There are 174 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers.

Originally posted by stunder49:
Can he play free safety?

nope but I hope we are not really going to pay the guy 1.5mil this season....is that true or not?

I would've rather got a vet for the league minimum or just relied on Tolzien and a rookie...instead of Tolzien and a McCoy.

I would rather that 1mill to help go for a Vet Safety like Woodson for this season. Every mill counts....I think we wasted money on Dhaul (even if it was mainly for SP) and McCoy.
Originally posted by Youngone:
I could see Boldin coming back, I see Colt as one and done. Either he does well and signs somewhere else or he doesn't do well and we move on. I don't see a middle ground. That being said I like the value at essentially a 7th.

anyone we drafted in the 7th and 5th would have been a longshot to make the team anyway ...I like this move, this way we get a QB with game experience, and still has a ceiling for Harbs, Roman & Chryst to coach up ....Colt kind of reminds me of another QB that once played for us , "Ty Detmer" ...not an explosive QB with a cannon for an arm , but serviceable and good enough to start in a snap if needed , he will be much more game ready by mid season
BTW, does anyone know what Round Colt was drafted in...? Duh.... it helps to look further....3rd rounder by Cleveland in 2010
[ Edited by highway49 on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
nope but I hope we are not really going to pay the guy 1.5mil this season....is that true or not?

I would've rather got a vet for the league minimum or just relied on Tolzien and a rookie...instead of Tolzien and a McCoy.

I would rather that 1mill to help go for a Vet Safety like Woodson for this season. Every mill counts....I think we wasted money on Dhaul (even if it was mainly for SP) and McCoy.

If Dahl can help the STs get back on par to where they were in 2011 then it's money well-spent. The HarBaalke knows it took a calculated risk in letting Costanzo and Jones go last year, and that it backfired with how much ST play suffered in 2012. So enter Dahl and Skuta.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Can he play free safety?

Look at the going rate for backup QBs that signed this off-season:

Matt Moore - Resigned with Dolphins - 2 year/$8M ($4 mill avg per year)

Matt Hasselbeck - Signed with Colts - 2 year/$8M ($4 mill avg per year)

Tarvaris Jackson - Resigned with Bills - 1 year/$2.25M

Matt Cassell - Signed with Vikings - 2 year/$7.5M ($3.75 mill avg per year)

We got McCoy for pennies compared to the market rate for backup QBs. In addition, the 49ers can easily convert that base salary into a signing bonus by extending McCoy for a couple of years - reducing the cap burden.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Can he play free safety?

We got McCoy for pennies compared to the market rate for backup QBs. In addition, the 49ers can easily convert that base salary into a signing bonus by extending McCoy for a couple of years - reducing the cap burden.

When you watch McCoy take off on that 60 yard TD run against Texas A&M, he sure looks a lot faster than a 4.79 40, his combine number. He just takes off and gets out of that pocket real quick.
I'll take this trade over drafting a QB with that draft pick. Harbs made Smith look good, mad Kaep even better. I can only imagine what he could do for McCoy.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
When you watch McCoy take off on that 60 yard TD run against Texas A&M, he sure looks a lot faster than a 4.79 40, his combine number. He just takes off and gets out of that pocket real quick.

Can he play free safety?

I'd say the common denominator of those teams (except Colts) is that their Starting QB sucks so they want the insurance. I'd never shell out that kinda coin for a backup on a bad team
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Can he play free safety?

I'd say the common denominator of those teams (except Colts) is that their Starting QB sucks so they want the insurance. I'd never shell out that kinda coin for a backup on a bad team

Isn't a backup always insurance though - no matter the team?? Colt McCoy is not a bad QB. He has the ability to win games. I think we got a decent QB for a great price.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
anyone we drafted in the 7th and 5th would have been a longshot to make the team anyway ...I like this move, this way we get a QB with game experience, and still has a ceiling for Harbs, Roman & Chryst to coach up ....Colt kind of reminds me of another QB that once played for us , "Ty Detmer" ...not an explosive QB with a cannon for an arm , but serviceable and good enough to start in a snap if needed , he will be much more game ready by mid season

Exactly. Balkee, is getting the best bang for his buck with every draft pick. Considering he not only got McCoy but also another draft pick (essentially giving up just one pick). That's amazing. Trent is a straight up hustler.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Isn't a backup always insurance though - no matter the team?? Colt McCoy is not a bad QB. He has the ability to win games. I think we got a decent QB for a great price.

And, he really knows how to run that read-option. I like the pickup and I'm glad they don't need to really think too hard about that in the upcoming draft now.
never really liked McCoy ..but i'm very intrigued to see what Harbaugh can do with him
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
Great trade.

Colt has experience in a tough defensive division. He played decent for a developing rookie/soph and will be a serviceable backup.

He is accurate and mobile. I eyed him during the draft a few years ago.

Career 70%+ completion in college (phenomenal). 13,000+ yds in four years at Big 12. Mobile with good rush yds. Great fit for niner system.
best qb name EVER