LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 209 users in the forums

The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by mayo49:
Barrows:
Tolzien is a little taller than McCoy -- 6-3 vs. 6-1 -- but McCoy has more mobility. He rushed for 1,589 yards and scored 20 rushing touchdowns at Texas. Tolzien, meanwhile, rushed for -9 yards overall at Wisconsin.Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/04/backup-position-49ers-deal-for-browns-qb-colt-mccoy.html#storylink=cpy

But I think Tolzien has the stronger arm, which really shows how weak McCoys arm-strength is, cause Tolziens not that strong either.
Tolzien will be missed.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by OldJoe:
164th +237th pick for McCoy and a 173rd. Seems like a steal to me.

Ya, essentially we have a backup qb and we lost one of our 4 7th round picks and we move our 164th pick back 9 spots. Nice!

Yeah, it really is a nice move.
Originally posted by niners94:
Next Alex Smith. Going to steal some picks in a couple of years.

First thing I thought when I saw this.

Harbs will coach him up, make look good and then cash him in. Kinda like what the eagles did with Kolb.
[ Edited by KegBert on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Barrows:
Tolzien is a little taller than McCoy -- 6-3 vs. 6-1 -- but McCoy has more mobility. He rushed for 1,589 yards and scored 20 rushing touchdowns at Texas. Tolzien, meanwhile, rushed for -9 yards overall at Wisconsin.Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/04/backup-position-49ers-deal-for-browns-qb-colt-mccoy.html#storylink=cpy

But I think Tolzien has the stronger arm, which really shows how weak McCoys arm-strength is, cause Tolziens not that strong either.

No, Kolhe, I think McCoy has the stronger arm. If I recall correctly, Tolzien has never had a cannon.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 1, 2013 at 2:26 PM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
April Fools

Haha well hopefully this comes out right then.

Good pickup. This is essentially just a late 7th pick (almost UDFA territory) for a guy with NFL experience who put up mediocre/decent numbers on a team that was otherwise terrible. Solid investment in someone who at least has starting experience and isn't absolute crap.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Barrows:

No, Kolhe I think McCoy has the stronger arm. If I recall correctly, Tolzien has an average arm.

Tolzein will beat him out. Guaranteed.
Looks like they battle it out. If Tolzein wins it is status quo if McCoy wins our back up is semi mobile too and the offense doesn't dramatically change if Kaep gets hurt.
Can't hate on trading a 7th rd pick for an experienced backup who's still young and mobile. 1.5Mil cap figure though. That could have went to somewhere more useful, like Nnamdi or Abraham.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MarkD:
Barrows:

No, Kolhe I think McCoy has the stronger arm. If I recall correctly, Tolzien has an average arm.

Tolzein will beat him out. Guaranteed.

So alot of peeps might be wondering why the Niners have now traded twice for players that were possibly about to be released.

1) You don't have to risk them getting away.
2) 49ers have an abundance of picks
3) Both players are in the last year of their contracts so if signed away after next year thay would count toward the Comp Pick formula. IE, the Niners are actually giving up less than we think if those players don't resign in SF.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
wtf is Baalke doing you cant just waste late picks like this. first a 6th round pick for Boldin and now this.

dont he know how hard it is to get these picks
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by niners94:
Next Alex Smith. Going to steal some picks in a couple of years.

First thing I thought when I saw this.

Harbs will coach him up, make look good and then cash him in. Kinda like what the eagles did with Kolb.

Actually no....unless thier is an extension. He's in the last year of his deal.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kentc1978:
Can't hate on trading a 7th rd pick for an experienced backup who's still young and mobile. 1.5Mil cap figure though. That could have went to somewhere more useful, like Nnamdi or Abraham.

With backups getting $4M plus, it's a bargain. Anyone know his contract terms?
Originally posted by susweel:
wtf is Baalke doing you cant just waste late picks like this. first a 6th round pick for Boldin and now this.

dont he know how hard it is to get these picks

LOL...read my post directly above yours. ;-)
Share 49ersWebzone