a blockbuster deal shortly. Oh well, thats their problem.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Crabman, are they going to re-sign you?
Originally posted by mayo49:

Originally posted by mayo49:

yes but only after i get franchised after my contract is up lol
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
No wonder they didn't want to pay Dashon. Too bad. Sigh...
Share 49ersWebzone