There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

System vs talent

You hear the debate every year about whether this player or that player is a system player or is really just that good. I've seen comments outside of the zone alot about some of our very own. Seems there are a lot fo fans out there who think Kaepernick is a product of the system, there are those out there that said the same about Steve and Joe, of course that is where the absurdity must end. There was absolutely nothing fake about Joe or Steve. Obviously I don't buy any of that bologna about Kaep either. There is no system about those tight window throws that he makes. His incredible pocket presence. He's just that good I believe.

It does beg the question though. What do you guys gauge in your detremination about whether a player is all talent or all system?
Every QB requires a good system to have success. Talent is also required.
If people can't see that CK has A LOT of talent... They need to go work for the Seahawks, Rams, etc.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
You hear the debate every year about whether this player or that player is a system player or is really just that good. I've seen comments outside of the zone alot about some of our very own. Seems there are a lot fo fans out there who think Kaepernick is a product of the system, there are those out there that said the same about Steve and Joe, of course that is where the absurdity must end. There was absolutely nothing fake about Joe or Steve. Obviously I don't buy any of that bologna about Kaep either. There is no system about those tight window throws that he makes. His incredible pocket presence. He's just that good I believe.

It does beg the question though. What do you guys gauge in your detremination about whether a player is all talent or all system?

Does it really make any difference?
Originally posted by buck:

Does it really make any difference?

Hey man, it's the offseason...give me a break here.
I trust Fangio to plug in the type of guys he needs on defense and keep a good defense for what Fangio wants to do on defense. I get a different take on Greg Roman. He seems to be more of take what he's got and try to introduce an offensive philosophy that would work for his guys. Like taking Kaep over Smith to introduce a bit of the read option for variety and talent available. The structure of the defense is more limited compare to the offense.
I would say you need both...The Rayduhs are a perfect example of lots of talent but no system(I'm being kind)..
Alex Smith is a perfect example of system talent.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Hey man, it's the offseason...give me a break here.

oops, sorry

Kaepernick is a talent and does not need a system.

There.
A player's talent establishes his starting point. The system can push him up or bring him down.
Aldon Smith is one of our only system players.
If a "system" includes good coaching then I'd argue it's even more important that talent. If we're talking about QBs then it makes all the difference in the world for a talented QB to find himself in a situation where the staff is capable of teaching him the fundamentals of being a successful QB in the NFL. Every QB that is drafted into the NFL is extremely talented. Some will make it, some will not, but most will perform based on how well they are coached up in the NFL. If Kaep went to the Raiders or the Browns, then is it even a question of whether or not he'd be as good as he is now? He'd be no where as good. Alex's transformation into a quality QB is clear evidence that you need good coaching to succeed. For other positions, it may not be quite as crucial but it still is, the NFL game is much different than college because every player is the very best and you have to perform to the level of your talent, and that requires really good coaching methods and a good system.
[ Edited by KowboyKiller on Mar 23, 2013 at 6:14 PM ]
kaepernick is a system
Kaepernick is a perfect example of a QB who is the opposite of what they usually call "system players" because he has all the raw materials to do whatever a given coordinator wants him to do. I'm intrigued. What exactly is the system that these people think Kaepernick can only run? And what system do people think he can't run?
It goes hand in hand if you want a championship. When they go hand in hand thats when a player and team go from being good to great. Joe Monatana would have been good whereever he went, but would not have had the success he had if he weren't with Walsh.

Steve Young is a prime example of raw talent, without good system and coaching, he would have never been, he would languish. Brees was a very good QB in SD, but being in Sean Peyton's system made him elite.

Take another position RB, would Eric Dickerson gotten his numbers if he were in a new orleans saints of now instead of a John Robinson offense, no. Yes he would get numbers, but the saints gunslinging would have mitigated the number of runs..

There some of course that get there numbers or non numbers by shere talent. like Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson and Jim Brown where everyone knows they are getting the ball and they still can't stop them most of the times.
Kaep's skill set dictates what the system should be. His arm strength and accuracy makes it easy for the OC to call lays.. Kaep is most dangerous when the play breaks down, it seems like the defense is in slow motion trying to react to his speed and quickness. Oh yes one other thing, he has that killer instinct.