LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Is Baalke waiting for Asomugha and Woodsons price to drop?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
PaulHofer - I don't know exactly what will happen if Kap goes down or the others you mentioned.

I DO KNOW what will happen if Justin goes down again [unless we get some new people] - Our pass rush will suck, Aldo wan't be as effective and our D will be totally gassed by mid season.
That's why, BPA, if DL is there, (or CB or S) we snap them up. With Dallas, Indy and Chicago having 15 picks between them, the likelihood of us moving up is virtually asssured. Then if 3 teams take QBs for need in rd 1...and i think they will...that moves our #31 pick up to BPA #28. It also means the 34th pick becomes a 31st pick, and that is with doing no trading, just 3 or 4 teams reaching for some very good 2nd and 3rd rd QBs in rd 1. No way we burn thru 14 picks. Right now we have 5 in top 96, and chances for moving up are great, so DL, CB, and S are all going to have a shot at some great talent....paid for by as many as 6 or 8 of our 14 picks. I think we get that DL, CB and S...and all will be pretty close to starters...if not outright starters. We also get an OL who will be eventual starter. WRs i think will be our late picks, unless somehow, Tavon drops way down, which seems impossible.
I really wouldn't be surprised if we signed Asomugha and turned him into a FS. The only way playing him at corner would make any sense is if we cut Carlos Rogers and I think it makes no sense to cut Carlos Rogers right now. The bottom line is our top-3 corners are still a really, really good trio of corners. We were amongst the best in the league in fewest passing yards allowed (and it's not like that's because teams just wanted to run the ball on us all day like why the Jets have a good ranking there) and only Pittsburgh allowed fewer yards/attempt. You don't do that with sucky corners. We could have played better in certain spots in the postseason, but let's also remember that not only were we playing some incredibly dynamic pass offenses in the playoffs as well, we were doing it with the Smiths (arguably the 2 most valuable players on the team and certainly the 2 most vital members of our pass defense) severely limited. Hopefully Justin makes a complete recovery though and is able to fend off father time for at least another year. It could obviously be a concern that he's gonna be 34, but let's hope it's not.
I think Baalke and HARBAUGH are doing a HELLL of a Job!! They took over the 49er franchise that had talent but no leadership and direction and completely transformed the team into LEGIT contenders and YOUNg and Fast! I am soo stoked, I wasn't in love with the Jenkins drafting but who knows, if Baalke liked him then he probably is a good fit, he just needs reps and strenghth. In Jim and Trent B I trust!!
Neither side is in a rush. NA is going to wait to see after the draft when teams react to what they didn't get and need. The niners will wait for the same reason, even then there is no rush or need to get into a bidding war since they already have Carlos. Besides NA has to prove himself, his stats even though it was in a system that was not to his benefit were dismal. The price has to be right and if they don't want to be here unless the money is right then you don't want them, because you want guys that want to win and are about team. You come here and prove yourself, then you will be rewarded later either by the niners or another team with a fatter contract.

Too many fans want them signed simply because of name recognition and not thinking if they are still good enough for our team and if the price is right.
The 49ers may not have an offer for Namdi or Woodsen at this point. It's curious that nobody has picked them up. They are at least serviceable at worst, at best they play like they have played in the past. I wonder if the 49ers are waiting to see if they can sign a DE first?

Curious.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
The secondary, IMO, was exposed when Justin went down in the Pats game and was NEVER the same. That's why we need to address DLine in a very big way in the draft. What happens if he goes down in game one and Ray Mac gets hurt?

That said, I think it could be a couple of things in play:

a). Trent is trying to clear cap room so he can sign one of them on a price that has been spoken about OR

b). He is just waiting them out as the market settles.

VERY tough call. It would be great to get both, Asso for 2+ years - and we'll just have to wait and see.
What happens if Kaep goes down? Crabtree, VD, or Boldin?

What happens if Willis goes down? Brooks, Bowman or Aldon? An average QB could light up that secondary like a forest fire....
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fister30:
The 49ers may not have an offer for Namdi or Woodsen at this point. It's curious that nobody has picked them up. They are at least serviceable at worst, at best they play like they have played in the past. I wonder if the 49ers are waiting to see if they can sign a DE first?

Curious.

I'm probably one of the few that don't want them to sign a free agent DE, that's the position I hope they go in the draft. I also think Nnamdi is mulling over his decision and probably knows this is his last decent contract he will be getting, so it makes the decision even harder to make.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fister30:

Curious.
or perhaps the niners believe they can do better, especially in regards to woodson, in the draft.
There are at least three or four corners in the draft who are on the taller side that specialize in physical press coverage and who will be available in the second and third rounds. They're probably in the process of analyzing these players before they take a chance on Asomugha. If they get someone who can do what Asomugha can do in the draft, they get a player for at least a few years at the lowest possible cost.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'm probably one of the few that don't want them to sign a free agent DE, that's the position I hope they go in the draft. I also think Nnamdi is mulling over his decision and probably knows this is his last decent contract he will be getting, so it makes the decision even harder to make.

We can do both. We could get a free agent like Idonije and a rookie to go on top of Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Williams, and Tukuafu
Originally posted by GNielsen:
There are at least three or four corners in the draft who are on the taller side that specialize in physical press coverage and who will be available in the second and third rounds. They're probably in the process of analyzing these players before they take a chance on Asomugha. If they get someone who can do what Asomugha can do in the draft, they get a player for at least a few years at the lowest possible cost.

+1
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
it seems to me, Asomugha and Woodson arent in a hurry to sign anywhere else, and waiting for Trent to make them an offer ....do you think we will grab one of them , or both , once their price comes down significantly lower?

I'm hoping we can grab both as one year rentals, and take a big swing at the big dance again ....if not, I'm ok with grooming younger defensive backs...whats your thoughts on these two players ...do you want? ...or should we draft our own players to groom for down the road?

It seems like they are trying to take the NE Pats route, but this was just an anomaly. See where it has gotten as of the past 8 years ha.
Trent - smart man and totally has a plan.

Let's see very good drafts, jury out on 2012, hires excellent HC, worked 2011 FA an picked up soild players, resigned top tier players, and managed to work the cap.

Terrible performance. Bring back Dumbahue and case Vodka. NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

He's great and he'll keep getting better.

We'll get Woodson Asso on our terms and what's best for the team. No STUPID moves. I'm hoping we get Asso but if we don't then we'll get someone else.
Oh - Did I mention:

The Alex Smith trade, which many-many-many Zoners said we'd be lucky to get a 4th or the STUPID ones who said we should just let him walk.
Share 49ersWebzone