There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Favorite single game performance by a 49er player?

Originally posted by GBNinerFan:
Oh man...so many memories it's hard to name one over the rest. But I'm gonna say my favorite is Steve Young's performance against San Diego in the Super Bowl. So happy to see Steve finally get the monkey off his back.

The best part about it is when Steve Young took the monkey off the back during the post Super Bowl celebration live on television.
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by SaksV:
Jerry's comeback game versus Denver on MNF in 1997.
Just 2.5 months from getting his knee shredded on a (dirty) tackle by Warren Sapp in Week 1, my favorite player of all time steps on the field, catches a first down and then a TD moments later. Nobody thought he would be able to do it. He did it. AND they retire Joe's number that night.. AND I turned 15 that day. Very memorable to me.

then he reinjured his knee and missed the rest of the season

Yeah but wasn't it a busted kneecap? Totally unrelated to the ACL tear. Well maybe not since he knee was probably still weak.

I''m no doctor but I've had an ACL tear. With ACL tears there are 2 fixes, using the person's own patella tendon or using a cadaver achilles tendon. When they use the cadaver achilles tendon, a new ligament "grows" over and takes over the dead tissue. It obviously takes longer to do this but I can be stonger. With the patella tendon option, they cut a portion of the person's own patella tendon which is live, bleeding, tissue and then then transplant onto to the two knee bones. You are able to come back sooner but then obviously if they use tendons from the kneecap the kneecap is going to be weaker in the short run. Jerry was able to come back so soon because he had the patella option but his kneecap hadn't fully recover.
Troy Smith vs the Broncos in the UK
I'll add another I didn't see mentioned

Terrell Owens against the falcons where he single handedly carried us to an over time win

(Get yo popcorn ready)
I'm a pretty big fan of Kaepernick kicking the Packers butt with 181 yards rushing !! Bad ass!
I remember Steve Young, playing very hurt on a bad groin injury, put the team on his back down 21-0 at half time to the Bengals to lead us to a 28-21 win.
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by SaksV:
Jerry's comeback game versus Denver on MNF in 1997.
Just 2.5 months from getting his knee shredded on a (dirty) tackle by Warren Sapp in Week 1, my favorite player of all time steps on the field, catches a first down and then a TD moments later. Nobody thought he would be able to do it. He did it. AND they retire Joe's number that night.. AND I turned 15 that day. Very memorable to me.

then he reinjured his knee and missed the rest of the season

Yeah. Broke his kneecap on that touchdown. Sucked deadcoonass.
Too hard to pick any three or four if you've been watching for decades. But, here's one that I haven't seen anyone mention but sticks in my memory and is the NFL's pick as the greatest scramble/run in NFL history:

Steve Young's 55-yard, keystone cops, bouncing off tackle after tackle run for a touchdown to beat Minnesota. If Young doesn't pull that off, the Niners don't make the playoffs that year and Montana doesn't ever get to win that '88 Super Bowl in the last seconds.
Originally posted by robniner:
Oh man...so many memories it's hard to name one over the rest. But I'm gonna say my favorite is Steve Young's performance against San Diego in the Super Bowl. So happy to see Steve finally get the monkey off his back.

The best part about it is when Steve Young took the monkey off the back during the post Super Bowl celebration live on television.

Totally. I think it was Gary Plummer that ripped that monkey off Steve's back!!

Jimmy Johnson's abrupt, mutual resignation made this all possible.

Jimmy Johnson's abrupt, mutual resignation made this all possible.

Jimmy Johnson on the sidelines wouldn't have prevented three first quarter takeaways by the Niner defense including a pick-six by the great Eric Davis on I think the first Cowboys set of downs. Eric Davis also forced a Michael Irvin fumble in that game. Deion Sanders called Eric Davis the greatest corner he had ever played with on any team.
[ Edited by GNielsen on Mar 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Jimmy Johnson on the sidelines wouldn't have prevented three first quarter takeaways by the Niner defense including a pick-six by the great Eric Davis on I think the first Cowboys set of downs. Eric Davis also forced a Michael Irvin fumble in that game. Deion Sanders called Eric Davis the greatest corner he had ever played with on any team.

Remember, it was virtually the same Cowboys team that won it all. If you saw how Jimmy motivated his Canes players, he was the "x" factor besides the three headed cogs. I knew Switzer wasn't Jimmy so they were game.
Originally posted by GNielsen:

Remember, it was virtually the same Cowboys team that won it all. If you saw how Jimmy motivated his Canes players, he was the "x" factor besides the three headed cogs. I knew Switzer wasn't Jimmy so they were game.

Yes, but they came back and won it all the next season with Switzer, so I would say it was the players playing the game more than Jimmy as the "X factor." You could also make a case that it was Deion Sanders because he went to the cowboys that next season. But, for the game he was with the Niners, his presence on one side allowed the Niners to go front with back help in the other side, which allowed Eric Davis to jump that slant and take it to the endzone. Bottom line: the early 90's Cowboys were a tough team to beat.
Wasnt able too see Joe and Steve play so I have to go with some recent performances (because we havent had any great performances after Joe and Steve up until recently)

Aldon vs The Bears
Vernon/Alex Smith vs The Saints
Colin vs The Packers
[ Edited by xela510 on Mar 23, 2013 at 6:46 PM ]
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Also, Joe Montana's epic performance at the old Vet in Philly in '89...got beat the f**k up by Buddy Ryan's vaunted 46 D but still had the last laugh after leading a comeback victory

...HELL YEAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I was going to post. I was at that game, it was fantastic.