There are 171 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Best 49ers draft pick in the last 20 years?

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ayetee:
Originally posted by krizay:
T.O. is right behind Jerry in ALOT of categories. We consider Jerry the GOAT. So if T.O. can put up arguably the 2nd best numbers. How can it not be T.O.? As good as everyone else mentioned has been. To this point they dont have T.O.'s resume.

T.O. is not a TEAM player in a team sport.

That has nothing to do with the argument. Question is best 49ers draft pick. We picked Terrell Owens. Who has arguably the 2nd best resume of any WR that has played the game.

Thus a great draft pick. Especially if you want to factor in round drafted like the OP stated. It's not even close.
Time will tell..maybe Kaepernick in the 2nd round : ) but for now I would say Willis ..the bowman pick in the 3rd round has turned out pretty good too
That has nothing to do with the argument. Question is best 49ers draft pick. We picked Terrell Owens. Who has arguably the 2nd best resume of any WR that has played the game.

Thus a great draft pick. Especially if you want to factor in round drafted like the OP stated. It's not even close.

I don't know of any plausable argument that TO is #2 behind Jerry. TO was a greek tragedy unfolding before our very eyes. It puts a taint on the numbers. Regardless, I think its weird that posters think Frank is a bologna sandwich because he isn't running in Eric Dickersons body. Really bizarre. Are we talking about the same Frank Gore? #21? If Thurman thomas can make the Hall, Frank can make the Hall. He needs to break 10K, which he could do next year. But as usual, , like many exceptional backs, numbers don't tell the story. Some of Franks best moments have come just getting back to the line of scrimmage. Payton was like that too -- played for crappy teams and would make a hall of fame run to get a first down on 4th & 3 in a hopeless game. (BTW, does anyone remember the run I am talking here against 9ers in playoffs?). Frank does a lot of things like that. He deserves every good word he gets and I can't really think of a more productive pick in the last 20 years.
T.O. -- The best draft pick (like him or not).
Gore -- All-Time 49er RB in the third.
Kap -- He is already good enough, and plays the critical QB position, to earn #3 on the list.
Bowman -- Third round steal. Arguably the best in the business.

Other good picks:
Heitmann
Goldson
Brown
Lee
Jennings
Soap
Grant
RJF
Miller
Morgan
McDonald
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
I don't know of any plausable argument that TO is #2 behind Jerry. TO was a greek tragedy unfolding before our very eyes. It puts a taint on the numbers. Regardless, I think its weird that posters think Frank is a bologna sandwich because he isn't running in Eric Dickersons body. Really bizarre. Are we talking about the same Frank Gore? #21? If Thurman thomas can make the Hall, Frank can make the Hall. He needs to break 10K, which he could do next year. But as usual, , like many exceptional backs, numbers don't tell the story. Some of Franks best moments have come just getting back to the line of scrimmage. Payton was like that too -- played for crappy teams and would make a hall of fame run to get a first down on 4th & 3 in a hopeless game. (BTW, does anyone remember the run I am talking here against 9ers in playoffs?). Frank does a lot of things like that. He deserves every good word he gets and I can't really think of a more productive pick in the last 20 years.

If it's not on YouTube, it didn't happen.

I think Frank was a great pick. More often than not, a guy with his injury history would flame out in the NFl, but he has put together a hell of a career. I just think QB > RB. Franchise QB in the 2nd beats Bellcow RB in the 3rd, IMO.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
T.O. -- The best draft pick (like him or not).
Gore -- All-Time 49er RB in the third.
Kap -- He is already good enough, and plays the critical QB position, to earn #3 on the list.
Bowman -- Third round steal. Arguably the best in the business.

Other good picks:
Heitmann
Goldson
Brown
Lee
Jennings
Soap
Grant
RJF
Miller
Morgan
McDonald

Disagree w/T.O.: He was good here, but most of what he did in his career, he didn't do with us, and a draft pick should be evaluated on how much he does for the team that selected him.

Bowman was a great value, for sure, but I can't fathom how anyone would think he's better than Willis. Sure, Navorro has more tackles, but Willis has to take on FAR more OL blocks, as offenses adjust scheme to block him every week, AND he has more difficult coverage responsibilities (Belichick called him the best cover man in our entire defense). Arguing that Bowman is better than Willis, IMO, is the result of over-weighing statistics, and I like Bowman a lot.
Gore is good, but Willis is the only player that is on a guaranteed HOF track right now.

So even with a 1st rd. grade, Willis is the best pick in the past 20 years.

Young still hasn't and probably won't make the HOF. Although he should.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
If it's not on YouTube, it didn't happen.

I think Frank was a great pick. More often than not, a guy with his injury history would flame out in the NFl, but he has put together a hell of a career. I just think QB > RB. Franchise QB in the 2nd beats Bellcow RB in the 3rd, IMO.

Also, many people forget that Gore does more than just run the ball. He's been one of the best in the league in yards from scrimmage and as a pass protector. The idea that he doesn't break long runs for TDs is false, too. He's never had elite breakaway speed, but he's had his fair share of long TDs... the two 80 yard runs in one game against Seattle comes to mind. He has been caught from behind plenty of times, though.

We should wait until at least after next season to include Kap in this discussion. He doesn't have the body of work to make a fair comparison yet.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

2nd all time in yards (15,934) (rice #1 w/ 22,895)
3rd all time in TD's (153) (rice 197, moss 156)
6th all time in receptions (1078) (behind rice, gonzo, harrison, chris carter and tim brown)
5th all time in total td's (156) (behind rice, emmitt,LT and moss)

So as I said arguably the 2nd best WR of ALL TIME. Like him or not.
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 4, 2013 at 5:23 PM ]

2nd all time in yards (15,934) (rice #1 w/ 22,895)
3rd all time in TD's (153) (rice 197, moss 156)
6th all time in receptions (1078) (behind rice, gonzo, harrison, chris carter and tim brown)
5th all time in total td's (156) (behind rice, emmitt,LT and moss)

So as I said arguably the 2nd best WR of ALL TIME. Like him or not.

he probably won't get in first ballot because of his rep. but he'll eventually make it in.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Disagree w/T.O.: He was good here, but most of what he did in his career, he didn't do with us, and a draft pick should be evaluated on how much he does for the team that selected him.

Bowman was a great value, for sure, but I can't fathom how anyone would think he's better than Willis. Sure, Navorro has more tackles, but Willis has to take on FAR more OL blocks, as offenses adjust scheme to block him every week, AND he has more difficult coverage responsibilities (Belichick called him the best cover man in our entire defense). Arguing that Bowman is better than Willis, IMO, is the result of over-weighing statistics, and I like Bowman a lot.

He had his best years with us.
Terrell Owens
Bryant young
Frank gore
Patrick Willis
Ricky waters

In that order
[ Edited by iLL49er on Apr 4, 2013 at 7:30 PM ]

i think randy moss, cris carter, marvin harrison, isaac bruce, james lofton and michael cokehead ervin if he didnt mess up his spine and retire early are arguably all better than T.O. who played damn near 20 years to get those numbers. he was a beast for sure but hes arguably the biggest headcase the nfl has ever seen and if you break his numbers down according to how long he played his numbers arent as staggering. hes still a beast tho, not taking anything away from the guy but i just dont think hes the second best receiver of all time. megatron will pass all these guys when all is said and done and andre johnson will also pass a bunch of them if he can ever stay healthy for 16 games
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

i think randy moss, cris carter, marvin harrison, isaac bruce, james lofton and michael cokehead ervin if he didnt mess up his spine and retire early are arguably all better than T.O. who played damn near 20 years to get those numbers. he was a beast for sure but hes arguably the biggest headcase the nfl has ever seen and if you break his numbers down according to how long he played his numbers arent as staggering. hes still a beast tho, not taking anything away from the guy but i just dont think hes the second best receiver of all time. megatron will pass all these guys when all is said and done and andre johnson will also pass a bunch of them if he can ever stay healthy for 16 games

more uneducated nonsense.

T.O. 15 years
moss 15 years
carter 16 years
harrison 13 years
bruce16 years
lofton 16 years
irvin 12 years
  • krizay
  • Veteran
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 5, 2013 at 2:47 AM ]