LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

Your Favorite 49ers Quarterback

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Your Favorite 49ers Quarterback

Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by BayArea:
I can attribute the vote to Montana being kind of a dick and Steve being a likeable ESPN figure.

He tends to "shoe" fans away from him. I get it I mean he is the greatest QB of all time but he had security hold me back when I was trying to get a sig and wasn't hostile at all. No biggy just seemed a little arrogant to sick security on a harmless fan and then smile and wave for the cameras. Whatever though I don't care but I got Steve Young's signature in 05' outside a spot where he did a little interview.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
I can attribute the vote to Montana being kind of a dick and Steve being a likeable ESPN figure.

He tends to "shoe" fans away from him. I get it I mean he is the greatest QB of all time but he had security hold me back when I was trying to get a sig and wasn't hostile at all. No biggy just seemed a little arrogant to sick security on a harmless fan and then smile and wave for the cameras. Whatever though I don't care but I got Steve Young's signature in 05' outside a spot where he did a little interview.

I agree that Montana isn't really too fan-friendly. During the NFL Experience in New Orleans he showed up late, signed autos for 45 mins then bounced, even though he was scheduled for 4 hours.

Still, he's the greatest QB in NFL History lol
Joe Montana was the best QB ever and I loved watching him, but Young was my favorite niner QB. I just enjoyed the way he played, his toughness. He was so exciting.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

young and montana both used the media and team mates to lobby for the starting job. in my mind that makes them both dicks. two great quarterbacks but they were both a*****es back in the day. they could have learned something from the way ck and alex handled the qb thing this year
Steve Young, lmao

He was Brett Favre's b***h
[ Edited by LambdaChi49 on Apr 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM ]
Favorite QB as a player (basically my fav QB of all time) Steve Young

Favorite QB as a person (not the best QB but definitely exemplifies 49er class and perseverance): Alex Smith
LOL wtf is going on
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Steve Young, lmao

The cowgirls too, especially during their dynasty days except the "Deion" year.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Joe Montana was the best QB ever and I loved watching him, but Young was my favorite niner QB. I just enjoyed the way he played, his toughness. He was so exciting.

This is how I voted as well. Montana was the best 49ers QB of all time but Steve was my favorite to watch. We shall see Kaep has the potential for me to vote another way in 2023.

Originally posted by calinig4life:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Steve Young, lmao

The cowgirls too, especially during their dynasty days except the "Deion" year.

lol .... that last Cowpie superbowl I believe was also a "Deion" year so either both QBs were underrated or Deion was simply the s**t.

By the way I think Steve's body of work is pretty damn impressive considering he inherited the declining 49er's dynasty. Favre was just coming into the league and he barely won that superbowl and Steve stomped asses into the the grave with his superbowl win. Blowout vs Barely. This is Peyton vs Brady if you ask me. Choke artist stats vs Clutch stats. Both have rings but one is the clear winner.
[ Edited by BayArea on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM ]
Cody pickett...... the original cowboy.
Colt the Real McCoy
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

You can't make "all time" statements about quarterbacking. The game is too different to compare across eras. Van Brocklin, Tittle, Unitas, Lane, Luckman,Graham, Starr, all did amazing things that nobody remembers because they weren't on tv. There are only two in the modern era who stand apart IMO . Staubach Montana. They achieved winning. They accomplished winning. That's what qb's have the capability of doing by virtue of the responsibilities of the position -- WINNING. They did the things to beat you a much higher percentage of the time than their other position peers. They made the right choices. The right reads. The right execution when the situation required them to make the right decisions.

ANd, equally important they did things that LOST games LESS than many of their peers as well. The key turnover. The bad read. The scared throw under pressure that cost the team a field goal first down or touch down in important game situations. That's why Elway is no way a top qb in my book. He made a lot of great plays but too many silly costly plays as well. A bone head for most of his career frankly, except when he got too old to improvise. Then he ran some good games, at the end.

Unfortunately, Roger did it a little better than anyone else. BUT, Joe is the only other other player is in the same ballpark. No one else. And, in fairness to Joe, Roger had many more hall of famers supporting him than Joe did. When you line up with half a dozen hall of famers on BOTH sides of the ball, it can help you out. Joe never played on the stacked era, where half a dozen teams monopolized the best talent.
Nothing like watching Joe in a close game late in the fourth quarter, nothing, no one compares to it, the confidence he had late in games was so think you could feel it in the stands, you feel it through the TV, you knew Joe was about to just do something amazing. You were more shocked when he didn't have a great 4th quarter comeback, than you were when he did!
Share 49ersWebzone