LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm intriuged by this move. I turst the team on this call. I'm curious who will be the #2. I wonder if this isn't partially designed to push Tolzien.
Originally posted by VA49er:
I'm intriuged by this move. I turst the team on this call. I'm curious who will be the #2. I wonder if this isn't partially designed to push Tolzien.

it obviously is..and why wouldn't it. its all about competition, never lose that edge
Colt started 4 yrs for the HORNS. He played great, and was definitely a gamer, winning a number of games as come from behinds.Does not have the gun Kap does, but is equally as mobile. Is smart qB, learns fast, and is tough.

I like Tolz, but colt is closer to the style of Qb player than is tolz. With no good Qb choices out there, he was a steal, in effect a 7th plus us moving back 6 slots. What i really like about this trade is , if Kap gets injured, colt can come in and run the same offense. Tolz is more of a pocket passer. I love the trade which as suswheel noted, cost us virtually nothing. With JH as HC, he will get colt up to par rapidly.

The big deal? Here is a guy who can come in and win if Kap goes down, Remember, Kap is always just RG3 move away from tearing up a knee. I hope he runs a lot less this yr, but still, the big guy runs when he coulda passed. RG3 brought us all back to reality. Running QBs ultimately get hurt. If that happens, we got a kid who could fill in for Kap seamlessly. Incredible move, trent with no decent qBs out there in later rds....nor in early ones either.
Not a bad signing, but nothing to great either. Colt reminds me of a less talented Alex Smith, so in that sense having him as a backup may keep some continuity in the QB position as they are used to Alex. I would expect they bring in at least more guy to compete; perhaps a later round draft pick?
My guess is harbaugh tried to recruit Colt back in the day.
For some reason this dude reminds me of Tommy Maddox
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by MILFS:
didn't realize the third part. i love this move.

If the guys signs for vet min or next to nothing, the 9ers get nothing. Since he is the back up, the only way he gets a good contract next year is if Kaep gets hurt. I want no part of a comp pick from McCoy.

1) Boldin likely won't sign for vet minimum elsewhere.
2) McCoy is a QB, so also unlikely to sign for vet minimum.

I'm also not suggesting they will get 3rd round picks for these guys. I'm just saying they gave up a 6 and a 7 and its not unlikely they could get at least a 7 back as a compensatory pick.
Can he play free safety?
I could see Boldin coming back, I see Colt as one and done. Either he does well and signs somewhere else or he doesn't do well and we move on. I don't see a middle ground. That being said I like the value at essentially a 7th.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He's been a starter before, so if he has to spell Kap, it won't be a total disaster.

Originally posted by stunder49:
Can he play free safety?

nope but I hope we are not really going to pay the guy 1.5mil this season....is that true or not?

I would've rather got a vet for the league minimum or just relied on Tolzien and a rookie...instead of Tolzien and a McCoy.

I would rather that 1mill to help go for a Vet Safety like Woodson for this season. Every mill counts....I think we wasted money on Dhaul (even if it was mainly for SP) and McCoy.
Originally posted by Youngone:
I could see Boldin coming back, I see Colt as one and done. Either he does well and signs somewhere else or he doesn't do well and we move on. I don't see a middle ground. That being said I like the value at essentially a 7th.

anyone we drafted in the 7th and 5th would have been a longshot to make the team anyway ...I like this move, this way we get a QB with game experience, and still has a ceiling for Harbs, Roman & Chryst to coach up ....Colt kind of reminds me of another QB that once played for us , "Ty Detmer" ...not an explosive QB with a cannon for an arm , but serviceable and good enough to start in a snap if needed , he will be much more game ready by mid season
BTW, does anyone know what Round Colt was drafted in...? Duh.... it helps to look further....3rd rounder by Cleveland in 2010
[ Edited by highway49 on Apr 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
nope but I hope we are not really going to pay the guy 1.5mil this season....is that true or not?

I would've rather got a vet for the league minimum or just relied on Tolzien and a rookie...instead of Tolzien and a McCoy.

I would rather that 1mill to help go for a Vet Safety like Woodson for this season. Every mill counts....I think we wasted money on Dhaul (even if it was mainly for SP) and McCoy.

If Dahl can help the STs get back on par to where they were in 2011 then it's money well-spent. The HarBaalke knows it took a calculated risk in letting Costanzo and Jones go last year, and that it backfired with how much ST play suffered in 2012. So enter Dahl and Skuta.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by stunder49:
Can he play free safety?

Look at the going rate for backup QBs that signed this off-season:

Matt Moore - Resigned with Dolphins - 2 year/$8M ($4 mill avg per year)

Matt Hasselbeck - Signed with Colts - 2 year/$8M ($4 mill avg per year)

Tarvaris Jackson - Resigned with Bills - 1 year/$2.25M

Matt Cassell - Signed with Vikings - 2 year/$7.5M ($3.75 mill avg per year)

We got McCoy for pennies compared to the market rate for backup QBs. In addition, the 49ers can easily convert that base salary into a signing bonus by extending McCoy for a couple of years - reducing the cap burden.
Share 49ersWebzone