LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 174 users in the forums

Anthony Davis signs five-year contract extension

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Crabtree runs a 4.50 forty. He's not a deep threat that can seperate and jump over corners. He's a possession, move the chains, reciever who is very good but is not a homerun threat. Crab does his work underneath the coverage. A #1 works over the top of the coverage. Those are the one's that get paid like #1's.

Forgive me 'Zone for actually saying it out loud, but Crabtree reminds me of Michael Irvin. Fast enough to go deep if he has to but not fast enough to do it every down (a la young Randy Moss), strong hands, gets open, physical, moves the chains, etc.

Letting Crabtree walk would be a huge mistake for us—especially considering the rapport he has with Kap.

May not have a choice. With the amount we are paying our long term guys like Pat, Bow, VDavis, ADavis...plus the contact we will need to give Iupati, Aldon..and of course the 20M per Kaep is going to get, I just cant see how we will be able to meet Crabs demands since he will want to be paid like a top 3 WR after the next two years of dominance ( make no mistake, Kaep is gonna make him into a star in 2013 + 2014! ) We would have to pay him at or damn close to 10M per year, just not sure we can pull it off unless the Cap jumps up big time in 2015. Crabs does not strike me as a guy who will take a hometown discount.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:27 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Gets Crabs and Iupati signed up before working out deals with Kaep and Aldon.
Originally posted by cory4903:
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by blm7754:
We should have plenty of cap space after this season when we can get guys like Goodwin, Rogers, Whitner, and Justin Smith's contracts off the payroll.

wat. No way we don't resign Justin Smith after his contract runs out.

Agreed I think we resign Justin. But I also agree with the blm7754. Justins next contract will not likely be as expensive as the one he is playing under now. The fact that his previous contract is up means that we will likely have more money to put towards other extensions.

Justin has talked openly about retiring. Not sure when he would do that... but it only makes sense after his current deal is up.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
LOVE IT!!!! Great move by our FO yet again. Now its time for Big Mike and Kaep, the way Crabs handled his rookie deal, I don't think there's a chance in hell he's going to give a hometown discount and stick around. Jerry World will pay him whatever he wants to return to Texas. Just like with Dashon, he'll be gone.

But back to Anthony, love how much he's improved over the past 2 seasons. At only 23, the sky is the limit for him! Back in 2010, he was the 3rd T taken in the draft.

#4 Trent Williams
#6 Russell Okung
#11 Anthony Davis

All 3 were LT prospects coming out of college, but only Davis moved to RT. The other 2 guys signed new deals before Davis. Lets see what those numbers look like

Trent Williams
Contract: 6 yr(s) / $60,000,000 - Signing Bonus $3,000,000 - Average Salary $10,000,000 - End Year: 2015 - Free Agent: 2016 / Unrestricted
Russell Okung
Contract: 6 yr(s) / $48,500,000 Signing Bonus $1,680,000 - Average Salary $8,083,333 - End Year: 2015 - Free Agent: 2016 / Unrestricted
Anthony Davis
Contract: 7 yr(s) / $39,670,000 Signing Bonus ?????????- Average Salary $5,667,143 - End Year: 2019 - Free Agent: 2020 / Unrestricted

I would pick Davis over Okung ANY DAY, Trent is a push in ability for 2/3 of the price. I know the other 2 are LT's so the numbers are higher...but wait, what do Joe Staley's numbers look like????

Joe Staley
Contract: 6 yr(s) / $28,120,000 Signing Bonus - Average Salary $4,686,667 End Year: 2017 Free Agent: 2018 / Unrestricted

Well well, Joe is considered the best LT in the league, and Anthony was selected to Peter Kings All Pro team. If you add Joe's and Anthony's average salary together, you get Trent! ( I know I know, those numbers are misleading, but still funny to read )

Bottom line is that Anthony Davis is just 23 and considered one of the best RT's in the entire league. He has the ability and agility to play LT or RT. If he continues his upward trajectory of improvment each year, he will be an absolute MONSTER next year and beyond. A young, healthy, perennial All Pro that would have averaged 10M per year if he was allowed to hit the Free Agent market. We are getting an All Pro type player JUST ENTERING his prime. The 9ers FO has their sh!t together!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Staley's deal was for 43M not the 28M, he got a huge $11M roster bonus when he signed it in 2009.

AB, are the rest of these numbers accurate?

If so, $5,667,143 average salary for Davis is a bargain.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Gets Crabs and Iupati signed up before working out deals with Kaep and Aldon.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we will be able to sign all those guys. I think one of them will walk. My bet is Crabs.
Staley's deal was for 43M not the 28M, he got a huge $11M roster bonus when he signed it in 2009.

You know, I thought that number looked weird so I started searching for the breakdown and couldn't find it. This is where I got that from =

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/joe-staley/

Then all the articles say a 42M extension, I just cant see where a breakdown is. The 11M roster bonus makes sense though to front load it. That's probably the 13M "misc" money I see in 09 from that link. If they front loaded it as a roster bonus instead of signing bonus to take the cap hit early, then they should quit the NFL and help find the Higgs Boson!!!!!

[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Garcia:
Davis is a beast.

Never gets called for penalties, beast Run Blocker, Beast Pass blocker. Dude is a stud.

agreed, Davis is a stud and is young, and to lock up a great RT for decent value is huge not just for the team but for Kaep's future as well.

The average salary looks better because its an extension of his current numbers. Meaning we get him cheap for this and next year, dropping the average salary. The extension is 5 @ 37, or 7.4 per year. .
Crabtree runs a 4.50 forty. He's not a deep threat that can seperate and jump over corners. He's a possession, move the chains, reciever who is very good but is not a homerun threat. Crab does his work underneath the coverage. A #1 works over the top of the coverage. Those are the one's that get paid like #1's.

Forgive me 'Zone for actually saying it out loud, but Crabtree reminds me of Michael Irvin. Fast enough to go deep if he has to but not fast enough to do it every down (a la young Randy Moss), strong hands, gets open, physical, moves the chains, etc.

Letting Crabtree walk would be a huge mistake for us—especially considering the rapport he has with Kap.

May not have a choice. With the amount we are paying our long term guys like Pat, Bow, VDavis, ADavis...plus the contact we will need to give Iupati, Aldon..and of course the 20M per Kaep is going to get, I just cant see how we will be able to meet Crabs demands since he will want to be paid like a top 3 WR after the next two years of dominance ( make no mistake, Kaep is gonna make him into a star in 2013 + 2014! ) We would have to pay him at or damn close to 10M per year, just not sure we can pull it off unless the Cap jumps up big time in 2015. Crabs does not strike me as a guy who will take a hometown discount.

I'd let Iupati walk before I'd let Crab walk, at this point. So if that is the difference, I wouldn't hesitate.

I'd let Iupati walk before I'd let Crab walk, at this point. So if that is the difference, I wouldn't hesitate.

I hear ya, getting a LG is much easier than getting a premier WR like Crabs is going to be. Still we have to remember that Crabbs only healthy season was last year. Iupati is also not just your average LG, he's is considered the best in the league. You are talking the next Steve Hutchinson or Larry Allen. With his strength and ability to pull, he is the perfect weapon for this system. I think letting him walk and thinking we wont miss a beat is a big mistake.

I see your side though, without a premier WR, the passing game will take a major step back. With the way we've drafted WR's over the past decade, Crabbs is our best chance at a home gown product. I think the bigger question will be Aldon. He is going to make 15+ M per year. Can we afford him, Iupati and Crabbs? I dont think so. Would it be better money spent to keep Iupati and Crabbs over Aldon? Or Aldon over both? Hell I would love to keep them all, plus the FO has already projected out who they will keep and let go over the next 5 years. Should be interesting to see what they do.

BUT...till then! WE GOT EM ALL!!! LETS GOOO!!!

LOVE IT!!!! Great move by our FO yet again. Now its time for Big Mike and Kaep, the way Crabs handled his rookie deal, I don't think there's a chance in hell he's going to give a hometown discount and stick around. Jerry World will pay him whatever he wants to return to Texas. Just like with Dashon, he'll be gone.

But back to Anthony, love how much he's improved over the past 2 seasons. At only 23, the sky is the limit for him! Back in 2010, he was the 3rd T taken in the draft.

#4 Trent Williams
#6 Russell Okung
#11 Anthony Davis

All 3 were LT prospects coming out of college, but only Davis moved to RT. The other 2 guys signed new deals before Davis. Lets see what those numbers look like

Trent Williams
Contract: 6 yr(s) / $60,000,000 - Signing Bonus $3,000,000 - Average Salary $10,000,000 - End Year: 2015 - Free Agent: 2016 / Unrestricted
Russell Okung
Contract: 6 yr(s) / $48,500,000 Signing Bonus $1,680,000 - Average Salary $8,083,333 - End Year: 2015 - Free Agent: 2016 / Unrestricted
Anthony Davis
Contract: 7 yr(s) / $39,670,000 Signing Bonus ?????????- Average Salary $5,667,143 - End Year: 2019 - Free Agent: 2020 / Unrestricted

I would pick Davis over Okung ANY DAY, Trent is a push in ability for 2/3 of the price. I know the other 2 are LT's so the numbers are higher...but wait, what do Joe Staley's numbers look like????

Joe Staley
Contract: 6 yr(s) / $28,120,000 Signing Bonus - Average Salary $4,686,667 End Year: 2017 Free Agent: 2018 / Unrestricted

Well well, Joe is considered the best LT in the league, and Anthony was selected to Peter Kings All Pro team. If you add Joe's and Anthony's average salary together, you get Trent! ( I know I know, those numbers are misleading, but still funny to read )

Bottom line is that Anthony Davis is just 23 and considered one of the best RT's in the entire league. He has the ability and agility to play LT or RT. If he continues his upward trajectory of improvment each year, he will be an absolute MONSTER next year and beyond. A young, healthy, perennial All Pro that would have averaged 10M per year if he was allowed to hit the Free Agent market. We are getting an All Pro type player JUST ENTERING his prime. The 9ers FO has their sh!t together!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Yes, the Okung and Williams numbers are correct. They were last draft class under old CBA. Those deals were there rookie deals.

And Davis will be a bargain for the price, averaged over 7 years.
  • thl408
The ADavis deal also sets the salary structure in place for Iupati. Generally speaking, OTs are paid more than OGs. Now, Iupati is something special, but he can't go to the negotiating table asking for a lot more than what ADavis got.

The flip side is Iupati may see this ADavis deal and realize that he will not be re-signing with the 49ers since he had a certain figure in mind and it is substantially more than Davis'.
I hear ya, getting a LG is much easier than getting a premier WR like Crabs is going to be. Still we have to remember that Crabbs only healthy season was last year. Iupati is also not just your average LG, he's is considered the best in the league. You are talking the next Steve Hutchinson or Larry Allen. With his strength and ability to pull, he is the perfect weapon for this system. I think letting him walk and thinking we wont miss a beat is a big mistake.

I see your side though, without a premier WR, the passing game will take a major step back. With the way we've drafted WR's over the past decade, Crabbs is our best chance at a home gown product. I think the bigger question will be Aldon. He is going to make 15+ M per year. Can we afford him, Iupati and Crabbs? I dont think so. Would it be better money spent to keep Iupati and Crabbs over Aldon? Or Aldon over both? Hell I would love to keep them all, plus the FO has already projected out who they will keep and let go over the next 5 years. Should be interesting to see what they do.

I hear ya. I'm sure we're going to have to let at least one if not two walk. I know Iupati is the best and integral but I would easily prioritize them this way...

1. Kap
  2. Aldon
  3. Crab
  4. Iupati

That's no slam on Iupati but more a reflection on his position. It's a lot easier to get depth at G than it is WR. The only way I'd change my mind about that is if Jenkins suddenly breaks out. I'm not holding my breath though. Boldin won't be on this team for more than two seasons so that leave us with Crab. I don't want to have Kap throwing to a bunch of Otis Amy's.

Edit... the only other way I'd change my mind is if Iupati's asking price was reasonable and Crabtree is unwilling to negotiate down from the moon.
[ Edited by ghostrider on Apr 5, 2013 at 12:59 PM ]
Great job front office... Get those trench guys locked up, now start working on Lupati.

Awesome

I hear ya. I'm sure we're going to have to let at least one if not two walk. I know Iupati is the best and integral but I would easily prioritize them this way...

1. Kap
  2. Aldon
  3. Crab
  4. Iupati
That's no slam on Iupati but more a reflection on his position. It's a lot easier to get depth at G than it is WR. The only way I'd change my mind about that is if Jenkins suddenly breaks out. I'm not holding my breath though. Boldin won't be on this team for more than two seasons so that leave us with Crab. I don't want to have Kap throwing to a bunch of Otis Amy's.

Edit... the only other way I'd change my mind is if Iupati's asking price was reasonable and Crabtree is unwilling to negotiate down from the moon.

Totally agree brother, let's enjoy everyone while we can. What an amazing problem to have.
Share 49ersWebzone