There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Favorite single game performance by a 49er player?

Originally posted by GNielsen:
Yes, but they came back and won it all the next season with Switzer, so I would say it was the players playing the game more than Jimmy as the "X factor." You could also make a case that it was Deion Sanders because he went to the cowboys that next season. But, for the game he was with the Niners, his presence on one side allowed the Niners to go front with back help in the other side, which allowed Eric Davis to jump that slant and take it to the endzone. Bottom line: the early 90's Cowboys were a tough team to beat.
Originally posted by robniner:
Jimmy Johnson on the sidelines wouldn't have prevented three first quarter takeaways by the Niner defense including a pick-six by the great Eric Davis on I think the first Cowboys set of downs. Eric Davis also forced a Michael Irvin fumble in that game. Deion Sanders called Eric Davis the greatest corner he had ever played with on any team.

Remember, it was virtually the same Cowboys team that won it all. If you saw how Jimmy motivated his Canes players, he was the "x" factor besides the three headed cogs. I knew Switzer wasn't Jimmy so they were game.

Yes, but they came back and won it all the next season with Switzer, so I would say it was the players playing the game more than Jimmy as the "X factor." You could also make a case that it was Deion Sanders because he went to the cowboys that next season. But, for the game he was with the Niners, his presence on one side allowed the Niners to go front with back help in the other side, which allowed Eric Davis to jump that slant and take it to the endzone. Bottom line: the early 90's Cowboys were a tough team to beat.

I was never sold on Barry Switzer because he was virtually coaching Jimmy Johnson's players. Deion was a huge piece in their run in '95, or was it all Larry Brown?
Don't forget the Merton Hanks chicken dance
[ Edited by robniner on Mar 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM ]
A LOT of great picks....

JT dual 90 on MNF, Rice 5 TDs against Falcons, Montana 4 TDs against Eagles '89, Alex Saints '11.....

I had to put on my NINER THINKING CAP on to come up with something nobody else has.....and I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet:

Ricky Watters 5 RUSHING Touchdowns against the New York Football Giants, 1993 NFC Divisional playoff game!!!

Who would have ever thought a Niner would have 5 Rushing TDs in one game? It's not an NFL record, but probably the most since I think Gale Sayers had 6 back in the day.
T.O. against the Packers in the playoffs in 98'/99... for the simple fact that it was such a storybook chapter of redemption. I remember him being horrible for the game, dropping a surefire TD early in the game and a then a crucial 3rd down grab that would have given them a 1st and pretty much sealed a victory, then to come back and make the winning TD grab with OWENS OWENS OWENS. In many ways his game was a microcosm of our battles w GB for 3-4 years...heartbreak after heartbreak, failure and failure, but that 1 grab was symbolic of erasing those 3-4 years of frustration and heartbreak
You cant pick 1.. There are so many In recent history, 49ERS VS SAINTS with Alex under 4 minutes. And Kaep and Gore in the superbowl .I know we didn't get the crown this year but trust me you Keaep and Gore WILL GET IT!!!!
Originally posted by nally25:
T.O. against the Packers in the playoffs in 98'/99... for the simple fact that it was such a storybook chapter of redemption. I remember him being horrible for the game, dropping a surefire TD early in the game and a then a crucial 3rd down grab that would have given them a 1st and pretty much sealed a victory, then to come back and make the winning TD grab with OWENS OWENS OWENS. In many ways his game was a microcosm of our battles w GB for 3-4 years...heartbreak after heartbreak, failure and failure, but that 1 grab was symbolic of erasing those 3-4 years of frustration and heartbreak

I remember that! That was pure elation because of the losses they would put on us. Was one hell of a catch,especially in traffic.
[ Edited by robniner on Mar 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM ]
Frank Gore is my Favorite 49er all time. Period. I was a 49ers fan as long as i can remember, but started seriously following the 49ers in the late 80's when i was old enough to understand football.

Frank Gore is the definition of 49ers football. Love him. He was one of te few bright spots that carried us through the dark ages. I cried when we lost the superbowl, but those tears were mostly for Frank.

His Performance in the superbowl this year was one of the most underrated perfomances by a 49er all time. He deserved the carries at the end. Nothing would have stoped him. Nothing. 19 Attempts, 110 yards, 5.8 average, Long of 33, and one TD. His entire post season as amazing this year, but hardly anyone talked about him. 319 yards, 5.1 yards a carry, 4 TDS, total, and 48 yards on two receptions against GB where he rushed for 119

One of the most dominate performance by a RB ever was his performance against Seattle in 2009,

https
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Frank Gore is my Favorite 49er all time. Period. I was a 49ers fan as long as i can remember, but started seriously following the 49ers in the late 80's when i was old enough to understand football.

Frank Gore is the definition of 49ers football. Love him. He was one of te few bright spots that carried us through the dark ages. I cried when we lost the superbowl, but those tears were mostly for Frank.

His Performance in the superbowl this year was one of the most underrated perfomances by a 49er all time. He deserved the carries at the end. Nothing would have stoped him. Nothing. 19 Attempts, 110 yards, 5.8 average, Long of 33, and one TD. His entire post season as amazing this year, but hardly anyone talked about him. 319 yards, 5.1 yards a carry, 4 TDS, total, and 48 yards on two receptions against GB where he rushed for 119

One of the most dominate performance by a RB ever was his performance against Seattle in 2009,

https

gdam...that's awesome!!
Steve Young's 6 touchdown passes in the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

https

gdam...that's awesome!!

Hope one day i can meet him in person and thank him for everything he has given to this team.
Originally posted by GBNinerFan:

https

gdam...that's awesome!!

Hope one day i can meet him in person and thank him for everything he has given to this team.

I agree. I'd love to meet him one day and just shake his hand and say thank you, Frank.
to twenty catches in jerry rice's final home game.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I remember Steve Young, playing very hurt on a bad groin injury, put the team on his back down 21-0 at half time to the Bengals to lead us to a 28-21 win.

thats the game Seifert threw a chair against the wall and busted it at halftime

but WOW, Steve pulled a muscle and was in agony , but yet fought back to get the W
This is turning into my favorite thread.
Too many to list. Has anyone mentioned John Taylor against the Rams in '89. Two short slants that he turned into 90+ yard touchdowns in one game??!! And both came in the second half while they were staging a comeback from a few TD's down?? Are you kidding me? And on one of them, he straight-arms a potential tackler to the ground while Rice is 80 yards down field blocking for him. Epic performance.

That was the game in which the Rams owner, Georgia Fontiere, came down to the Rams sidelines during the last two minutes of the FIRST HALF (!) to celebrate the win that they all thought they had in the bag. I'll always remember the shot of Ronnie Lott standing on the other sideline just glowering at that scene as if to say, "this game is not over, a-holes."
Frank Gore's going to get his ring. Frank Gore has got to get his ring.