There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

All Time Favorite San Francisco 49ers Team Year

Have to agree with Beeker here. The '84 team and season was epic. And, if you watched, you might remember that the one 3-point loss was a very questionable one and came with some unbelievably absurd calls for the Steelers. That team was basically a bad call away from 19-0. That Niner team had the leagues #1 defense and the #2 offense, right behind the Dolphins. The defense had 25 ints and 51 sacks. Montana had what was at the time the highest QB season rating of about 102.

The '89 team, though, was pretty incredible. It had the #1 offense and I think the #2 defense in the league. And it had a whopping 100 point differential in the playoffs which I think is still the record. That team had five Hall of Famers and another five or six that ought to be in the Hall on it at the same time.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Have to agree with Beeker here. The '84 team and season was epic. And, if you watched, you might remember that the one 3-point loss was a very questionable one and came with some unbelievably absurd calls for the Steelers. That team was basically a bad call away from 19-0. That Niner team had the leagues #1 defense and the #2 offense, right behind the Dolphins. The defense had 25 ints and 51 sacks. Montana had what was at the time the highest QB season rating of about 102.

The '89 team, though, was pretty incredible. It had the #1 offense and I think the #2 defense in the league. And it had a whopping 100 point differential in the playoffs which I think is still the record. That team had five Hall of Famers and another five or six that ought to be in the Hall on it at the same time.

I'd put the 89 team second for me as well. Not as good as the 84 team in the W-L column, but better statistically, and man .... 55-10
Now I'm 27, so I can't say the 80's or early 90's teams...

1) '94 team
2) '97 team
3) '12 team
There is one thing about the '88 team that I'll never forget and I'm not talking about that thrilling ending to their Super Bowl although I'll never forget that either. That Niner team went into Chicago for a playoff game as a wild card. It was a very cold day. The wind chill was something like minus 15 or minus 20. EVERY media clown said that a "finesse" team like the Niners had no chance against a "black and blue" division team like the Bears on a freezing midwestern day in Chicago.

Half the Niner team came out with bare arms. They absolutely crushed the Bears. They out-hit them, they out-ran them and they just flat-out beat them. On the Niners first set of downs, Montana hit Rice on a crossing route and Rice took it all the way and just stunned the crowd. Singletary has talked about how he will never forget that game.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
There is one thing about the '88 team that I'll never forget and I'm not talking about that thrilling ending to their Super Bowl although I'll never forget that either. That Niner team went into Chicago for a playoff game as a wild card. It was a very cold day. The wind chill was something like minus 15 or minus 20. EVERY media clown said that a "finesse" team like the Niners had no chance against a "black and blue" division team like the Bears on a freezing midwestern day in Chicago.

Half the Niner team came out with bare arms. They absolutely crushed the Bears. They out-hit them, they out-ran them and they just flat-out beat them. On the Niners first set of downs, Montana hit Rice on a crossing route and Rice took it all the way and just stunned the crowd. Singletary has talked about how he will never forget that game.
i remember that very well,, we could never win in chicago they said. the 90 team was interesting. had a great regular season but craig did not play well and unlike previous year when we were killing everyone we were winning ugly in 90. if you think people like me and others over reacted to things this year people really went nuts that year.. what is wrong with the niners? we just won but of course lost to the giants on the craig fumble

IIRC - game time temp was -23. Final score: 28-3 49ers win.
hands down, 1989
personal prefernce..

#1 - 1994
#2 - 2011
Originally posted by English:

Yes I know we didn't, but it was still the best team ever.

1989 for me...

We lost 2 games that year against the Rams and Packers but damn, what a talented team that was....

• mod
  • Veteran
2011 was fun as hell though. Just a total surprise
94 was bad ass with PrimeTime!
For me it is easily the 81 team and while I think the 89 team was better, my favorite will always be 81.

When I became a football fan. It was the Niners and only the Niners. I didn't understand wins or losses, but being a fan of another team was not allowed. So my first years as a fan, I didn't get it. By the time I was 10, I really got it. I would suffer with my dad getting pissed off and even my hard core Catholic mother would get into the mix of anger with swear words. I remember my grandma giving me the Niners letterman jacket when I was 12 and my mom saying later "don't worry, you only have to wear it around grandma" because I didn't want to be seen in it.

So when Walsh came along, the hope was there and it didn't take long for my fandom to shoot through the roof. That 81 season turned the entire attitude around for not just my family, but everywhere. When Clark caught that ball and knocked off the much despised Cowboys, it just went crazy. The entire neighborhood was in Euphoria. My dad and uncle showed up after the game screaming NINERS!!! And I never saw him happier. I remember the Super Bowl very well, but I could tell you just about everything that we ate, what we wearing and how we replayed that play in our backyard over and over again following The Catch.

The Niners letterman jacket still barely fit, but I donned that baby earlier that season and wore it proud. My mother was in tears.. Literally in tears as we witnessed that moment. It was the greatest time to be a kid. I loved the other years they won, but it was the 81 team that changed life as we knew it back then. We can never get that back, there will never be another first.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
For me it is easily the 81 team and while I think the 89 team was better, my favorite will always be 81.

When I became a football fan. It was the Niners and only the Niners. I didn't understand wins or losses, but being a fan of another team was not allowed. So my first years as a fan, I didn't get it. By the time I was 10, I really got it. I would suffer with my dad getting pissed off and even my hard core Catholic mother would get into the mix of anger with swear words. I remember my grandma giving me the Niners letterman jacket when I was 12 and my mom saying later "don't worry, you only have to wear it around grandma" because I didn't want to be seen in it.

So when Walsh came along, the hope was there and it didn't take long for my fandom to shoot through the roof. That 81 season turned the entire attitude around for not just my family, but everywhere. When Clark caught that ball and knocked off the much despised Cowboys, it just went crazy. The entire neighborhood was in Euphoria. My dad and uncle showed up after the game screaming NINERS!!! And I never saw him happier. I remember the Super Bowl very well, but I could tell you just about everything that we ate, what we wearing and how we replayed that play in our backyard over and over again following The Catch.

The Niners letterman jacket still barely fit, but I donned that baby earlier that season and wore it proud. My mother was in tears.. Literally in tears as we witnessed that moment. It was the greatest time to be a kid. I loved the other years they won, but it was the 81 team that changed life as we knew it back then. We can never get that back, there will never be another first.

Dang dude. That's a righteous story.