LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 369 users in the forums

The Browns have dealt QB Colt McCoy to the 49ers.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
food for thought:

maybe Trent and Jim Harbaugh know they're not gonna pay Kaepernick $100 Million bucks when the time comes. So they just traded for their QB of the future to start grooming???

JH and Baalke are bold guys, but any plan that is predicated upon "Let's dump CK in favor of Colt McCoy" is about 99% stupid and maybe 1% bold.
lol JH isn't going to groom McCoy to trade him before the trade deadline. Your delusional if you think that can happen in under a few months. Since McCoy was available for a 7th rounder the market for him must have been non-existent.

McCoy was simply brought in to compete for the #2 QB job. Depending on how the season plays out, he can either resign for a cheaper amount or we part ways with him. Either way its not a bad move, we now know for sure we have a competent backup that has some experience as a starter.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
food for thought:

maybe Trent and Jim Harbaugh know they're not gonna pay Kaepernick $100 Million bucks when the time comes. So they just traded for their QB of the future to start grooming???

That is not food for thought. Food for thought is an idea that has some chance of happening - even if very, very slim. What you just suggested is just pure ridiculousness.
It does seem that he can make a lot of throws from really weird angles and while on the move. He doesn't have a cannon, but he has good mobility and a serviceable arm. He should be able to run most of our playbook.
People read way to much into this. He is your new backup QB if he proves teachable and more suitable to the offense than Tolzien. If not he is emminently cutable. He is at the very least more mobile, which is a must. The end game here is that he gets some time to learn how to play the game the right way and maybe he gets to be the next Alex Smith. He was a very talented kid that went to horrible horrible team and got ruined in the proccess...sound familiar? Harbaugh brings him in, fixes his game, maybe Kaep sits out a game sometime with a bump or bruise so McCoy can show his stuff a year or two down the road and then he gets traded for a nice pick. But that wont happen the middle of this year or even probably next year.
I have no problem with this move. McCoy would be a great backup. Has some things to work on, but he can be developed sitting behind Kaep. I'm told that Baalke was high on McCoy coming out of Texas. Plus we net only one draft pick loss - loss a 5th and 7th, but gain a 6th and a good young vet. Can't bet that deal with a stick. Hats off to the FO. No way Tolzein beats out McCoy for the #2 job. This is also a sign that HarBaalk wasn't really feeling this QB draft class. We'll probably bring in a guy to fight Tolzein for the #3 spot (probably a FA rookie) but nothing more.
absolutely love this move. Good friend of mine is a browns fan and I've been telling him for years I've wanted Colt. Harbaugh will revive his career and he'll flourish as our backup when called upon. Cant wait.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Colt = Championship
Colt will benefit from Harbaugh, Roman & Chryst, they will coach him up and have him ready to play to San Francisco Football

a 5th & 7th , not a bad trade for a QB who still has a ceiling and talents to fine tune for our offense , not exactly like getting Steve from Tampa , but without a doubt a solid football move by Baalke ...this means we will not be selecting a QB this year ...but then again Baalke is full of surprises
He is much better than whoever we would have drafted with that pick, and has some experience just in case. Hopefully he never hits the field unless it is mop up duty when we're up by 4 TD's

Originally posted by bigmur49:
He is much better than whoever we would have drafted with that pick, and has some experience just in case. Hopefully he never hits the field unless it is mop up duty when we're up by 4 TD's

....Well Said ......Pre -Season is going to be fun , McCoy vs Tolzien is going to be all the rage at training camp
Anytime you can trade a seventh rounder for a quality QB it's a good trade. I know we gave up a fifth rounder too but got back Cleveland's sixth which is pretty much a wash. Good deal.The kid has talent and a decent arm and will have a chance to prove that on a Superbowl calibre team. McCoy has to be feeling like he just won the lottery! Goodbye cold Cleveland and hello warm, sunny San Fran!
good trade, experienced young back up with a point to prove.

Plus a truly awesome name.
I'm good with this trade.
quite a few cleveland beat writers are saying this a great thing for Colt and he got a bad deal last year by not even getting to compete against weeden for the job and that he's was screwed by a horrendous team around him when he played
Share 49ersWebzone